1.    #1  
    Recently purchased a Veer, am still a webos newb ...

I have my calendar and contacts syncing between google and my phone, and recently noticed in the accounts setup that my phone is also syncing my calendar and contacts to my palm profile. Is there any benefit to syncing this data to both places, or am i just wasting battery power? shouldnt syncing just to google be good enough?

Thanks in advance to the webos wizards out there.

p.s I understand i still want to sync to palm profile to back up memos, todos, aka the data that i cannot sync to google...
    I think you are a little confused.

But before I answer you, I have a question. If you open your calendar, contacts app and go to preferences what is the default account for them?

IF the answer is your google account then what the Palm profile is actually doing is saving your google account information. But new contacts/calendar events are saved in your google account. What the Palm profile does here is not actually storing the actual events or contacts but keeping a tab of where they actually are so that your profile tells the phone to look there.

IF the answer is PALM profile, then you are actually storing the actual events and contacts on the Palm profile and when new contacts and events are entered in your phone, they will only be stored in your palm profile and will not be seen in your google account.

SO... IMHO i think the first option is better for me. I like having my stuff in the cloud using google because it can be accessed by my computer (a mac, a PC wil do too) and some other gadgets like an ipod. I can edit the entries on any computer and still have my devices synced all the time.

The second option limits me to only palm products.

I hope that clears it.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    John is correct. You have a palm profile by default, but there is no reason to sync anything to it except for catalog purchases and account info. You want to make sure that your calendar and contacts apps have google (or something else) set as the default profile. Otherwise, any contacts you create on the phone will only sync with Palm.

Unless they've changed things since the last time I looked; PIM data that is synced with your palm profile isn't accessible except through your webos device, making it a poor option.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Yes, this is very important if you ever want to access your info outside of your device. If you sync with Google, the info is accessible. If you sync with Palm Profile, you have to use an HPalm device to see it.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks John and the others as well. John's post helped clear up what is going on. To answer your question, my default account for calendar/contacts is google - and indeed, I can see my info entered on my phone on my computer's web browser and vice-versa. So if I understand you correctly, the only calendar/contact data going to my Palm Profile is a pointer to my google settings, not all the actual data itself. That makes sense, and sounds good to me. Now I can't help but wonder if the Veer is sending my Google login password over wifi via http (aka clear text) or via https (encrypted), but that is another thread...

Thanks again. After using PalmOS and Palm Desktop for many years, this WebOS/Synergy thing is a big change. But so far I am pleased I went with WebOS over an iPhone, as I do not want to have to install iTunes bloatware just to backup/sync my calendar.
    this might answer your question a little bit more regarding palm profile. From the site:

Palm profile data is not encrypted on your device, but all Palm profile data backed up to the Palm server is encrypted on the server. The data can be accessed only from your device by you, the profile owner. There is no online data source or other location from which to view the Palm profile contacts, calendar, tasks, memos, or other items that are backed up to the Palm server. Additionally, Palm cannot view the contents of your Palm profile backup, even though the file is stored on a Palm server.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by tannenba View Post
    ...the only calendar/contact data going to my Palm Profile is a pointer to my google settings, not all the actual data itself.
    That is 100% correct with regards to PIM data like contacts and calendars.

Your palm profile also backs up many of your phone settings, what apps you have purchased, what apps you have installed, and I seem to recall some chatter about a recent change that included backing up your SMS messages, but don't quote me on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    HP says:
    > Palm profile data is not encrypted on your device, but all Palm profile
    > data backed up to the Palm server is encrypted on the server.

Ok, but how does all that data get transferred over the internet? Already encrypted (i.e. data is encrypted on the phone before transfer) or unencrypted (i.e. encryption of data is done in the cloud)?

I think this (transparency!) is crucial, but unfortunately I am not able to find any further explanation on HP's site. I only found the passage that ohnj2803 also quoted. And that is not enough for me. I am still running my Palm TX and am considering a migration to the Pre3 and/or maybe the Veer. But if HP is not able or willing to deliver some more insight I will have to look for another solution.

But maybe it's just me and the information is out there. It is? Or maybe I just don't get it because English is not my first language? I'd appreciate your insight! Thanks in advance!