Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jcmarcos
  • 1 Post By greenoyster
  1.    #1  
    Instant messaging is one of the basic needs for a mobile device, and SMS has had us covered for many years. But people demand more, or they are forced to believe that they need more, and so the battle for protocols began: Perhaps many of you have seen companies enter and leave the field many times: ICQ, MSN, a ton more I forgot, and the current inexplicable king: WhatsApp.

All of them have the same drawback: They are propietary protocols (although all of them have been reverse engineered somehow), held by privately owned companies. When you chat to a friend, everything you say flies towards some private company's servers, and back again to him. You can't choose who gives you service.

Here comes my idea: Why not using the brave, old, universally supported SMTP and POP3 protocols? Everyone has at least one e-mail account, and if not, they are freely available everywhere.

My idea would materialise into a Synergy plugin named "iemail", which would actually be a simplified e-mail client.

For emitting, it sends honest SMTP messages, only much smaller ones, and with somethng that differentiates them from regular ones. Perhaps something in the subject, or better an specific header. Perhaps even the body is unnecesary, as for quick phrases, the subject is enough. Of course, group chat and file attachment come for free naturally. Even if the recipient has no "iemail" client, he or she will be able to chat with you.

For receiving, it polls your POP3 account, downloading and deleting only the messages with that thing that differentiates them from regular ones. Of course, polling is always slow, but no IM system can say it's really instant.

There you have it: Completely based in open, hugely supported standards. No closed protocols or specific, corporation held servers. Any e-mail server will do. No need to sign in into yet another internet service, even giving your mobile phone number beforehand.

What do you think? Surely this has been though out before?
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    lephilwld likes this.
    There's already an open standard for IM called XMPP, aka Jabber. Anyone can set up their own server and send messages to people on other servers. It's also much more secure than SMTP which is vulnerable to spoofing and spam.

It's widely used outside of the proprietary AOL/MSN/etc world and powers Google Talk and can be used for Facebook Chat.

Unfortunately webOS doesn't let you use XMPP on its own; only Google Talk is available. I believe there is homebrew support for it though.
    lephilwld likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    There's already an open standard for IM called XMPP
    ...and, if I had studied it earlier, I wouldn't come up with my "iemail" idea, which is completely insecure (but then, I'm a guy who denes the existence of security in computing). But I still find it funny, at least.

I'm trying to find documentation about XMPP, as id I was about to code a client for it. ButI can't find it easily, there's more about definitions and general information than examples.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    I also think there would be (too) much overhead with smtp and pop3. And while the protocols are open, the messages would still be send and received in clear text, so not much security there (unless you start using encryption but that opens another whole new field of incompatibilities and technical difficulties).
    XMPP is the way to go, you can also create bridges to other protocols. WhatsApp uses XMPP, too (with modifications probably). There's already a working open source whatsapp client for the N9: Wazapp
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I have never found any im that serves as well as text but I realise that is because in my country, and is basically free on any decent contract.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    The Facebook chat app that came out a month or two ago in the catalog uses a nice XMPP library to do it's stuff . . . i have a horrific headache right now, though, so I can't seem to locate my conversation with the author saying what it was...

The big problem with XMPP is that it's not very mobile friendly, in the slightest.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    I'm trying to find documentation about XMPP, as id I was about to code a client for it. ButI can't find it easily, there's more about definitions and general information than examples.
    We already have XMPP via libpurple: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html