Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, I was on the phone with HP today to dispute a charge I had received. You see I had purchased app ABC with my Touchpad on 9/26, then downloaded on my Pre last night(10/11) again. I was then charged a second time for app ABC. This seemed odd to me, I already purchased it once and it was on record with my account. I was given some information. I'll bullet point it for you.

>When you buy a touchpad and activate it for the first time you have ONE opportunity to copy and work off you existing Pre or Pixi profile
    >Once this happens you have created a touchpad version of the account and the two will never interact again
    >Your contacts will never sync, your apps will always need to be purchased multiple times, and so much for synergy between phone and tablet

I dont know why they make two separate indexes or why they cant talk to each other. Mainly an informative post, but any ideas or workarounds are welcome.
    I know at least two apps with those this isn't right.

TapNote and MaptoolPro...purchased once and availabel on both devices.

It should be the norm to buy once and enjoy on both, or better three devices (2phones).

Cheers
    Auctionmate Pro. Purchased on Touchpad, downloaded on Pre 2 for free.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    when I first activated my tp, all my pre+ apps came across. I deleted a bunch of them because I didn't think I'd want/need them. installed them months later, no charge
    Even ones I've bought lately, like Pack 'n' Track, I can download to my Pre- for free after buying it on the TouchPad.

Haven't tried in the past week. Hope it still works.
    Confirmed: just doctored my veer and cross-devices apps downloaded on it whereas I never installed them on my phone, only touchpad. And each time I doctor my Touchpad, all Veer's apps download on it as well. Never had to pay twice for same app (crossed-fingers) !

Are you sure you called HP support and not your carrier support ???
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Hi

I was wondering about some of this...

And forgive me if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here (and maybe there is a better thread for this), but when I recently added an Exchange emal account to my Pre2, I was expecting it to show up on my TP.
    No such luck.

This is per design???

russ
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Confirmed: just doctored my veer and cross-devices apps downloaded on it whereas I never installed them on my phone, only touchpad. And each time I doctor my Touchpad, all Veer's apps download on it as well. Never had to pay twice for same app (crossed-fingers) !

Are you sure you called HP support and not your carrier support ???
    Ya it was HP. It makes sense though, when i add new contacts to my pre they never show up in my touchpad, i thought it was just a glitch but this makes more sense. As for doctoring i suppose that works, but there has to be an easier than constantly doctoring all my devices.

EDIT: I just check and the rest some of my other apps are cross downloading. My contacts still havent been syncing. IDK what happening exactly with my index, but its annoying.
    Last edited by Something224; 10/14/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Gotta love HP support. I called to let them know that the cafepress website causes the TouchPad to lock up, show the "Too many cards" message and then reboot. I tried this on two different touchpads with the same result before I called. I just wanted them to put the site on their list of non-working websites so they would fix it.

The only thing she heard was "Too many cards" and proceeded to tell me that I was closing apps wrong. I shouldn't throw cards up, but I needed to pull them down and release or they don't don't actually close. Even after I told her how silly that was, she insisted that she knows and I don't.

Then I ended up going through their steps to fix this, which ended rebooting and loading the web page over 5 times (which froze the touchpad each time). I finally got to level 2 support. They tried it on their TouchPad with exactly the same results. They said they would put it on their list. Whew!

I got a call back yesterday letting me know that 3.0.4 will fix the problem.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Something224 View Post
    So, I was on the phone with HP today to dispute a charge I had received. You see I had purchased app ABC with my Touchpad on 9/26, then downloaded on my Pre last night(10/11) again. I was then charged a second time for app ABC. This seemed odd to me, I already purchased it once and it was on record with my account. I was given some information. I'll bullet point it for you.

>When you buy a touchpad and activate it for the first time you have ONE opportunity to copy and work off you existing Pre or Pixi profile
    >Once this happens you have created a touchpad version of the account and the two will never interact again
    >Your contacts will never sync, your apps will always need to be purchased multiple times, and so much for synergy between phone and tablet

I dont know why they make two separate indexes or why they cant talk to each other. Mainly an informative post, but any ideas or workarounds are welcome.
    This isnt an HP issue. Developers have the option to bundle the Enyo/Mojo versions of an app to be sold at one price. Some take advantage of this and some don't. One developer that I know doesn't bundle the TouchPad & phone apps is KalemSoft. If you purchase KalemSoft media player for your Pre 2, you will need to buy it again for your TouchPad even if they are on the same webOS account.
    something224 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Gotta love HP support.
    *snip*
    Yep, HP's 1st line support is pretty dire. I'm thankful i'm able to get by without having to call tech support
    || Flickr || Twitter ||
    Everyone's 1st line tech support is like that. You have to (attempt to) screen out the people who you read about on tech support nightmare websites, before letting them waste the time of the people who are really getting paid.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    only thing she heard was "Too many cards" and proceeded to tell me that I was closing apps wrong. I shouldn't throw cards up, but I needed to pull them down and release or they don't don't actually close. Even after I told her how silly that was, she insisted that she knows and I don't.
    Actually, for the built-in apps, there apparently is a difference between flicking up to close an app and pulling down and release to close an app. I found this out when I noticed that the music player was still running in the background after I've flicked it away. I reported this to the developer forums and was told by the dev relations guy that if I pull down and slingshot the app, it would close completely.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Actually, for the built-in apps, there apparently is a difference between flicking up to close an app and pulling down and release to close an app. I found this out when I noticed that the music player was still running in the background after I've flicked it away. I reported this to the developer forums and was told by the dev relations guy that if I pull down and slingshot the app, it would close completely.

Interesting! Just tested and it actually works

Thanks
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I bought Sports Live for my TP and thought I would try to see if I could also download it for my Pre2. When I got to the purchase or promo code point, it said my credit card would be charged. So maybe not all programs are freely downloadable on different devices after purchase.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    The only thing she heard was "Too many cards" and proceeded to tell me that I was closing apps wrong. I shouldn't throw cards up, but I needed to pull them down and release or they don't don't actually close. Even after I told her how silly that was, she insisted that she knows and I don't.
    Actually the HP rep knew what she was talking about. Apparently pulling the card down and flinging it off the screen completely kills the app vs. just flicking the card up. This is according to "unwiredben", an HP Dev Relations rep as quoted here: https://developer.palm.com/distribut...ingshot#p94338

So yeah it does seem silly; however apparently it's true.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 11/05/2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Actually the HP rep knew what she was talking about. Apparently pulling the card down and flinging it off the screen completely kills the app vs. just flicking the card up. This is according to "unwiredben", an HP Dev Relations rep as quoted here: https://developer.palm.com/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=18739&p=94338&hilit=slingshot#p94338

So yeah it does seem silly; however apparently it's true.
    I'm pretty sure that it only works for the built-in apps though. I've never noticed anything in the official API that'll let the app know if it is being flinged normally or slingshotted.

--------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    So if you just fling cards upwards and they're not really closing/being killed, then what are they doing (other than residing in memory) and can you get them back to dispose of them "properly"?
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    I believe pulling down does a force kill otherwise it does a regular close. 99%of the time there's probably no reason to force kill..I could be completely wrong about this tho

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it only works for the built-in apps though. I've never noticed anything in the official API that'll let the app know if it is being flinged normally or slingshotted.

The person I was responding to was browsing web pages, most likely with the built-in Web app. So it's likely the HP rep was telling him the correct information.

I'm not sure if 3rd party apps would have the same issue. Unwiredben said "system applications" which would seem to imply only built-in apps have the issue. However 3rd party apps can also create background services. The "start" routine allows 3rd party apps to specify whether a service should be forced to stay active in memory. So I'm guessing 3rd party apps running background services with the "force" flag on could have the same issue.

EDIT: @unwiredben on Twitter just confirmed that it is just built-in apps. Some system apps partially reside in memory after being flicked (up). https://twitter.com/#!/unwiredben/st...75458698240002
    Last edited by DanPLC; 11/06/2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast