1.    #1  
    You know there was a shortage of Hotmail EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) some time ago, that Microsoft caused and solved. But I've been suffering severe battery drain since the service went back, and I think I've narrowed it as the culprit. It seems I'm not alone in this, but need current information.

It's not the usual "radios drain battery": Previously, I enjoyed a day and half of use with both cell data and WiFi on. Now it's down to a third of that. And there's no new apps of patches in my Pre 3. I even came to think that the carrier was doing funky things in their towers, leading to phones going crazy reconnecting many times a day.

So it's not that cell data or WiFi radios are enabled. It's when I check e-mails regularly that my Pre3 eats about 15% of the battery in a single hour! I've set it up as "manual" now but, before, I scared off and kept WiFi and cell data radios off, effectively returning my smartphone to dumbphone era.

Does anybody know where to look for what's happening with the Exchange Synergy plugin? I mean the regular, inbuilt in webOS 2.2.4, of course. Perhaps some log can bring me evidence of why now syncing my e-mails only once per hour can be such a battery pig, while previously wasn't.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    thought everyone had email synergy to manual to avoid that and insane data useage
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    You could look at /var/log/messages
    I had this problem once, when one (Gmail imap) email got stuck and I could see in the logfile it tried to fetch the mail every couple of seconds.
    Don't remember how I solved it. Maybe delete it with different client.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    thought everyone had email synergy to manual to avoid that and insane data useage
    I've been enjoying a day and a half runtime for many, many months: That was with my single Hotmail account, plugged in as Exchange and checking hourly. GPS off, bluetooth, cell data and WiFi radios on all day, except when my "Power save" mode in Mode Switcher kicked in, from 23:00 to 07:00.

That's what makes me mad, I've done nothing and battery life sucks now. I'm considering a trip to the doctor, with all the hassle of reinstalling that it means.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You could look at /var/log/messages
    I had this problem once, when one (Gmail imap) email got stuck and I could see in the logfile it tried to fetch the mail every couple of seconds. Don't remember how I solved it. Maybe delete it with different client.
    Very interesting, thankyou. So "/var/log/messages" is the main log file for Synergy? Here's what I got:

Code:
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       1972996 Aug 14 08:46 messages               
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        198747 Aug 13 18:26 messages.0.gz
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        211659 Aug 13 16:14 messages.1.gz
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        241270 Aug 13 13:49 messages.2.gz
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        263533 Aug 12 19:34 messages.3.gz
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        231109 Aug 12 11:43 messages.4.gz
    As you can see, that's an astronomical amount of data! I guess I can delete the archived ones ("*.gz"), can I do it also with the current one? I'd like to take a look at it, can Novacom help me download it to my PC? I've tried to copy them to "/media/internal", but the fab InternalzPro creates empty files. Sure they are locked somehow. Hey, wait, here's how I did it:

Code:
    cat /var/log/messages > /media/internal/messages.log
    Will tak a look later. I also have some other atrocities in "/var/log", such as "mdnsd.log", weighting in three megabytes, and "til.log" at more that one. I'd like to learn what contains each one, perhaps general help about Linux will teach me: I've found that "mdsnd" is a DNS process for Solaris!

Can every log file be deleted with no consequences?
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 08/14/2012 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Very interesting, thankyou. So "/var/log/messages" is the main log file for Synergy?
    It's the main log for most system processes, which means almost everything.

If you're looking for EAS logging specifically, grep for "mojomail-eas"

If you have the "muffle system logging" patch installed, you might not see much Synergy-related stuff in there.

Will tak a look later. I also have some other atrocities in "/var/log", such as "mdnsd.log", weighting in three megabytes, and "til.log" at more that one. I'd like to learn what contains each one, perhaps general help about Linux will teach me: I've found that "mdsnd" is a DNS process for Solaris!

Can every log file be deleted with no consequences?
    mdnsd is used for Zeroconf/Bonjour, and runs on a bunch of platforms including Linux.

Deleting log files in /var/log is probably OK (don't know about the subdirectories) but you might not be able to view any new logging if you delete /var/log/messages until you reboot. There's not much reason to delete logs though, since flash memory doesn't have fragmentation problems and logs have their own partition so it doesn't save any system space.

P.S. Any email account set to sync "hourly" shouldn't cause much drain on the battery (especially compared to push) unless there's something terribly wrong. Looking forward to any results from your investigation.
    Last edited by greenoyster; 08/14/2012 at 03:33 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    It's the main log for most system processes, which means almost everything. If you're looking for EAS logging specifically, grep for "mojomail-eas". If you have the "muffle system logging" patch installed, you might not see much Synergy-related stuff in there.
    I see. Yes, it has messages about everyting, so you'd better know what to search... In my case, no problem: There's not a hint of the word "mail" in the whole megabyte of text! Sure, the Muffle Logging patch is working fine. Ouch!

Would you suggest to uninstall it? Would logs come back in full force? By the way, I've seen that "mojomail-eas" dude popping up in top's process listing: It uses CPU for a couple of seconds, then disappears. So it seems it's not hogging it.

As of now, I've "replaced" Govnah with Battery Monitor, and now "top" is the most demanding process, at a 5% of CPU usage. LunaSysMgr has gone down quite a bit popping on top rarely, with figures around 10%, and a whoppy 30% of the RAM. I had the usual WebAppMgr hog before, killed it (Luna restarted), and doesn't pop up again.

mdnsd is used for Zeroconf/Bonjour, and runs on a bunch of platforms including Linux.
    Thanks for the information.

Deleting log files in /var/log is probably OK (don't know about the subdirectories) but you might not be able to view any new logging if you delete /var/log/messages until you reboot.
    As expected.

There's not much reason to delete logs though, since flash memory doesn't have fragmentation problems and logs have their own partition so it doesn't save any system space.
    But I've heard that writing flash memory is considerably slow. Even using *NIX operating systems, that rely on swap files, is not a good idea with flash storage. Of course, there's nothing that can be done there, but perhaps minimizing storage use. But I know that memory hogs are also CPU hogs, as they force swapping, and that has a cost.

Any email account set to sync "hourly" shouldn't cause much drain on the battery (especially compared to push) unless there's something terribly wrong. Looking forward to any results from your investigation.
    Well, I see no results. I go back now to my environmental paraoina theory, which says that my cell operator is doing funky things with their towers (both at home and office), and making my phone go crazy reconnecting constrantly. Is there any way of proving that, reading the logs?

Thanks a million for your help. My problem is not solved, but I've enjoyed a lot learning new tricks!

I see. Yes, it has messages about everyting, so you'd better know what to search... In my case, no problem: There's not a hint of the word "mail" in the whole megabyte of text! Sure, the Muffle Logging patch is working fine. Ouch!

Would you suggest to uninstall it? Would logs come back in full force? By the way, I've seen that "mojomail-eas" dude popping up in top's process listing: It uses CPU for a couple of seconds, then disappears. So it seems it's not hogging it.

As of now, I've "replaced" Govnah with Battery Monitor, and now "top" is the most demanding process, at a 5% of CPU usage. LunaSysMgr has gone down quite a bit popping on top rarely, with figures around 10%, and a whoppy 30% of the RAM. I had the usual WebAppMgr hog before, killed it (Luna restarted), and doesn't pop up again.

Thanks for the information.

As expected.

But I've heard that writing flash memory is considerably slow. Even using *NIX operating systems, that rely on swap files, is not a good idea with flash storage. Of course, there's nothing that can be done there, but perhaps minimizing storage use. But I know that memory hogs are also CPU hogs, as they force swapping, and that has a cost.

Well, I see no results. I go back now to my environmental paraoina theory, which says that my cell operator is doing funky things with their towers (both at home and office), and making my phone go crazy reconnecting constrantly. Is there any way of proving that, reading the logs?

Thanks a million for your help. My problem is not solved, but I've enjoyed a lot learning new tricks!
    Yep, writing to flash is slow. Swapping doesn't really use the cpu much, but it'll still make the system slow because anything else that wants to read/write from flash will be delayed -- in fact, if the system is swapping heavily or loading a lot of data from disk (particularly when starting apps) you may see low cpu usage because it's just sitting there waiting for data.

There's a stat in top called %wait that shows the percent of time the cpu was waiting for data.

You probably want to keep muffle logging enabled except when you're trying to diagnose problems. I don't know how you can tell if your cell provider is being flaky though.

The biggest things that will drain your battery are, in order:

- Keeping the screen on (especially at full brightness). This will drain your battery within a few hours if you're using it continuously, even if you're just writing a long memo with phone/data off.

- Phone/data usage, and maintaining a signal to the cell tower (especially in bad coverage).

- Running the cpu at 80-100% constantly. If a process uses 100% cpu for just a few seconds, it won't make a difference in battery life, but games and video with heavy cpu usage will.
  9.    #9  
    You know that mixture of feelings, being happy and baffled at the same time? I am at it: As of now, I've recovered battery life in my Pre3, solely removing Govnah and relying on Battery Monitor for ongoing surveilance.

I've been using Govnah for many months, keeping it open at all times, but most of time minimized. Battery life was around a day and a half, like always. So I don't dare to blame it solely. Who knows, perhaps there's something else that makes Govnah spend more energy than before.

Aside from that, remember I killed "WebAppMgr" process, and life's rosy since then, haven't rebooted since.

I wonder, could anybody write an app that would monitor running processes, checking if they are going over certain CPU/memory levels, and offer to kill them? I know software shouldn't behave like that, but it could help a lot.