webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Synergy and Synchronization > Export Text Messages & Call History
Export Text Messages & Call History
Like Tree1Likes

Old 02/25/2011, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

I tried to save the call logs and text messages from my Pre and from my wife's Pixi. both were replaced with like units (phone replacement insurance). Both have problems on the new units, although the texts and call history are there.

So, learning that a backup of the palm database file doesn't work so well, does anyone have a working way of exporting this information? At this point, I'd love to have the text history in a memo file, e-mailed, I don't really care; just anything that I can go back and reference somewhere, somehow. I will likely have to doctor my pre and really don't want to lose the info I've tried so hard to save.

It's getting really difficult to keep on with WebOS with such a basic type of info unretrievable upon switching phones.
showie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2011, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have been looking for 1 1/2 years to find it. There is nothing stable or simple that I know off.

With the old PalmOS that was not a problem, backup everything to your computer and not to the cloud (WebOS still does not backup everything).

Great contact management, Calender, etc. interact with a desktop PIM system and sync at will, I really miss it! Now... I find I don't use PIM on WebOS like I use to on the old PalmOS. I have been using PalmOS from about 1997. I find that a pen & paper with a little WebOS works, that is pathetic HPalm.

I want to back up the whole system (call logs and text messages, etc.) & restore the whole system when the phone goes bad. I want to sync with a PIM system on my desk/lap top. And, I don't want a PARTIAL sync that is out there.
I am hoping for WebOS 2+ will solve this big problem. If not I will leave.

I would think the answer would been done by now. Backup & restore the whole system and a good PIM system (sync and all).

It's amazing how far we have come with WebOS and yet be so far behind PalmOS in so many fundamental ways.

I think I may have to change my login name.
palm friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2011, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Save/Restore will create a zip file with all of your txt, sms, and im's stored in an html file.
peterlemonjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: showie
Old 02/26/2011, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

That is better than nothing. To clarify my last post, I would like that synced back into another phone if need be.
How do you Save/Restore?
Old 02/26/2011, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Developer

Install the Save/Restore app from Preware.

Instructions are in the Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the official app catalog.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2011, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rod,
Thank you for the info.
Old 02/28/2011, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks; I'll take a look at save/restore. That may have to work in lieu of a true transfer to another phone.
showie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2011, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm looking for the same.
Save/Restore wont restore Text/SMSand Call History. It "only" creates some HTML-Files.
bcs-luggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2011, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Save/Restore wont restore Text/SMSand Call History
jngg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2011, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am making experiment on emulator to try to migrate the old sms message from Palmdatabase.db3 to new WebOS 2.1 db8. I have been able to add new thread and new messages to the system, but the thread did not related with corresponding person, anyone have any thoughts about this?
rcmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2011, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

There are already several threads about this. Not the least of which is the Save/Restore Thread...

I have posted a partial fix which 1. restored most of my call history, and two allowed me to save the IMs and calls to CSV files...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2879293

PS: WebOS 2.x stores them somewhere else.

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2011, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarvin View Post
I am making experiment on emulator to try to migrate the old sms message from Palmdatabase.db3 to new WebOS 2.1 db8. I have been able to add new thread and new messages to the system, but the thread did not related with corresponding person, anyone have any thoughts about this?
From what I know about databases the problem would be that the fields don't match. It's probably because the totally redesigned it.

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2011, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
From what I know about databases the problem would be that the fields don't match. It's probably because the totally redesigned it.
I understand that the structure is different. I have take a look on the new db structure with the help of Impostah, and I think that the new structure is actually easier to understand than the old one. I have managed to extract the corresponding information from old db3 into new db8 column with little transformations (using javascript). The problem I am having is to match the chat thread with a correct person id. The method I purpose to use is to find the person with the phone number, I tried to use the db8 search query but have no success. The documentation only have example of searching string value, but the phone numbers stored in person of db8 is in array form, I have no idea how to search with it.
Old 05/13/2011, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

In response to the original poster, there are two ways to do it.

The first way is to use the Save/Restore app that is linked everywhere and works very well for what it does. This will save all your texts and call history into an HTML file to view on a computer or on your phone. It will NOT restore your texts and call history on the phone, though.

The second way is messy but works to do what you want. It requires saving your old palmdatabase.db3 file (along with backing up the USB drive and doing a Save/Restore), doctoring your phone or just Erase Apps and Data, saving the NEW palmdatabase.db3, opening the new database and writing down all the relevant IDs, opening the old database and overwriting the IDs with the new IDs, then putting the updated old database onto your phone.

Like I said: it's messy. It's also somewhat complicated and doesn't have 100% success rate. Rwhitby is the pro at this stuff and has said over and over that he doesn't recommend trying that method to back up. Hopefully Rcmarvin's investigation into the new db8 structure ends up working so we can move our texts from the Pre- to the Pre3.

If you really insist on doing the database edits, let me know and I'll find the forum post where the instructions are detailed.
boarder1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 06:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have successfully used Save/Restore to back up my Messaging app contents with 1.4.5. However, on my Verizon 2.0.1, I don't see the Messaging app listed in the Save Application Data or Supported Applications list. Do I need a new version of Save/Restore for WebOS 2.0.1? If not, is there a work around that anyone can suggest? How are WebOS 2.x folks exporting their SMS conversations?
pureinstinct93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2011, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
I have successfully used Save/Restore to back up my Messaging app contents with 1.4.5. However, on my Verizon 2.0.1, I don't see the Messaging app listed in the Save Application Data or Supported Applications list. Do I need a new version of Save/Restore for WebOS 2.0.1? If not, is there a work around that anyone can suggest? How are WebOS 2.x folks exporting their SMS conversations?
In WebOS2.x all of your SMS conversations are saved in the cloud, so there is no real reason to back them up using Save/Restore (except if you want to read them on a computer instead of on your phone) like was necessary in WebOS1.x.

The new database format (db8 vs db3 from WebOS1.x) is much more fractured and no way that I'm aware of has been made public to view/edit the relevant databases on a computer. In db3 it was just a single database file you could play around with. In db8 there appears to be many many files to work with and no way to figure them out on a PC.

RCMarvin's work to transplant the SMS conversations from db3 to db8 has been very successful (not 100%, but close enough that I'm extremely satisfied with the method). You can find that thread in this forum section.
boarder1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2011, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Yes, I want to read them on a computer. I'll take a look at that thread.
pureinstinct93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2011, 06:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1999 View Post
The first way is to use the Save/Restore app that is linked everywhere and works very well for what it does. This will save all your texts and call history into an HTML file to view on a computer or on your phone.
DOes that work also on webos 2.x devices like the HP Veer? It would be nice if i just could create an HTML file with all texts and call histroy, even without the ability to restore it.
Trovatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 01:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
DOes that work also on webos 2.x devices like the HP Veer? It would be nice if i just could create an HTML file with all texts and call histroy, even without the ability to restore it.
Apparently no. Removed from the list of apps.

Old thread I know, but the first one that shows in Google when searching this issue.

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.
gbobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2012, 10:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just written a experimental save/restore script to export SMS messages for webOS 2. See if it helps.
Save/Restore Community Development
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0