1.    #1  
    This nearly tripled my battery, maybe doubled, but its still great.

So I made the decision to have my gmail email forwarded (with copy kept in inbox because i prefer gmail) to my Hotmail account.

Turned on the hotmail feature to have them text me when I get new mail (it just sends the sender and subject).

Saved their number in my contacts (which happened to be about 9 numbers: .

Turned off any email notifications or pollings for new mail.

My battery life is doing incredibly better, and that is even with it checking for new Facebook notifications every 5 mins!

I also added gmail mobile site to my launcher because it is much faster than the native email app and ultimately uses less battery searching for new mail.

Good Luck, hope it helps!

Edit: There is a limit to how many times they will text you a month unless notified otherwise in settings (this original setting is for those worried about text message overages, which I am not). You must go into Hotmail's mobile alerts settings by going further into "To change your Windows Live Mobile settings, click here." when in the mobile alerts section. Then you must change it from 100 messages to 9999, if you get more email then 9999 in a month.. well thats insane!

- a Sprint Pre User!
    Govnah Settings:
    Running 125/1Ghz Screenstate
    Compressed Swap Disabled
    CFQ I/O Schedular
    Cubic TCP Congestion

Patches:
    Add to Spare Time
    Advanced Configuration of App Launcher
    Reset To First Page
    Video Downloads
    Last edited by GrantHeppes; 12/20/2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: More info.
    Do you have cell data turned all day? My method of saving battery is to turn off the cell data when I'm out of the house and turn it on when I need it.
  3.    #3  
    Well this approach would allow for you to still get email notifications. I leave Data on unless I know I'll be away from a charger for a really long time, more than 15 hours or so. I leave data on for the most part so I can quickly search the web, tweet, facebook, well anything I do with my smartphone.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    hmmm. Does gmail have a way to alert via text that you have mail?

another battery saving alternative that you can do is route ALL your email directly to gmail, and link your facebook acct to your gmail to allow notifications to be emailed to you as well. Leave gmail items to arrive immediately. That way only one email acct is syncing.
  5.    #5  
    gmail does not have that function, only hotmail, so I do all my emailing in gmail and just use hotmail as a notification service. Now for Facebook, I could easily have them text me also, but for some reason I love the idea of being able to press the facebook notification and be instantly in the app. Surprisingly I don't see much of any battery draining with facebook checking every five mins, which I expected would. For email it is mostly a matter of reading the subject for me, not constantly opening my mail app so texts are usually fine (and I use mobile web due to speed).
    Just checked and it appears yahoo and gmail also have options to notify you you via text that you have new email

Are you using hotmail as a pop or imap account?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    another battery saving alternative that you can do is route ALL your email directly to gmail, and link your facebook acct to your gmail to allow notifications to be emailed to you as well. Leave gmail items to arrive immediately. That way only one email acct is syncing.
    I tried to find how to do that. Couldn't see it, can you tell us how to set that up please?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Just checked and it appears yahoo and gmail also have options to notify you you via text that you have new email

pop or imap ....i don't think I even realized there were options on that. For a person who only reads email on their phone and at home, which would be better? and why?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I found how to forward emails via text for Verizon:

The first thing you want to do is login into your gmail account. In
    the upper right hand corner you will see a link to "settings". Click
    on that link.

On the settings page, click on the "Filters" tab.

You will see a set of text boxes that you can fill in. Put the email
    of who you wish to have forwarded to your cell in the "From" box and
    click "next".

On the next page, put a check next to the box that says "Forward it
    to:" and type the email address you want the messages sent to.

Finally click "Create Filter" and you are done!

If you need help find the email address for your phone please let me
    know which service you have.

Some phones will truncate the message sent to conform to a certain
    number of characters. If this happens, it'll still provide you with
    the notification you are looking for as well as a brief preview of
    what the message is about.

Any verizon cell phone which is capable of recieving text messages is
    also capable of recieving emails. The email address for your verizon
    cell phone is:

10-digit@vtext.com

So for example if your cell phone number is (212) 456 - 7685 your
    cell's email address would be

2124567685@vtext.com

Now I just have to figure out what Bell's address is.

Found it:
    Send and receive email via text message. All Bell mobile phones have a unique email address: phone number@txt.bell.ca. For example, 4165555555@txt.bell.ca.

I'm up to the part where GMail has sent the confirmation text, it reads:
    [Gmail Forwarding Confirmation (#55555...]
    myemail@gmail.com has requested to automatically forward mail to your email address

tried to put in the 5 numbers doesn't work, and can't get it to expand to see all the numbers.... I'll have to look into this more after work.
    Last edited by sledge007; 12/20/2010 at 08:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    pop or imap ....i don't think I even realized there were options on that. For a person who only reads email on their phone and at home, which would be better? and why?
    imap keeps all your accounts synchronized. If I delete email from my phone or home or work, it deletes everywhere. Pop I believe handles email only on the device/computer you are accessing it from, while leaving the original email on the server as is
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I have it set up to forward my old hotmail emails to my gmail account, did that when the phone first came out. I found a doc on the web through a search that the step-by-step of setting up the autofoward feature in hotmail. Since I set this up, I really don't use my hotmail for much of anything outside of the newsletters I signed up for before I got my gmail account.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  12.    #12  
    I found how to forward emails via text for Verizon:

The first thing you want to do is login into your gmail account. In
    the upper right hand corner you will see a link to "settings". Click
    on that link.

On the settings page, click on the "Filters" tab.

You will see a set of text boxes that you can fill in. Put the email
    of who you wish to have forwarded to your cell in the "From" box and
    click "next".

On the next page, put a check next to the box that says "Forward it
    to:" and type the email address you want the messages sent to.

Finally click "Create Filter" and you are done!

If you need help find the email address for your phone please let me
    know which service you have.

Some phones will truncate the message sent to conform to a certain
    number of characters. If this happens, it'll still provide you with
    the notification you are looking for as well as a brief preview of
    what the message is about.

Any verizon cell phone which is capable of recieving text messages is
    also capable of recieving emails. The email address for your verizon
    cell phone is:

So for example if your cell phone number is your
    cell's email address would be

Now I just have to figure out what Bell's address is.

Found it:
    Send and receive email via text message. All Bell mobile phones have a unique email address: phone . For example, .

I'm up to the part where GMail has sent the confirmation text, it reads:
    [Gmail Forwarding Confirmation (#55555...]
    has requested to automatically forward mail to your email address

tried to put in the 5 numbers doesn't work, and can't get it to expand to see all the numbers.... I'll have to look into this more after work.
    all this work seems like it makes sense to just forward your email to hotmail, but keep a copy in your gmail account so that you are really using gmail and hotmail just notifies you with a text. Sprints email to phone is phonenumber@pm.sprint.com but it still uses internet data for every email and it just looks horrible in the format. Hotmail's set up is super easy and it just works.
    IMAP is a synchronization method similar to EAS. It keeps your client and server emails in sync.

POP3 downloads email with the option to delete from the server when it downloads, or delete when you delete it on the device.

I have my phone set to connect to my accounts as IMAP and my computer as pop3 with delete on download. The benefit to this is that the phone downloads anything on the server, but leaves it there as well. And when I read emails on my computer, it cleans out the server, and the phone gets cleaned up on the next sync. Emails are then archived or deleted on my laptop.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts

How do you get to them? I can't find it.
    hmmm, used to be an option in gmail to set up mobile alerts. Can't seem to find direct link. Try these methods:

Once signed into you gmail account go to calender, and then*setting in the top right corner*and on that page there is a tab for Mobile Setup. Here you can set a phone number to recieve texts when you get e-mails

1.Send a text/SMS FROM your phone to your GMail address.
    2.Look at your inox and copy the address your text came from.
    3.Go to Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP>Forwarding.
    4.Paste the copied address from step 2 to the new forwarding address.
    5.Confirm/verify with the code you recieve to your phone
    6.Save changes with forwarding enabled.