Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Loiter
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I will be replacing my WM phone with a Pre 2. I can sync my old phone with Outlook in order to export my contacts.
    My questions are:
    1. Is there a way to copy/import/transfer these contacts to my Pre ?
    2. My contacts are not in English, will the Pre have problems in showing them?
    Easiest way is to usually link your contacts and calendar to Google, then add your google account to the Pre.

For direct Outlook/Exchange, the Pre should be able to just import everything, provided it can talk to your exchange server.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    are you using outlook alone or with exchange.

If you don't want to put your contacts in gmail, you can buy Pocket Mirror and continue to sync with Outlook. That's what I do.

How many contacts do you have? And how often will you make add/change/deletes to them...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I have about 150 contacts. I'm talking about phone contacts (some of them have e-mails too). I used some third-party apps in my WM phone just to have them back-upped (along with other stuff). I didn't sync them with Oulook very often and I'm not interested in syncing them with Outlook in the future. I only did it as an alternative backup.

I modify or add new ones, about once or twice a month more or less.

So, really the question is what is the best way to transfer them to my Pre? I'm not a big fan of uploading all these data to Gmail.
    if you only want to do a one-time upload, you can use the 7-day trial period of Pocket Mirror to do that. I also recommend that you export them from outlook into a .csv file so you can back that up. If you ever had to, you'd be able to import that file into other apps, other mail services, etc.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Yes, it'll be a one time upload, so I'll give it a try.
    I suppose that I'll be able to back up my Pre with other means and I won't need Outlook again.

Cantaffordit, I think I saw it in one of your posts. When I get my Pre 2, you said that it'd be better if I used a "brand new" e-mail account for creating my profile?
    for that strategy, Outlook is your only backup. Apps aren't able to touch contacts from other apps. That's why I suggest the .csv backup.
    Yes, I suggested a completely unused email account for setting up the phone, just so you won't get confused by finding messages, contacts, calendar, etc already there:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html

It's just to help keep things straight.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I used the DTA tool to move my contacts to my Pre 2. However as I read in the Palm page, you cannot use it again as it duplicates the contacts.

Is there any way to move my Palm Profile contacts to my PC to backup/edit them?
    Unfortunately the various programs I see (like pocketmirror) create other profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I used the DTA tool to move my contacts to my Pre 2. However as I read in the Palm page, you cannot use it again as it duplicates the contacts.

Is there any way to move my Palm Profile contacts to my PC to backup/edit them?
    Unfortunately the various programs I see (like pocketmirror) create other profiles.
    Remember when I told you not to put stuff in your Profile? And you went ahead and used the DTA??? Argh. Did the DTA put them in you Palm profile, or did you tell it to put them somewhere else?

I think you are confusing some terms... more on that in a minute.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I really don't remember that. I'm so sorry I let you down
    Yes the DTA sent them in my Palm Profile. Why is this bad? I thought it was the default option.

Edit. Just read in on your guide in the first post. Is the only reason the fact that you dont have any access to the Palm Profile? Do you disassociate Palm Profile from other things?
    Last edited by Loiter; 03/31/2011 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I really don't remember that. I'm so sorry I let you down
    Yes the DTA sent them in my Palm Profile. Why is this bad? I thought it was the default option.

Edit. Just read in on your guide in the first post. Is the only reason the fact that you dont have any access to the Palm Profile? Do you disassociate Palm Profile from other things?
    LOL, you didn't let me down. I probably confused you with someone else...

So here is the deal. The contents of your Palm Profile is only useable from your phone. If you lost it or break it, you have to get another one to restore to before you can think about migrating to something else. And if the automatic backup hasn't been running, you could lose important info in a crash.

That said, give us some background. How long have you had the phone? Have you bought any apps from the catalog yet? How many contacts?

If you haven't bought any apps or created any new content in your contacts or calendar, you can always create a new profile and start fresh.

Or if you have a lot of history, you might have to just delete the contacts one at a time.

Do you have Preware installed? There is a patch in there that will bundle up your contacts and email them to you. Or, if you haven't updated your phone much, you can just start with what is in outlook as mentioned earlier in this thread...

Let us know where you are on some of this, and the members will certainly have lots of great ideas for getting your contacts and calendar in shape!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Thanks for the support.
    I have the phone since Monday. I installed some Preware thingies (advanced system menus and stuff like that) and some apps too (free ones mostly). Contacts are around 120-130 I think, imported from Outlook through DTA. I also imported Facebook contacts but didn't like the look of that and then deleted FB from contacts.

So let me understand. You propose taking off the Palm Profile account from Contacts and using another account as default? Why should I create a new profile? Can't I just go to my Accounts and turn off the Palm Profile - Use account with Contacts? Or even delete the contacts from my Palm Profile? (I haven't fiddled with my contacts a lot, they are virtually the same that I DTAed and I won't lose anything)

PS The main reason for wanting to edit my contacts with my PC is that they are not in english and although I installed a keyboard layout patch with my language it isn't perfect.
    OK, you can't turn off the profile contacts on the phone.

If you want to continue on the current path, your next step is to import your contacts to the phone from another source. If you want to continue to be able to edit them from your PC in the future, you will have two choices:

Upload them to gmail, or buy Pocket Mirror and sync with outlook.

Unless you are using an exchange server, in which case your phone can sync directly to that...

Once you have them loaded from another source, you will have to delete the profile duplicates from the phone one at a time. However, Synergy will recognize them as duplicates and automatically merge them so you could also just leave them in your Profile...

What are you doing for calendar?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I haven't done anything with calendar yet, TBH I don't really need it syncing. I suppose if I want to sync it with Outlook I should get Pocketmirror.

So my options are:
    1. Manually delete 120 contacts
    2. Delete profile and start again (I honestly don't want to do that)
    3. Make another account and have duplicate contacts. If they are merged, is there any problem with that? What is the downside with that? I'll have double the number of contacts in my phone memory? Any other problems?

The automatic phone backup by Palm works only for Palm Profile I suppose?
    cjf243 likes this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    And something else.
    I like linking my contacts to their facebook profiles. It's really nice.
    However I don't want my contact list full with all my FB profiles, they are too many.
    Is it possible that I can just keep my regular contacts with their linked profiles, without the FB profiles being present/visible?
    There is no down side to having your contacts duplicated and linked via synergy, as long as most of them link properly. It's usually pretty good. But, for contact sources it's all or nothing. Hopefully they will someday provide more granular control. But for now, you have to have all FB contacts, or none. Same with LinkedIn, Gmail, etc. You can remove all facebook contacts and still used the facebook app. That's what I do, because I don't use facebook for anything business related.

But, once you get used to "just type" you won't care because you will never open your contacts app. You just type the same. Usually first and last initial are all that is needed.
    the palm backup covers your app catalog purchases, phone settings, and contact/calendar entries in the profile. Contacts from other sources are backed up automatically because the "original" is still in those services. If you have contacts in gmail and wipe your phone, logging back in to gmail from the phone will restore/sync the gmail contacts. make sense?
    I use Pocket Mirror because:

1. I use Outlook for most add/change/delete of contact info, and the phone is just so I can quickly retrieve a number and make a call.

2. I use the categories in outlook extensively, and this is much easier from withing Outlook - because I have thousands of contacts.

3. I am not a fan of putting my business data into a cloud service, because I want to control them and not be at the mercy of Google.

But if I only had a few hundred, I'd just dump them into gmail and sync that to outlook. That's probably the best for you, or hotmail. I don't like yahoo because you can't edit your contacts on the phone, only from a browser to yahoo. Pain in the neck...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I believe they will link properly as they are virtually the same (the same Outlook contacts DTAed, would be added this time with Pocketmirror for example), so I think I'll give it a try and see what happens. The worst case scenario is that I will manually have to delete some contacts. I'm not a big fan of Google storing my data. I use my Gmail through my Outlook with POP3 and so I don't have any contacts in google.

Yes, I removed the FB contacts and use the App. As in your case I don't use fb for business, however I'd like to "synergize" the FB profiles of some of my friends to my contacts and keep the rest hidden or something. I guess I won't see that happening.

The problem with Just Type for me is that my contacts are in my native language. Although there is a patch for changing the keyboard layout (double tapping the Sym does the trick), when you type the first character it comes along with an english character. Then you have to manually delete the english letter and proceed. So it becomes Just Type and Delete. I've been meaning to create a topic for this in the patches section, maybe someone can find a solution (from what I know this "bug" is present in all the keyboards made.)