webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   webOS Synergy and Synchronization (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-synergy-synchronization/)
-   -   CARDDAV Connector (Very, very, very alpha) (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-synergy-synchronization/284289-carddav-connector-very-very-very-alpha.html)

William_MPLX 06/09/2011 10:12 PM

CARDDAV Connector (Very, very, very alpha)

1 Attachment(s)
Having seen a few requests for CALDAV and CARDDAV synergy connectors (and indeed wanting them myself!) I decided to get the ball rolling:

Attached is a mauled version of HPs example plaxo connector that kind of works with (the only one that I've tested) CARDDAV server -so it inherits all of the restrictions that that has and has a lot more that I've caused too (notably it won't get contacts from subfolders at the moment). And it still calls itself Plaxo because I haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Please note that this is very much alpha (or probably not even that good) and at the moment you have to edit the serviceEndPoints.js to put in the server URL (So you have to have the SDK installed, then run buildpackage (included in my zip file) and it'll install it in the emulator.

Given all that, I wouldn't recommend installing it on a phone, but if anyone else is interested in helping, and wants to run it in the emulator against some different CARDDAV servers, I'd be interested to know if it works (at all). I'd be even more interested in fixes that people can suggest!

And despite all the above, it has managed to successfully download my address book from my CARDDAV server!

rgloor 11/28/2011 01:07 AM

[QUOTE=William_MPLX;2987856]Having seen a few requests for CALDAV and CARDDAV synergy connectors (and indeed wanting them myself!) I decided to get the ball rolling:

Attached is a mauled version of HPs example plaxo connector that kind of works with (the only one that I've tested) CARDDAV server -so it inherits all of the restrictions that that has and has a lot more that I've caused too (notably it won't get contacts from subfolders at the moment). And it still calls itself Plaxo because I haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Please note that this is very much alpha (or probably not even that good) and at the moment you have to edit the serviceEndPoints.js to put in the server URL (So you have to have the SDK installed, then run buildpackage (included in my zip file) and it'll install it in the emulator.

Given all that, I wouldn't recommend installing it on a phone, but if anyone else is interested in helping, and wants to run it in the emulator against some different CARDDAV servers, I'd be interested to know if it works (at all). I'd be even more interested in fixes that people can suggest!

And despite all the above, it has managed to successfully download my address book from my CARDDAV server![/QUOTE]

Hi

Have you come any further with your CardDAV Connector for Synergy?
Thanks in advance.
Rolf

tylla 11/24/2012 02:26 PM

Hi William!
I was thinking myself too about writing a CalDAV/CardDAV Synergy plugin, but didn't managed to start it. Have you managed to continue the work?
I will test in as soon as I get some time to spend with my emulator.

Hope to see some good news soon.
Tylla.

William_MPLX 12/20/2012 06:56 PM

OK, since interest in this seems to have reappeared recently, I've dug out my credentials to log in and post this.

Firstly, as you've probably already seen from looking at the code, it's very dirty. Not a good base for building a reliable connector.

What made me give up was I couldn't follow the documentation for doing the Synergy UI; which is why they have to be hard coded in my code. Another major problem was parsing the returned XML. I don't remember exactly why now; but for some reason I couldn't use the inbuilt XML parser (might have been a bug that might have been fixed since, might have been something else. I don't remember). Which is why the rather horrid string search. Next big issue is that at the time I only had access to a single CARDDAV server. And that server offered a *lot* of shortcuts for getting the vcard that are not in the CARDDAV spec. While I think that what I wrote would have worked with any CARDDAV server, that may not be true. Nobody ever responded with results having tested it on any other CARDDAV servers; so I don't know.

A final sticking point is that there were issues using non standard ports. I don't remember the details, but it's something to bear in mind.

Now onto the better news! The code for how to do a PROPFIND request (as opposed to a GET) should give anyone trying to write a connector a good starting point, as PROPFIND requests are mandatory for CARDDAV. From the look of some of the HP documentation, they were planning a CARDDAV connector, but it was never implemented. In other words, it's quite likely that someone at HP knows pretty well exactly what's needed (if you can find them).

The next bit of good news is that writing the information from CARDDAV into the database was very straightforward and is shown well in the Plaxo example.

OK, I hope this post helps someone!

dkirker 01/24/2013 03:02 AM

I'm going to try to make some time this weekend for helping with this. Mostly because my Google account doesn't want to sync my contacts anymore (yay...).

I was wondering.. I'd like to use github to hold the code, but I don't want to put it there and give people the impression that I wrote this. Do you have this up on a github account anywhere that I could fork from?

William_MPLX 01/24/2013 03:12 AM

I'm afraid the answer to that is no. Much of it is based on the example Plaxo connector that Palm provided, and that code might be available on github?

dkirker 01/24/2013 03:34 AM

Not sure. I think most of that stuff existed in a zip file with the SDK.

Would you have any objection to me putting this on github?

William_MPLX 01/24/2013 03:35 AM

None whatsoever.