Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just upgraded my UK O2 Pre Plus to WebOS 2.1

Everything appeared ok however I discovered the profile has not sync'ed correctly so what I was going to do was remove the backup and restore and re-create my profile.

In the past I had used the patch to send all contacts by email to back them up however that is not available in WebOS 2.1

I have the DB file (Objects.db) which contains the data but cannot find a way to easily parse the DB8 file.

Does anyone know how to read the DB file or how I can easily export the contacts?

Tom
    I need the patch that will Email all Contacts from my Pre2 with webOS 2.0.1. converted. I have all my contacts in my Palm Profile and need them exported. Since I cant run terminal or terminus, or JR Internalz, I have no way to export my contacts. Please help
    did you try this?

Quote Originally Posted by jays_pre View Post
    There is any even easier way. I did this via chat with Palm, because I want to have a backup copy myself:
    1.) Dial ##66623#
    2.) Tap Cellebrite Export
    3.) When it is done, connect the phone to the computer
    4.) Select USB drive then Open the Palm Pre drive
    5.) Make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected in your pc (folder options)
    6.) Open the TEMP folder
    7.) A file called "PIMmigration" will be inside the TEMP folder, copy this file to the desktop.
    It will show one contact, BUT! now open your gmail, go to your contacts & pick more actions & import the vcard from where you saved it. ALL the contacts will move to Google/Gmail.
    viola! done!
    PickleFart9 likes this.
    reading the db file is uber-complicated. But there is no palmdatabase.db3 file in webos 2.x, so I don't know where to even look for contact data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you try this?
    Wow thanks so much this technique worked, all I did was change the #*66623# for AT&T.

then opened up a dir call .temp and grabbed the file.

Thanks sooooo much
    sadly "Spouse", "Children" and "Nickname" and "reminder" won't be in this file

Anybody knows how to export them?
    This method sort of worked for me. I could not get my phone to sync for some reason and was missing a large amount of phone numbers. I solved this by grabbing the cellebrite info and just re-writing over top the .temp/PmMigration.vcf file.
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/14/2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: changed cellebrite to PmMigration.vcf
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    sadly "Spouse", "Children" and "Nickname" and "reminder" won't be in this file
    [.........]
    Anybody knows how to export them?
    I have looked into this and did not come up with a solution. For sure the code to export those fields is missing in webOS. There are even custom fields (!) in the 2.1 DB8 database synced from my Google account (Use Impossah, then Databases/persistent/contact.google:.. to explore what's in there.). Hopefully webOS 3.0 will handle more of those extra fields?

B.t.w I have ported the send-all-contacts-via-email patch to 2.1 . It's just a bit easier then 'Dial ##66623#' procedure when you export frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    I have looked into this and did not come up with a solution. For sure the code to export those fields is missing in webOS. Hopefully webOS 3.0 will handle more of those extra fields?
    Thanks for trying. It's sad that there is a way to export all (even synced) contacts, but then standard fields of webOS are left out.

vcard-standard would support NICKNAME
    vCard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and also SPOUSE,CHILD is supported:
    draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-12 - vCard Format Specification
    You are right about the vCard std. I was talking about what's in the Pre DB. And that is more then we can see in contacts, or export. Including 'relation' fields and custom fields.
    .... It's sad that there is a way to export all (even synced) contacts, but then standard fields of webOS are left out.....
    I think it's the other way around. Exporting all contacts just exports the 'standard' fields like phone numbers, address, job title etc.; but not relation (spouse etc) and custom fields.
    What makes it even more sad. The phone has all the info and the implemented function to export to Cellebrite does not make use of all possible fields.

But perhaps to fact this function is usually only meant to use together with Cellebrite UME Systems could be the reason only these fields are exported, cause the system does not support spouse oder children...
    given the limited fields supported by Cellbrite and the lack of accessibility to your palm profile, you should stop putting contacts in your palm profile. Google, hotmail, outlook, etc are so much more flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    given the limited fields supported by Cellbrite and the lack of accessibility to your palm profile, you should stop putting contacts in your palm profile. Google, hotmail, outlook, etc are so much more flexible.
    That would start duplicating discussions about those cloud type of services. So without the intention to start it again, let me just say that our company and myself as a private person:
    - Do not want to use the cloud as long as there is no end to end ('writer' to 'reader/writer') security and no escrow for the data for the service(s) used
    - Do not use Outlook, my/our choice on the PC is another one
    - Still use the palm desktop too and, limited in scope, google to sync (so yes, usage of some cloud services)
    - Do not use the palm profile, since it is also a cloud type service and as mentioned :lack of accessibility