1.    #1  
    Here's my take on where HP is taking WebOS. With all of the Android phones and Tablets announced at CES, the only way HP will distinguish and grow WebOS is to compete with Apple where Android can't. ITunes is the best media sync tool out there and it is TERRIBLE. Zune brings a fantastic interface but fell flat for years with little or no content. If HP can deliver a media management tool that incorporates the new App Catalog UI and back that up with fantastic if not exclusive media deals, they have an excellent chance of making substantial gains.

It's not good enough to deliver a phenomenal device as it will be quickly superceded by the next "super" phone.

I believe this is the reason HP is rebooting WebOS. It was obvious Palm felt media management was a big deal, otherwise they would not have tried so hard up front to hijack iTunes. However, with limited resources there wasn't much they could do. WebOS on the PC will be HP's iTunes on steroids.

So stop al the whining about how HP has failed. Devices are just part of the winning equation. Apple's been king of the hill because everyone's trying to beat the iPhone when they need to beat the iTunes, iPod, iPad and iPhone ecosystem.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Yes siree, i sure to agree with your point. they want webos whereever you are. in a mac, pc whereever. you will have access to all of your data~!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    But adding to this equation, Apple does such a great job because the devices are good AND because Apple backs them up with such great customer service thereby creating a customer bond. By strengthening this bond, they get more money from each customer as well as loyalty and new customers too.

This is a huge win for Apple because it takes more money and time to get a new customer than to upsell an existing customer. And upselling the existing customer is what is needed in order to have them use the whole "ecosystem."

Still thinking about my friend who bought a macbook and the one-on-one customer subscription. So Apple got 2 checks from her and for the second one they bent the rules and renewed the one-on-one so they got an additional subscription from her.

Because of this she bought an iphone, which brings the revenue from her to #4 different sales. The apple store sat with her until past closing to sync her new device which then had her buy the sync subscription. This totals 5 different sales into the ecosystem from her, not to mention apps she will buy and music, a total of 7 different types of sales!

If HP doesn't start to get that creating a customer bond is key, it will be a much harder road for them.
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/17/2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If HP doesn't start to get that the creating a customer bond is key, it will be a much harder road for them.
    Your whole post is spot-on. As for this last point, I think it remains to be seen whether HP will "get" this point or not. We'll have to see how they behave once the Veer, Pre3, and TouchPad are launched.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Apple does such a great job because the devices are good AND because Apple backs them up with such great customer service...
    I find most Apple "Geniuses" to be condescending ****s. The support I got from them as to why my iPod and iPhone endlessly "determining gapless playback" despite having it disabled; was to buy a Mac. I won't do business with Apple again. But now I'm hijacking my own thread with a rant!
    I do not believe that its to late to get into the smartphone game, but people with thier libraries hundreds of songs deep are not going to leave anytime soon. Lets just hope they do something good with nutise and synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jodoan1 View Post
    I find most Apple "Geniuses" to be condescending ****s. The support I got from them as to why my iPod and iPhone endlessly "determining gapless playback" despite having it disabled; was to buy a Mac. I won't do business with Apple again. But now I'm hijacking my own thread with a rant!
    Yes, they obviously have been taught a script to buy more of their ecosystem. Still, personally, they have helped me. I laughed at their phone support when they said I needed their external hard drive and they indeed, proceeded to help me format the Seagates. I told them I didn't want to buy Apple RAM and the guy steered me to the right Crucial brand. Today, a woman told me that she only supports Apple browsers and I ignored her comment and got the next troubleshooting step for the OS from her.
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/18/2011 at 12:23 AM.
    I agree with the OP - it will be the ecosystem. The idea one can access all apps, data, etc. with auto-scaling apps is nothing short of brilliant. The remake of WebOS will be painful (as we are seeing) in the short run but I have a feeling once the devices are out and the new synergy-on-steroids is in full use the pain will be quickly forgotten. Add to that a steady stream of new devices and you have a recipe for major success.

Now, stumble out of the blocks by releasing the devices and/or OS before ready for prime time and all bets are off.
    A crucial difference between Apple and other companies is that Apple doesn't just sell you a box; they sell a complete solution and relationship. Other companies are content to sell you a phone, or a pad, or a computer. But who is responsible for the software, the peripherals, the media, and apps?

Apple takes responsibility for the box, the apps, the movies and music, the OS, and just about everything that attaches to them. You do not have to cobble together your own cloud solution, backup program, training or tech support options. It is all there in one place.

For HP, or anyone else to compete, they have to offer a lot more than a box. We will see what HP's answer to the complete package is.