Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 176
  1. #81  
    I am fairly certain this is a bug with the Pre2 current webOS version. I've been working with events that occur on 1.1.2030 on my 1.4.5 Pre and on the emulator. These events sync just fine into google. So after completing the work on 1.4.5, I went to test on a version that is not 1.4.5. The events from 1.1.2030 show up there - most definitely more than 2 months out.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect that we are hearing a techinical explanation, and applying it (incorrectly) to a real world situation.

    Concern is that the tech note is under the heading "calendar information missing" not, "can't view my enteries" or something like that and doesn't give the steps some have done in 1.4.5 to go to the third month, etc.
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/24/2011 at 12:21 PM.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Concern is that the tech note is under the heading "calendar information missing" not, "can't view my enteries" or something like that.
    I agree, that's a legitmate concern, and I think it should be worded differently. Along the same lines, if my theory of what this is doing is correct, this:
    Google accounts sync events one month back and two months forward
    should be changed to:
    Google accounts automatically sync events one month back and two months forward

    Actually, that bit of information has been on there for months. If it's not working the way I describe, and a user truly is limited forever to only seeing two months forward, I agree it should be changed.

    What I find sad though, is that instead of this being used as a tool to help the user(s) affected actually use the device they way they want, it's being used by non-Palm users to gloat about how awful WebOS is. That will be an exceptionally bad situation if it all turns out to be much adu about nothing (or even very little). I doubt the "see how bad it is" information would quit once this is determined to be a non-issue.
  4. #84  
    Well... I believe that is simple do solve: the HP/Palm just have change the sync to one (01) year before and after, and gonna finish... :roll:


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What I find sad though, is that instead of this being used as a tool to help the user(s) affected actually use the device they way they want, it's being used by non-Palm users to gloat about how awful WebOS is. That will be an exceptionally bad situation if it all turns out to be much adu about nothing (or even very little). I doubt the "see how bad it is" information would quit once this is determined to be a non-issue.
    Yup, that's to be expected, but Palm has dug themself a hole on this issue that they have not yet (but hopefully can) dig themselves out of. Palm was the leader in PIM, so far beyond what everybody else had it was not even a contest. With the Pre much of that was lost. Pre simply did not have the calendar and PIM stuff the business and highly mobile people want/need . Then add the no docs-2-go or other WP solution, no voice memos, no voice dialing and so on, all of which I had on my Treo and with no APIs or access to the right db's to for third party's to come up wth solutions. Even one of the best apps out there for the pre, Agenda, warned that they were using undocumented APIs that could go away at any time. And lets not even get into the marketing that made it clear this was not a businessperson's/powerusers phone.

    So, ANY indication that the calendar in 2.0 is limited is going to play into all of the pre-concieved notions and biases that people have. If this is just a misunderstanding, PC needs to get on it right away and put it on the front page. If it isn't just a minor fixable glitch people need to know as well so HP can be made aware of how important this issue is.
  6. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    My private hope is that HP will announce, on Feb 9, that they've bundled in a package like Pocketmirror as a default option with WebOS 2.1.x and newer. Either that, or, they've devised some way to wrap up Cloud syncing AND offline PIM tools (ie: Outlook) in a functional / useable package.

    I know, the P|C guys will probably tell me I'm waiting for Unicorns -- but, from the number of recent posts to this thread, I know I'm not alone in being ticked with Palm in how they mangled PIM tools from PalmOS --> WebOS.

    To head-off a specific comments at the pass: Yes, I know Palm doesn't own PalmOS anymore and that they really built a new OS from the ground up with new people, blah, blah, blah. The fact remains: PalmOS revolutionized the world of PIM and organization for a lot of people. A bunch of us bought into the 'WebOS is new, give us time to refine it' message --> reducing PIM functionality vs. improving it with 1.4.5/2.x is a really bad indication that perhaps Palm doesn't get it anymore.

    I'm still holding hope -- for Palm to announce greatness in Feb / or, at a bare minimum: for the Homebrew/Patch community to tweak 'away' this silly date limitation.
    I'd literally eat my hat if they provided that functionality, everyone is desperate to get you to move their data to the cloud and they don't want you to have an out.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'd literally eat my hat if they provided that functionality, everyone is desperate to get you to move their data to the cloud and they don't want you to have an out.
    Personally, I'd just like to see this little rumor laid to rest one way or another.

    We already have multiple users on here that are able to move beyond three months in the future.

    I'd like to see somone that can't do the following:

    Tap the top bar, move forward as far as the device will let you (likely April), selected a day. Tap the bar, and see if it will let you move forward more months.

    I suspect it will.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I'd just like to see this little rumor laid to rest one way or another.

    We already have multiple users on here that are able to move beyond three months in the future.

    I'd like to see somone that can't do the following:

    Tap the top bar, move forward as far as the device will let you (likely April), selected a day. Tap the bar, and see if it will let you move forward more months.

    I suspect it will.

    Huh? What's that got to do with my point? What's that to do with desktop sync?
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Huh? What's that got to do with my point? What's that to do with desktop sync?
    Was just trying bring the thread back around to the original topic:
    PRE2: Calendar shows only 3 months after syncing with Google Calendar

    There's a pretty far-reaching "cloud" thread already started.

    I think, even in this thread, it's appropriate to find out whether or not the problem really exists before discussions begin about what HP needs to do to get around it.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #90  
    Well has anyone asked in the official palm support forum or emailed palm technical support to confirm any of this?
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well has anyone asked in the official palm support forum or emailed palm technical support to confirm any of this?
    The quotes from Hardbeatz should work. He is in Palm support, and I think he moderates on the Palm support site.
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The quotes from Hardbeatz should work. He is in Palm support, and I think he moderates on the Palm support site.
    Well... as you can see above, there is some suggestion that he's mistaken in some way so someone asking very specific questions or him popping back to confirm would be great.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Also, remember that HardbeatZ works in support, and hangs out here on his own because he chooses to. He is just the "messenger" for information Palm provides to their support organization. Please be nice to him.

    There is a link on the Palm site where you can submit bugs/feature requests/etc and I'd suggest that everyone that is troubled by this limitation send a request to that link, and include details of the use case that makes this so important to how you use your phone. I know they read them, and if you explain your specific use case it helps them have it in mind when revisiting how new or existing features should work.
    Oh I've submitted info at that link. Hardbeatz is a seriously helpful forum user :-) no point in shooting the messenger, just appreciate the fact that he is here.

    This is NOT a limitation or consequence that it would have been easy to research prior to buying a new device. Especially when the old device worked so well. I had 3 separate google cals on my old device and never had any problems (or lag)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I'd just like to see this little rumor laid to rest one way or another.
    We already have multiple users on here that are able to move beyond three months in the future.
    I'd like to see somone that can't do the following:
    Tap the top bar, move forward as far as the device will let you (likely April), selected a day. Tap the bar, and see if it will let you move forward more months.
    I suspect it will.
    This is not a rumor, but I think HardBeatZ might be referring to your Palm account NOT your google account. Maybe there is some way it could be reset :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    NOTE: If you had an account on before these limitations were put in place your device would not be held to the same limitation, however if you delete and re add the account then you would.
    It only occurs for new users, or those users who have "reset" their account. Maybe I migrated to the Pre2 the wrong way, but as soon as I logged into my account on the Pre2 I got a message from Palm saying it will delete all the info on my old Pre, this is what happened.

    I'd be totally happy if someone could show me where the option is to sync more of my calendar than just 2 months, but as far as I can tell it just doesn't exist, either in the google side of things or the WebOS software.

    It's weird, because I don't think I've come across sync software ever that didn't give you a choice of what timeframe to sync?
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 01/24/2011 at 02:25 PM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  15. #95  
    @dbmgreen - do you have your gmail set to check as arrive? I find it helps.

    From my experience, this limitation is based upon the very first initial sync of a google account. I can possibly see one reason for the limit. Google sends repeating events as individual events, according to their api docs this is helpful But imagine how many events a daily repeating event generates that repeats "forever". So the initial sync's are limited. Second sync's are change syncs, they are not limited.

    If you add an event after your account is first sync'd in google on the browser on a forward date, does it not show if you force a sync on the Pre2?

    How about if you make a change on an existing event in the future on the browser will it sync then?

    Not very helpful behavior, if you have a history or an existing detailed calendar and are switching to the Pre2. I think they need to add a 3rd type of request for events, one that is based on dates so you could manually move the calendar around to force the history and preexisting events to sync.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I am fairly certain this is a bug with the Pre2 current webOS version. I've been working with events that occur on 1.1.2030 on my 1.4.5 Pre and on the emulator. These events sync just fine into google. So after completing the work on 1.4.5, I went to test on a version that is not 1.4.5. The events from 1.1.2030 show up there - most definitely more than 2 months out.
    I've got a google cal that has individual (not repeating) events, through 2013, lots and lots of events, I am a booking agent for a Jazz Musician here in Australia. You could imagine that most of my work is done at a desk on my computer, but when I get up from that desk, from the moment I started using a Treo270, I was able to take ALL those events with me.

    I'm fairly certain, though I haven't tested it, that palm wouldn't stop you adding an event more than two months in the future. But how do you tell if there is a conflict. The problem for me is that I often, probably daily need to consult my calendar on my phone, when I'm out on the road, or just taking lunch?

    As I have already described, I have tried a number of ways around this, none have worked.

    I must have wiped my phone 6 or 7 times to try different log in settings. Look at my signature, and you will see I a reasonably loyal palm user, considering I am in an unsupported country, I would say very loyal, but I find myself looking longingly at Android phones :-(
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  17. #97  
    Hmm, I just went to gmail and added an appointment in July. It quickly showed up on my phone. I wonder if this is only a restriction for reoccurring items?

    Or specific to webOS 2.x?
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hmm, I just went to gmail and added an appointment in July. It quickly showed up on my phone. I wonder if this is only a restriction for reoccurring items?

    Or specific to webOS 2.x?
    No, it's a change (or last time the google events were modified) sync, so it would not be limited.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

    Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #99  
    The only thing I can find on the official forum is from a regular poster who states that:

    As for the two-month time limit on future events that sync to the Pre, that is not a bug: this is deliberate. (I'm pretty sure it didn't apply to my Pixi, so I think this too must be new to webOS 2.0.) Needless to say, a calendar in which you can only see events two months into the future is of extremely limited use, and would have been a dealbreaker had I known about it before buying the Pre 2. I can only hope that Palm sees sense and changes this in the next update.
    I also found this help page which suggests it is tied to what type of account you have:

    Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Can't synchronize Calendar events)

    Notice the limits we are talking about are described under the web 2.0 section.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    This is not a rumor, but I think HardBeatZ might be referring to your Palm account NOT your google account. Maybe there is some way it could be reset :-)
    That could be part of the confusion, but on the Palm side, it's called a profile, not an account. Plus, I don't think we, as users, can delete them, then add them back. That seemed to be what he was saying would reproduce the error:
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    NOTE: If you had an account on before these limitations were put in place your device would not be held to the same limitation, however if you delete and re add the account then you would.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    It only occurs for new users, or those users who have "reset" their account. Maybe I migrated to the Pre2 the wrong way, but as soon as I logged into my account on the Pre2 I got a message from Palm saying it will delete all the info on my old Pre, this is what happened.
    I don't think deleting all information from your Pre has anything to do with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I'd be totally happy if someone could show me where the option is to sync more of my calendar than just 2 months, but as far as I can tell it just doesn't exist, either in the google side of things or the WebOS software.
    I've seen you say you've tried several things, but I haven't seen you specifically say you tried what I recommended.

    So, while we're waiting to hear back from HardBeatz, can you try this:
    Go to the top bar on the Calendar app.
    Scroll forward until the month views stop (should be April)
    Click on a day.
    Go to the top bar again, and see if it will let you scroll further.

Posting Permissions