Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    It's like snapshot back ups. You take a snapshot then record all changes since that snapshot. Unfortunately, Palm's first snapshot is a 3 month window because of the way google sends it's events.

edit: but then it grabs all the changes from that snapshot without limits.
    Last edited by frantid; 01/24/2011 at 03:21 PM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I looked at the KB article and noticed this:

What????
    Facebook events don't sync at set intervals (e.g. every four hours, every day at 1pm etc) with that we can't always control how quickly this data gets to your device, but within 24 hours the event should appear on your device.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Also after I am done parsing through everything in this thread and see where the communication barrier is I will attempt to clarify any information.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Facebook events don't sync at set intervals (e.g. every four hours, every day at 1pm etc) with that we can't always control how quickly this data gets to your device, but within 24 hours the event should appear on your device.
    Thanks for that, however I was only concerned about the gmail stuff.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Also after I am done parsing through everything in this thread and see where the communication barrier is I will attempt to clarify any information.
    HardBeatZ -- appreciate the help on this. Yes, this discussion has really gained recent attention.

In summary, the #1 concern we all have is that we shouldn't be limited to a short timeframe for data syncing -- lots of use our calendar > 1 year: 1 year back/forward seems to be pretty much the norm. Ideally, this would be a setting in WebOS (sure, the default can be 3 months) with some disclaimer telling us 'more time = slower performance", etc.... There are lots of good reasons for the 'why' peppered throughout the thread.

Related to this: many of us see Calendar entries on Google.com's online calendar that don't show on our Pre (ie: I see this with June 2010 data). I had to do a WebOS Partial erase a few months ago, so, that's probably why my older data never re-synced.

Although I have lots to say about PIM data and related sync concerns, that's a bit off-topic to this thread.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    I did as hparsons suggested, tapping the top date bar, going 3 months ahead 1 month at a time, and then tapping on a date. Events then showed up beyond the 3 month limit. But then I tried going back in time w/ the same method, but older events would not show up. So while there appears to be a way to get future events synced, I would still like to at least have the option to sync historical events.
    [I have a Pre+ running WebOS 1.4.5]
    To help avoid the confusion with the different terms (sync, account, profile) here is the situation:

Sitting in somebody's office, need to see if a date 6 months out is free for a meeting. Can I do that with either pre or pre2 on webos 2.0?

OK, the date is clear, so I want to add the two-day conference to my calendar right there and have it show up on my phone later on and on my google calendar when access it from my desktop later. Can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    To help avoid the confusion with the different terms (sync, account, profile) here is the situation:

Sitting in somebody's office, need to see if a date 6 months out is free for a meeting. Can I do that with either pre or pre2 on webos 2.0?

OK, the date is clear, so I want to add the two-day conference to my calendar right there and have it show up on my phone later on and on my google calendar when access it from my desktop later. Can do?
    Don't know if you can, but I can (WebOS 1.4.5, Palm Pre)

The quickest way (in my opinion)
    • Open the Calendar App
    • Click on the date bar at the top of the app
    • Click on the Month, Day, Year you want to look at (first circle in the attachment), selecting which you want of each.
    • Click on the Date button.

I did this for 18 months out, my appointments were there.
    I also successfully added another appointment, from my Pre.

Sorry, can't say for sure if this works with 2.x. I'm on 1.4.5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Don't know if you can, but I can (WebOS 1.4.5, Palm Pre)

Sorry, can't say for sure if this works with 2.x. I'm on 1.4.5

Well, that's one of the problems, the people that have reported issues are are in 2.0 so we need more people that have 2.0 or those that know how it workds to report what if anything is going on
    Well, that's one of the problems, the people that have reported issues are are in 2.0 so we need more people that have 2.0 or those that know how it workds to report what if anything is going on
    I agree. One of the problems though is that people have now taken this thread, and expanded it to other threads. When I reported my results, one person even sarcastically (I assume) stated that I "must have a magic palm then as HP/Palm themselves say that this is no longer possible."
    I'm hoping some testing will give us definitive results.

If there is no way to access appointments further than three months out (with any version), then I agree that this is an issue that Palm should address. If it's just a matter of informing users how to do it, that's a whole different issue. Unfortunately, in the current state of confusion, it's simply being used as a tool to bash Palm devices.

That said, do you have 2.x? Are you able to test this as I outlined?
    Before responding to the part in bold, I wanted to go back and ensure my memory was not incorrect. It wasn't. The first two posts in this thread were from different version users:
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc View Post
    When I sync my new Pre 2 with Google Calendar, the Pre calendar is only showing events from novembre 2010 till january 2011. In my Google Calendar there are data from 2001 till 2013 and more. I want them on my Pre. What is going wrong?
    (PRE 2 - P102UEU - webOS 2.0.1)
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    it's like this for the original pre as well
    That's what got me testing it on my device. We then received varying answers, most of which did not jibe with what I was seeing on my device (it happens if you delete the account and add it back, it happens if you wipe your device). The problem with rumors like this (and yes, the overall picture is rumor, some aspects may be correct) is that people "run with it". It's important to nail down exactly what is happening.

It's also noteworthy that the thread was started a month and half ago, and the OP posted that he found the solution to his problem (clearly indicating that the future events are now showing up, and using WebOS 2.0):

This is the solution I found:
    - I deleted the google account on my Pre2.
    - I did make a new google account with another name.
    - I made a new google account on my Pre2 for this new google account.
    - Did some test between google calendar and Pre2. All seems to work fine. Events in the coming 10 months. And events in the past. More then 3 months. Deleted this test-events. - I did sync my outlook 2007 calendar and contacts with the new google account (again with GSyncit).
    - Now there are all showing up on my Pre2 calendar.

First off, your calendar will only show you events up to 2 months ahead, so there is no way of knowing if the date is free.

Yes you can blindly add an event on the palm, selecting your google calendar, and it will sync back to google and back to your desktop. BUT your now in a situation where events entered on your phone past the 2 month cutoff palm has imposed, stay on your palm, but you can't see events that you enter on your desktop or through the google web interface past 2 months.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    First off, your calendar will only show you events up to 2 months ahead, so there is no way of knowing if the date is free.
    At least one user with a Pre 2 and WebOS 2 has reported that it is not working as you describe:
    - Did some test between google calendar and Pre2. All seems to work fine. Events in the coming 10 months. And events in the past. More then 3 months. Deleted this test-events. .
    Yes you can blindly add an event on the palm, selecting your google calendar, and it will sync back to google and back to your desktop. BUT your now in a situation where events entered on your phone past the 2 month cutoff palm has imposed, stay on your palm, but you can't see events that you enter on your desktop or through the google web interface past 2 months.
    Have you yet tried the moving ahead methods recommended?
    It's also noteworthy that the thread was started a month and half ago, and the OP posted that he found the solution to his problem (clearly indicating that the future events are now showing up, and using WebOS 2.0):
    Hmmm, I have something like 10 people who share one particular google calendar, so I have to be a little careful about creating new ones :-)

You asked before what I have tried.

I have several times done a full erase, and either just added one google calendar back, or before doing anything else, I have added my google account as an exchange account (following googles directions) none of this has worked for me. My phone appears to be behaving EXACTLY the way HardbeatZ described it should.

My understanding, after reading his quotes is that it doesn't matter if you are using WebOS1.X or WebOS2.X this is a limitation imposed by Palm. I will quote him from an earlier message

HardbeatZ: Quote
    "NOTE: If you had an account on before these limitations were put in place your device would not be held to the same limitation, however if you delete and re add the account then you would."

Now I don't know specifically what he is referring to by "account" I was assuming he meant profile, or the process by which this could happen, BUT it is real.
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 01/24/2011 at 06:05 PM.

So you don't get new events past 2 months? If you have already sync'd once I would expect any new events to come through. I did mine through the google web interface not the Pre.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Have you yet tried the moving ahead methods recommended?
    Sorry for the delay, and on a personal note, thanks for perservereing with me.

yep just tried that, when I move ahead I get nothing :-) No action. I added my birthday into July, it syncs all the way back to my laptop no problems. But say I add a date on my laptop for July, it syncs as far as the google web interface, but not to my phone.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Luckily for me I only have a google calendar. If I need to see further, my simple answer is just to open my google calendar directly and have access to everything, forward and backward.
    I'm kinda hoping HarbeatZ will chime in here and put me out of my misery. I always figured I was a reasonably savvy user of tech, made my one roms for previous treos, but this has got me beat....

I have a feeling if this affects more people than just me, it would be a problem for palm.

Quote Originally Posted by skutcka View Post
    Luckily for me I only have a google calendar. If I need to see further, my simple answer is just to open my google calendar directly and have access to everything, forward and backward.
    Thats what I currently do if I'm on a call, I have my google calendar bookmarked in the web browser, so i have a look there, lucky for me we have simultaneous voice and data.

Hmmm, I have something like 10 people who share one particular google calendar, so I have to be a little careful about creating new ones :-)

You asked before what I have tried.
    I do not want you to add to a calendar, simply to view it.
    Also, I don't think I've asked what you've tried, I've asked if you tried the particular thing mentioned.

Please, would you try that?

My understanding, after reading his quotes is that it doesn't matter if you are using WebOS1.X or WebOS2.X this is a limitation imposed by Palm. I will quote him from an earlier message

HardbeatZ: Quote
    "NOTE: If you had an account on before these limitations were put in place your device would not be held to the same limitation, however if you delete and re add the account then you would."

Now I don't know specifically what he is referring to by "account" I was assuming he meant profile, or the process by which this could happen, BUT it is real.
    Thus the confusion. He said "account", did he mean the Google account, or the Palm Profile? Either way, another users has been able to successfully see 10 months in advance, on his Pre2, with WebOS 2, with his new Palm Profile. This is why I don't think he meant what you think he meant.