Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    After trashing about 6 Pre's, she finally killed it off for good, and was moved to a Nexus 4G.

Naturally, she's lost all her contacts, because she never ran the backup or tried to sync to Google.

I've tried searching for a way to export directly from the Palm profile, but can't find anything-- is there something that I was missing? (and if so, I apologize in advance)

Assuming that I haven't missed something, has anyone had any experience with loading a different profile onto a device? I'm guessing that I can send *my* Pre to the doctor, log in with her profile, run a backup, doctor it again, and go back to me, but I'm concerned that I might lock myself out.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of switcheroo?
    To assuage your worst fears: you won't lock yourself out; me and countless others have switched between multiple profiles without any hitch.

Unless your friend manually disabled profile backups, webOS will automagically run backups every day without any user intervention, so there's a good chance that her info is in fact stored in her Palm Profile.

So you could, in fact, backup all your data with Save&Restore (in order to really not lose anything except SMS, unless you're on webOS 2), doctor or erase your phone, log in using her credentials, have all her data sync to your device, add her google mail account, and have all of her contacts be synced to that.

When done, simply re-doctor your phone or do another erase, and log yourself in using your own credentials. Easy-peasy. Just be careful not to lose any of your own data; once again, Save&Restore may prove to be your best friend.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Ok, cool. I already have S&R on there, and frankly, this makes me realize that I should back *my* crap up anyway, so I guess I see how much she wants to suck up to me this weekend
    There's no easy way to move all of your Palm Profile contacts to Google. You're actually best off installing the "Send all Contacts via Email" patch, which you can then import the vcf to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's no easy way to move all of your Palm Profile contacts to Google. You're actually best off installing the "Send all Contacts via Email" patch, which you can then import the vcf to Google.
    Actually that's incorrect.

How to: Export your webOS contacts to CSV | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

##66623# on the dialer jumps you to a screen that lets you get a simple export dumped into the USB storage on your Pre or Pixi.

That code doesn't work on AT&T.

If that doesn't work, just use the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Didn't know about that one.

If ##66623# is the code for Sprint, it's most likely the case that #*66623# would work on AT&T.
    If it follows the usual pattern for dialer codes, it'd be #*66623# (dial) on AT&T.
    wouldn't it be sufficient to just go to the contacts app -> preferences and then switch the default storage for contacts from the palm profile to any other cloud-based service like your google mail and then run a backup?

I've never done any of this but I always thought that's how it would work...
    The default account setting is only for new contacts. You'd have to move each contact one-by-one.