1.    #1  
    When I add an IMAP subfolder, it now sorts with the top-level folders, instead of appearing under the folder it is a sub-folder of.

I have been able to add sub-folders in the past, and they displayed correctly.

I use fastmail, which is where I usually create folders and subfolders. From there, I sync them with my Pre and with Outlook (just Outlook, not Exchange).

I have several patches applied to my email app -- for example, the patch that gives me a button at the bottom of every email for moving the email to a different folder. I don't know whether a new subfolder ever properly sorted since adding those patches or not; I added the patches perhaps 8-12 months ago. I can't uninstall and re-install the patches because after either an OS update or switching back and forth between two phones (repair situation), a bunch of patches seem to have become part of the OS itself. (Preware still gives me a list of patches I installed after that time, but not those which predated the phone-switching, even though the older patches still function.)

Does anyone know whether the cause would be the patches, or something else?
    I'm not sure if this helps you in any way or not but I have always had this odd behavior on my Pre 1.4.5. Everytime I would add a new IMAP subfolder on my desktop it would appear at the top of the folder list on my Pre. I just learnt to live with it as an oddity.

But if it really bothers you a simple solution is to delete the account on the Pre and then add it again. The folders then re-appear in the correct hierarchy after the Pre sync with the server. Hope it helps.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, that's what mine is doing. Strangely, after I posted I added a new top-level folder and a sub-folder to that new top-level folder, and that new sub-folder displayed beneath the new top-level folder. But I don't think the problem is gone; I suspect this just works with new top-level folders. But of course it's not worth re-doing the phone. I had just been wondering whether there was a quick fix.
    Well you actually do not need to "re-do" your phone as you put it. ;-) Just remove the IMAP account in question from Email -> Preferences & Accounts -> Accounts. Then add the account again. As the synched folders start to show up they will appear in the correct hierarchy.
    HS Visor + GSM Module -> Treo 180 -> 270 -> 270LE -> 600 -> 650 -> 680 -> Pre"-" -> Pre 2

TP & Pre 3-> still looking for them
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    This problem has existed since the very first release of WebOS. (Day one Pre- owner.) It is annoying. The problem does not seem to exist for Exchange accounts, just for IMAP. The only solution I have found is to delete the acccount and re-add it.

Every new release, I have hoped this would get fixed. Sigh... Please HP, fix this!!