1.    #1  
    There are some old threads on this but I am hoping to get some more recent experiences. I have a Pre Plus with WebOS 1.4.5.1 and a Touchpad with WebOS 3.02.

From what I have read, if I share the Palm Profile with the TP the profile will convert and not work with the phone.

That also matches my experience as I used the profile on the TP and when I had to Dr. and restore the phone nothing matched.

So now I need to replace my Pre Plus. Should I set up a new profile for the phone?

Thanks
    That info is incorrect. With one Palm Profile you cannot have more than one webOS phone but you can connect multiple TouchPads. So you can use the same profile for one phone plus I think up to 5 TouchPads.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    That info is incorrect. With one Palm Profile you cannot have more than one webOS phone but you can connect multiple TouchPads. So you can use the same profile for one phone plus I think up to 5 TouchPads.
    I think the OP's question is more about what problems will occur when using an existing profile on a phone running 1.4.5 and also with newer devices running 3.0.2 (or 2.1 as well i suppose).
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I think the OP's question is more about what problems will occur when using an existing profile on a phone running 1.4.5 and also with newer devices running 3.0.2 (or 2.1 as well i suppose).
    Not quite. What was stated in the OP was this : "From what I have read, if I share the Palm Profile with the TP the profile will convert and not work with the phone."

The profile doesn't "convert" so I'm not sure what he means by this. Basically within your Palm Profile a new device is added. Whatever compatible apps that were downloaded will be transferred to the TouchPad. There are plenty of people on this forum who are using a Sprint Pre with 1.4.5 and a TouchPad on the same profile.

The OP then goes on to say: "That also matches my experience as I used the profile on the TP and when I had to Dr. and restore the phone nothing matched."

This behavior is expected. If you have a TouchPad and a phone or even multiple TouchPads linked to the same Palm Profile, doctoring one should not affect the other. But you will still be able to redownload whatever apps you've got synced to your Palm Profile.

So if you need to replace your phone, all you have to do is remove your profile from the old one and sign into your existing profile on the new phone.
    I am, therefore I think
    Ah, a very nice "lawyerly" response, but this a matter of more than semantics or reading comprehension in a vacuum...

The profile doesn't "convert" so I'm not sure what he means by this.
    Here's where you should have stopped. Explanation below.

The OP then goes on to say: "That also matches my experience as I used the profile on the TP and when I had to Dr. and restore the phone nothing matched."

This behavior is expected. If you have a TouchPad and a phone or even multiple TouchPads linked to the same Palm Profile, doctoring one should not affect the other. But you will still be able to redownload whatever apps you've got synced to your Palm Profile.
    You stepped back over your own words here. The device behavior you asserted as expected is not what the OP's quote says happened. ("...when I had to Dr. and restore the phone nothing matched.") HIS symptoms of nothing matching are in fact part of the true expected behavior in this case

So if you need to replace your phone, all you have to do is remove your profile from the old one and sign into your existing profile on the new phone.
    Not quite. You missed the point entirely.

Now to explain:

-Prior to the Touchpad, with phone devices, only one phone device could be logged into a profile at the same time.

-The Touchpad is the first webOS device to accommodate multiple devices concurrently using the same profile.

-A profile from webOS phone can also be used on a Touchpad, with caveats, but is not recommended.

-There is a known issue with using profiles from 1.4.5 devices. If a profile originally created on a 1.4.5 device is ever used to log into a device with a newer webOS version, whether a phone running 2.x or a Touchpad running 3.x, that profile is converted on the HP profile servers to a newer and different data format that was implemented since webOS 2.0 onward. This conversion cannot be reversed.

When the OP used the profile from his 1.4.5.1 Pre Plus to log into his new Touchpad, that profile was then converted to the format compatible with the newer versions of webOS, thereby no longer fully compatible with his 1.4.5.1 device.

While there are users that currently share 1.4.5 devices and Touchpads on the same profile, the symptoms of profile disparities will usually not manifest themselves until the user has to doctor their phone, or replace it with another 1.4.5 phone.

In this case, the OP accurately saw the issues manifested when he tried to doctor his Pre Plus, after having first used that profile to log into his Touchpad.

My recommendation to the OP is to use a different profile with his replacement Pre Plus if he intends to keep it on 1.4.5.1. If the OP would really prefer to continue to use that existing profile on his phone, he could metadoctor the phone to webOS 2.1 first, and in theory, he should be OK on the same profile with his Touchpad.

As a best practice, though Touchpads can share the same profile as each other, phones should be kept on separate profiles from Touchpads to avoid any issues.
  6.    #6  
    sq5. I think you essentially answered my question and to all the others, thanks for responding but perhpas I was not clear. I will recap:

-I had a VZW Pre Plus WebOS 1.4.5.
    -Purchased and activiated a TP on the same profile as above.
    -As mentioned all compatible apps came across and all was good in the world. I have since also upgraded and added some apps specific for the Touchpad.
    -Then my phone died and I did the normal homebrew Save / Restore, Redoctor, etc.
    However, when I reloaded the phone from the profile, it did not restore in the way I left it (I have done this before so not a user error).
    -My assumption is that when I added the TP, it somehow changed the way the profile works with the phone.
    -Now I have a new Pre Plus to activate and I am trying to determine if it would be best to use the existing profile that is now attached to the Touchpad, or start with a new profile so if I ever have to restore the phone I won't have this issue again.

Based on response from sq5 it sounds like I should start with a new profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    sq5. I think you essentially answered my question and to all the others, thanks for responding but perhpas I was not clear. I will recap:

-I had a VZW Pre Plus WebOS 1.4.5.
    -Purchased and activiated a TP on the same profile as above.
    -As mentioned all compatible apps came across and all was good in the world. I have since also upgraded and added some apps specific for the Touchpad.
    -Then my phone died and I did the normal homebrew Save / Restore, Redoctor, etc.
    However, when I reloaded the phone from the profile, it did not restore in the way I left it (I have done this before so not a user error).
    -My assumption is that when I added the TP, it somehow changed the way the profile works with the phone.
    -Now I have a new Pre Plus to activate and I am trying to determine if it would be best to use the existing profile that is now attached to the Touchpad, or start with a new profile so if I ever have to restore the phone I won't have this issue again.

Based on response from sq5 it sounds like I should start with a new profile.
    Ok good, that's how I originally understood it. Thanks for breaking down your scenario some more.

Go ahead and follow what I said in my last post and start with a new profile for this phone. That's the easiest route to keep things clean and simple, and you won't have this issue again.