Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I just last week switched to the new Yahoo calendar, and so far so really good!
    I had to do something because Google calendar had been incredibly unreliable when it came to syncing with my Veer and occasionally with my MacBook (iCal or Thunderbird/Lightening). Frequently appointments would disappear on my Veer and no amount of syncing would bring them back. They were on my calendar online but gone on the phone. Deleting and re-entering them didn't help either. The only way to fix this, I did this once a week, was to delete the entire Google account and then reload it. This would bring everything back until whatever happens happened!. A pain. So out of desperation and even after reading some negatives about Yahoo I gave it a shot. Their new calendar has the same options as Google now (sharing, multiple calendars) and it seems much more stable. I have 5 calendars and all of them are perfectly synced. Also I have tried different variations of adding and deleting appointments on Yahoo and the Veer and all, without exception, sync up very quickly and accurately. As some of you already know his is not the case with Google.
    If it all goes south after I post this message I'll let you know, but so far it's better than Google for sure. Give it a try.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Last edited by epajet; 07/30/2011 at 05:51 PM.
    EA

Veer
    i've used it for 2 years on a Pre- and then a Pre2. Worked flawlessly for all that time. My only gripe with Yahoo is the contacts only sync one-way.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    i've used it for 2 years on a Pre- and then a Pre2. Worked flawlessly for all that time. My only gripe with Yahoo is the contacts only sync one-way.
    Good to hear, and I don't know what all the bad reviews are about.
    True the one way contacts and the inability to customize their pictures are a nuisance but being able to trust your calendar entries made from your phone: priceless.
    EA

Veer
    I switched away from the yahoo calender a year ago because of limitations with syncing events- you could only sync events up to 3 months ahead.

if that's changed, I will re-consider yahoo calender again.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I switched away from the yahoo calender a year ago because of limitations with syncing events- you could only sync events up to 3 months ahead.

if that's changed, I will re-consider yahoo calender again.
    I just checked my calendars and I have recurrent events all the way to January 2012. I think you would find the 'new' Yahoo calendar much improved and it just works whereas Google, at the moment, has this unknown component to it that doesn't inspire much confidence.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    EA

Veer
    I also had problems with the Google calendar sync (Veer, webos 2.1). 'Sync now' just does not work, most events sync eventually, but often way later than within the specified auto-sync interval. From time to time I had to remove and re-add the Google account from the Veer in order to motivate it to perform a sync at all. This, for me, is not acceptable.

Next thing I tried was Yahoo calendar and syncing events here works instantly ... BUT it only syncs 8 (or 12 - I forgot) weeks in advance. This is related to the event start dates so that recurring events will show if they start within the sync window. This, I understand, is by design (on the WEBOS side) - but why???? To my mind this is a feature that constitutes a bug from a user's perspective. Unless a patch is coming up to change this syncing limitation this makes Yahoo calendar sync more or less useless to many people.

What sort of works for me is setting up a Google calendar via an exchange account. Note that the synch interval for this actually CAN be set ... but only in the email prefs (even if you do not have an email account with the Google Calendar account). Synching works now dependably and, if required, instantly ... at the expense of some events showing up twice, once in the Google calendar (where they belong), but also in an 'undefined' calendar which displays in 'all calendars' and in 'default calendars' view. Deleting these entries will sometimes wipe the event from Google calendar too so that you have to live with this annoyance ... Thus Google Calendar via exchange offers a reasonable syncing solution only as long as you are using only one calendar. Otherwise the duplicate entries are unbearably annoying.

It's embarrassing for HP that they fail to offer a core functionality like dependable calendar synch with their smartphone OS ... not to speak about the crappy stock calendar app itself (all day events not showing in month view ... common HP ... ), which, at least, can be sort of fixed with the ubercalendar patch.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    just as a heads up, when I used to need to use the calender functions with google, I would text me entry to google instead of adding to my cal directly.

I dont know if any of you have tried this, but it worked flawless to me. You can setup a number to text to google for goog cal. Once you do that, just text something like dinner @ 8pm tom at peter luger's.

they send you a text back for conformation and later in the day you can check ure entry. You can also set a default alarm and you will get a text, 15 min before or whatever you desire. Worked really good and I would really only open the calendar app to review schedules. Never to actually add entries. Haha sometimes I would have cal open and still text in my entry!

works really well in case any of you are having issues.