Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wongwc3 View Post
    ... it says novacom not found, is there something i am missing? i have already turned on the developer mode and airplane mode. Thx a lot.
    novacom is required to communicate with developer mode device. You can install it with WebOS SDK (link on first post).
    I'm currently running this on my Pre+ which I've just upgraded to Webos 2.1.

To make it run I had to change the folder that the script looks for novocom in (was in Palm, Inc\novacom\novacom.exe, rather than just Palm, Inc\novacom.exe), and also change the address for the ins.sh script (remove the ~dp0 bit).

Then when I ran it I got a error message per line (I presume saying each line is ok, It didn't stay onscreen long enough for me to read it), and then It pasted screens full of garbage text - I presume this is it sending the import commands to the pre?

I'm guessing as long as it says completed successfully, and messages are appearing on the pre it is all ok?

Edit: just had to run it again (stoped part way through due to phone restart) - the error message that it gives for each line is:
    Argument list too long

Sounds a bit worrying to me...
    Last edited by JSladen; 09/03/2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: More information
    Just been doing a bit more playing, and the full error message is:

/media/internal/ins.sh: line 4: luna-send: Argument list too long

I get this error for about 40 lines, and it fails to import most of my messages.
    Anyone got any ideas of why this might be? or ways of fixing it?
    Right - After going through doing it 75 lines at a time (very slow, but working, and gave me the idea that line length over ~128k in the ins.sh was what was making it fail) I went and did some digging:

sms.jsjsjs $line$: $364$
    changing: (messages.splice(0,100))
    to: (messages.splice(0,50))
    solves the issue.

I also commented out the "cat ins.sh.json.jsjsjs&$quot$; ($sms$.$js$, $line$ $367$) $part$, $as$ $I$ $had$ $been$ $adding$ $mark$ $points$ $to$ $the$ $script$ $to$ $see$ $where$ $it$ $was$ $failing$, $and$ $that$ $part$ $stopped$ $me$ $being$ $able$ $to$ $see$ $useful$ $output$.

I suspect that it is worth setting the the splice value to 50 (still gave me line lengths of over 100,000 though...) in the main script, so that other people don't have this issue.

I hope this is useful to someone.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSladen View Post
    ... To make it run I had to change the folder that the script looks for novocom in (was in Palm, Inc\novacom\novacom.exe, rather than just Palm, Inc\novacom.exe), and also ...
    Would you mind telling me what version of webos SDK you have installed?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JSladen View Post
    sms.jsjsjs $line$: $364$
    changing: (messages.splice(0,100))
    to: (messages.splice(0,50))
    solves the issue.

I also commented out the "cat ins.sh.json.jsjsjs&$quot$; ($sms$.$js$, $line$ $367$) $part$, $as$ $I$ $had$ $been$ $adding$ $mark$ $points$ $to$ $the$ $script$ $to$ $see$ $where$ $it$ $was$ $failing$, $and$ $that$ $part$ $stopped$ $me$ $being$ $able$ $to$ $see$ $useful$ $output$.
    The argument too long error should be caused by long SMS message data, I am considering adding the message one by one instead of 100 messages at a time to avoid the error.

The ins.sh.json.jsjsjs $should$ $contain$ $response$ $message$ $of$ $data$ $insertion$. $I$ $understand$ $that$ $may$ $cause$ $confusion$ $that$ $those$ $messages$ $just$ $got$ $pumped$ $out$, $may$ $be$ $I$ $should$ $edit$ $them$ $before$ $I$ $print$ $them$ $on$ $the$ $screen$.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmarvin View Post
    Would you mind telling me what version of webos SDK you have installed?
    I'm using the version of novacom that is included with the current version of WebOS Quick Install (4.2.3). I haven't installed the SDK in full.
    Hi rcmarvin,

I have been trying to run the script and can't get the 'generate' button in firefox to work. I follow (new method) steps 1-3 and get a successful output message.json file. But when I click 'refresh' the 'generate' button still remains greyed out.
    Interestingly - the 'generate' button works in Internet Explorer.
    I am running XP, firefox 6.0.2 and java version 6, update 27
    Do you know what I am doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh.bastiaan View Post
    Hi rcmarvin,

I have been trying to run the script and can't get the 'generate' button in firefox to work. I follow (new method) steps 1-3 and get a successful output message.json file. But when I click 'refresh' the 'generate' button still remains greyed out.
    Interestingly - the 'generate' button works in Internet Explorer.
    I am running XP, firefox 6.0.2 and java version 6, update 27
    Do you know what I am doing wrong?
    I have just figured out what was going wrong. It appears the number of messages I was trying to convert was the issue. I edited the message.json file to just 1 full message, ran the process over again and succeeded onto transferring to webos!
    Rcmarvin - do you know what number of messages the index.html file is allowed to process at step 4 'generate'? I am going to try and halve the 17,000 msgs in my original batch and see what happens.
    Thanks so much for the work - brilliant to be able to migrate messages. Oh....and to a touchpad as well (waiting for arrival of pre 3)
    I had a bit of a problem transferring my sms messages from my Pre+ to my Pre 3. Everything was transferring fine one by one and then I started getting a message saying that the database was almost full. I just kept hitting ignore and eventually a different message came up saying that the database was full and that the phone needed to be restarted. The only problem was that it said it was going to delete everything and I had to log back into my account. So basically I had to go through the whole "First Use" part all over again and start back from scratch.

It's not that big of a deal as I'm barely activating my Pre 3 and didn't have anything on it anyways. I'm just bummed that it couldn't transfer my text messages Has anyone else had this problem? Or is there a solution to this?

Here's what was displayed on the terminal.

Code:
    insResult.push({"errorCode":28,"errorText":"bdb: seq->get - No space left on dev
    ice","returnValue":false})
    echo Process completed successfully.
    Press any key to continue . . .
    Last edited by selkies8840; 12/27/2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh.bastiaan View Post
    Rcmarvin - do you know what number of messages the index.html file is allowed to process at step 4 'generate'? I am going to try and halve the 17,000 msgs in my original batch and see what happens.
    I am not sure there is a limit on parsing JSON file by Firefox on Desktop but I suspected that there may be a message within the JSON file that cause the failure. Any update on the case?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seguardado View Post
    I had a bit of a problem transferring my sms messages from my Pre+ to my Pre 3. Everything was transferring fine one by one and then I started getting a message saying that the database was almost full.
    Do you know how many message you are trying to import to the device?
    Great Work.. successfully export my Pixi texts to Pre plus on webOS 2.1, thanks RCmarvin
    That was brilliant! Thanks!
    Do you know if these message well now be saved with Palm backup now that they are in Webos 2.1 format?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weichris View Post
    That was brilliant! Thanks!
    Do you know if these message well now be saved with Palm backup now that they are in Webos 2.1 format?
    I think so. I just wonder when will HP announce the backup server is gone?
    Brilliant, indeed! And very well done. Thank you rcmarvin!

I performed this procedure and was able to retrieve SMS threads from 2010. I just have one thing, and I am hoping that I did everything correctly and this issue is actually related to the SMS migration. It seems, now, one has the issue of the “application database is full” warning and the device is constantly asking for restart/restore. Is there a way to rectify that?

That warning seems to be related to the /var/db files (mentioned in a separate post, http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...most-full.html). Are these db files a product of this migration script?

Let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaaddin View Post
    Brilliant, indeed! And very well done. Thank you rcmarvin!

I performed this procedure and was able to retrieve SMS threads from 2010. I just have one thing, and I am hoping that I did everything correctly and this issue is actually related to the SMS migration. It seems, now, one has the issue of the “application database is full” warning and the device is constantly asking for restart/restore. Is there a way to rectify that?

That warning seems to be related to the /var/db files (mentioned in a separate post, http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...most-full.html). Are these db files a product of this migration script?

Let me know what you think.
    Actually I am not sure about that, I've not encounter that error on my device and emulator. But that could be possible as the db8 database (that stored the message) is shared by other applications (e.g. calendar, browser, contacts, etc).
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234