Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    i can't agree more same problem for me with contacts.

I did send a link to this thread to the guys via the "tip us" tab but no response yet.

I am hoping that what we see here in 2.0 is just a last vestage of the old Preish-Palm that will go away with future updates. As much as many of us (myself included) are nostalgic for the really old Palm days, the fact is that this last Palm bunch of folks that brought us the Pre, while doing so many things right, lost touch with some of the core functionalities, like PIM, that make a smartphone important for so many. Palm, in many ways abandonded their traditional user base to focus on grandmas and creepy women who apparantly don't need good calendar functions but do want to mutiltask music with good 3D gaming.

I'm sure much of the 2.0 code was in the works, just like the Pre2 was, before the HP purchase and/or was bcompleted by people who were there before the change and, with any luck, this something that will be taken care of on the new devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I did send a link to this thread to the guys via the "tip us" tab but no response yet.

I am hoping that what we see here in 2.0 is just a last vestage of the old Preish-Palm that will go away with future updates. As much as many of us (myself included) are nostalgic for the really old Palm days, the fact is that this last Palm bunch of folks that brought us the Pre, while doing so many things right, lost touch with some of the core functionalities, like PIM, that make a smartphone important for so many. Palm, in many ways abandonded their traditional user base to focus on grandmas and creepy women who apparantly don't need good calendar functions but do want to mutiltask music with good 3D gaming.

I'm sure much of the 2.0 code was in the works, just like the Pre2 was, before the HP purchase and/or was bcompleted by people who were there before the change and, with any luck, this something that will be taken care of on the new devices.
    Between the different behavior on different devices, and changing information on the Palm web site, and various interpretations of that information, I'm believing that this is a bug.

Here's a little background (from my perspective).

Palm changed the behavior of the 1.x WebOS devices. I think they did this in 1.4.5. That behavior changed the way I described - you pulled down 2 months ahead in Google, but if you scrolled forward, it pulled down another two months.

Currently, 1.4.5 operates that way. 2.0 doesn't. Sounds to me like there's a bug in 2.0.

We all know that 2.01 is "in the wild", and there have been sightings and accidental releases of 2.1.

I suspect it's a bug, and we'll see a fix soon.

If we don't, then I agree - it's a problem Palm/HP should be looking at.

In the meantime, for those that want it, there's a way to fix it. If Palm leaves it this way (which I doubt), there will undoubtedly be a homebrew fix. No, that doesn't involve going to a website or doing all kinds of cartwheels. Preware is very easy to use.

Again, probably a bug, much ado primarily from non-Pre 2 users. For anyone that's having this problem, and needs to fix it, please feel free to contact me via PM. I have some suggestions.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    ....... Palm has no desktop sync anymore and we depend on cloud data. But with 2.X we write data to the cloud and are not getting it back to our phones/tablets..., this would be a marketing desaster. Every review about new webOS 2.x devices will say "only 2 month sync", and they will not write "ah well you can patch it by activating dev-mode, install preware, use patch to modify webOS files... and hope it will work after a new update".

Better we bring issue to the public now, before it ruins any market entry of the new devices.
    Gizmo21: I have to agree with you. Yes, I likely still can be considered a Palm fan / Yes, my Pre+ is my daily-phone/PDA and I have no intentions of replacing it anytime soon.

BUT: Since designing WebOS, Palm has a horrible track-record with PIM tools. Sure, they gave us Apps, but, they are pretty rudimentary and have massive gaps in functionality (ie: Meeting invitations, for one example). I would go as far as suggest they gave PIM data a 'be as good as Apple' treatment and left it at that.

So: as much as I would like to hope Palm is busy working to fix PIM tools, Cloud sync of ALL PIM tools in such a way that it can be reverse synced (Cloud down to PC) -- AND, in a functional (ie: not ignoring > 3 months, not duplicating, etc...) way, etc.... --> history has shown us that they would much rather develop new Facebook features than update PIM tools.

Aside from the great work from Metaveiw/Frantid & the homebrew team working on Ubercalendar -- have there been any updates to the PIM tools since launch?????

In summary: Unless we make Palm aware that this really is a priority, they quite likely will continue to focus on the Twitter apps, Facebook, games, etc... vs. what we need.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    That's why it would be great if P|C would bring this topic into the news section. Perhaps more guys submit this thread to the "tip us" on the main page and at the same time to the Palm Feedback form... Just saying
    so this seems to bother anyone anymore now. everybody is cheering about new devices, but if they can get the things done, nobody cares. even on official palm forums no reactions on this subject:
    http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/cr...ssage.id=21415

palm tells people to use palm profile, but doesn't have desktopsync software - just ridiculious.
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    so this seems to bother anyone anymore now.
    Yes, it still bothers me! Waiting for a solution...

It's on the frontpage now! Thanks to Gizmo21!!!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    bothers me too. I am not so into the games and music as I am in the PIM, which I thought was the basis of Palm. I have been a Palm guy since the pilot. Kinda disappointed with them now.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Did anyone get any official word off palm or did they just leave you guys hanging?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Did anyone get any official word off palm or did they just leave you guys hanging?
    This whole thread started because of official word from Palm. Some people just refuse to accept it.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    This whole thread started because of official word from Palm. Some people just refuse to accept it.
    I accept it, I just don't like it.
    Palm knows about this issue and are looking at changing it . But how or what they change it to is anyones guess lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by twebst View Post
    I accept it, I just don't like it.
    I hear ya. Its just that some people here are trying to bill this as a "bug" when Palm has clearly stated that it is a "feature" which has been implemented in the name of performance. Maybe they'll change it in the future but for now, this is a calculated move due to performance, not an oversight on Palm's part. Well, it is an oversight but for other reasons.
    Last edited by taharka; 02/08/2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Palm knows about this issue and are looking at changing it . But how or what they change it to is anyones guess lol

Yes they know people have issue with this change they made and yes they are looking at changing to something better but what that is I don't know .

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It's interesting. I am a heavy calendar user, and use more than 10 different Google calendars, most of which I share with at least one other person. (Not always the same person.) One of the reasons I can't use megacalendar, or whatever that massive calendar patch is, is that my performance is so bad with it that the phone freezes in some situations. So I can see where you would achieve significant performance improvements by limiting syncing.

On the other hand, obviously I use all those calendars because I find them valuable. And I need well more than 3 months of data. Three of those calendards are explicitly for the purpose of scheduling stuff out a couple of years, and most of them contain at least a year of important information. I need to be able to look back about 15 months, and forward about 39 months. I need to be able to make new entries on the Pre as well as look up existing entries. So this is a mission critical application for me, and if moving the a new Pre would put me in the "3 month" pool, I simply can't afford to do that.

(I know that I use the calendar more than others, but only 2 months forward? Seriously? My dentist appointments are all made 6 months out, and many doctors appointments are 3 months out. I would think this limitation would be a problem for almost everyone.)

Does anyone know if buying a new device but keeping the same profile (which I assume I could do) would trigger the 3 month limits?

fwiw, I would prefer that the OS "limit syncing" by only attempting to sync when the connection is strong, and/or only once a day, at a time that can be scheduled. My calendar doesn't change so often that I need immediate synchronization, and I can generally remember stuff that I entered less than a day ago.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    sadly, it appears not to be syncing at all now.
    Quote Originally Posted by twebst View Post
    sadly, it appears not to be syncing at all now.
    So it is moving downside...I cannot access it through the browser nor through the calendar app...
    Wow, this was a long thread without - as far as I can see - any good resolvement.

For me and my new Pre 2, the main problem is more that the sync from Pre 2 to Google doesn't work at all. See this thread on Palm Support forums : strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Google... - Palm Support Community

Really bad.
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by TorsteinKongshem View Post
    Wow, this was a long thread without - as far as I can see - any good resolvement.

For me and my new Pre 2, the main problem is more that the sync from Pre 2 to Google doesn't work at all. See this thread on Palm Support forums : strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Google... - Palm Support Community

Really bad.
    Hi Torstein,
    I started both threads. It is a complex problem. When I started the thread at P|C I did not have seen all problems yet, only the 3 months window. After that, I discovered the other sync problems: sometimes it syncs, sometimes it don't sync. And then the annoying duplicates! I told about them on the palm forum. I also mentioned it later in this thread.
    And indeed ... not yet a solution. Sometimes I wish a downgrade to WebOS 1.4.5 would be possible for the Pre2!
    My solution is my calendar on my old centro. Two devices in my pocket!
    I'm waiting for Pocket Mirror ready for WebOS 2.x. Why this takes so long???
  19.    #159  
    "Palm has logged this in its software issue tracking system. We endeavor to continuously improve our software quality and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are grateful to the community and will evaluate options based on customer feedback and software best practices."

Re: strange behavior syncing Pre2 Calendar with Go... - Page 2 - Palm Support Community
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc View Post
    Hi Torstein,
    I started both threads. It is a complex problem. When I started the thread at P|C I did not have seen all problems yet, only the 3 months window. After that, I discovered the other sync problems: sometimes it syncs, sometimes it don't sync. And then the annoying duplicates! I told about them on the palm forum. I also mentioned it later in this thread.
    And indeed ... not yet a solution. Sometimes I wish a downgrade to WebOS 1.4.5 would be possible for the Pre2!
    My solution is my calendar on my old centro. Two devices in my pocket!
    I'm waiting for Pocket Mirror ready for WebOS 2.x. Why this takes so long???
    Palms support contacted me. They are aware of the many sync issues with Google. I have uploaded log files from my phone so I hope they fix this soon.
    I found a patch that allows you to sync your google calendar 1 year back. Check it out...

http://patches.webos-internals.org/?do=browse&webosver=2.0.1&category=Calendar
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast