Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Wow. I really hope that they change this. As someone who has a fixed yet rotating schedule it is really nice to be able to see when I am schedule to work for vacations and holidays on the go. I hope my current Pre lasts until they fix this issue.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I looked at the KB article and noticed this:

Calendar events associated with a Microsoft Exchange server sync as items arrive. Items for Facebook, Google, and other online accounts are synced every few hours up to once a day.If the calendar event is available in your online account and you are in an area with good wireless coverage, it will show up on your phone within a day.
    What????
    <<<thread merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I looked at the KB article and noticed this:

What????
    I bet that was written a looonnnnggg time ago. Palm is notorious for not keeping their web documentation up to date...
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I bet that was written a looonnnnggg time ago. Palm is notorious for not keeping their web documentation up to date...
    So if I get a web OS device, I'd get changes to my Calendar quicker than that?
    Well if this stays this way, it is unacceptable. We use Google Calendars at our small office and I have meetings and conventions and the employees put their vacations schedules on all a year in advance. Plus my wife and I put all the birthdays and other events like doctors appointments (which try to get one within three months these days if not an emergency!) play performance dates and rehersal schedules up to a year out on our seperate Google Calendar so I can see everything. I would not mind having to go into Google on the browser to look up very OLD events, but I want to be able to quicky see whats coming up for the next six months and to add to it from the phone application.
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/24/2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nkedge View Post
    Maybe I'm alone on this (or just plain lucky), but my Google Calendar seems to sync well into the future. It's true that on the ORIGINAL sync no events were visible past 2 months but since that sync, when I add items to my Google calendar in the future, they DO in fact show up on my Pre 2.

Background: the Pre 2 is my first webOS device, running 2.0.1 in the US on AT&T.
    I suspect that we are hearing a techinical explanation, and applying it (incorrectly) to a real world situation.

See the attached screenshot. This is of two Google Calendars both shown on my Pre (with WebOS 1.4.5).

When I scrolled forward to view the information, it stopped at 3 months, until I chose the third month to view. After that, I could scroll ahead three more months.

After reading the online description, and noting the performance on my Pre, here's what I think this all means:

The data from Google Calendars will automatically sync as described, but will pull the information further ahead if it's accessed.

I can't say for sure, since my device is running WebOS 1.4.5, which is the older database structure. Would be interested in confirmation.

I will also note, my Pre was wiped completely on Saturday night, so this is not a case of the old data being there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Does the calendar show the events if you go to that date in the calendar? I'm wondering if the poll is limited to just the time frame the calendar displays. Thus changing the date you are on in the calendar will poll for those new dates. Is this not the case? I don't have a new device to check this behavior out. Thanks.
    I'm almost positive that what you are describing is, indeed, the way the system works. It worked this way on mine. I would like to see someone that's having problems with future appointments try this and see if it pulls down the appointments.

I suspect it will.
    I *think* (but I'm not clear) if you ever have to do a wipe or your get a new phone it migrates you to the new settings. So you'll be ok as long as your current phone lasts...
    I wiped my phone Saturday night. I am using 1.4.5, instead of 2.0. Let's play this one out a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect that we are hearing a techinical explanation, and applying it (incorrectly) to a real world situation.

See the attached screenshot. This is of two Google Calendars both shown on my Pre (with WebOS 1.4.5).

When I scrolled forward to view the information, it stopped at 3 months, until I chose the third month to view. After that, I could scroll ahead three more months.

After reading the online description, and noting the performance on my Pre, here's what I think this all means:

The data from Google Calendars will automatically sync as described, but will pull the information further ahead if it's accessed.

I can't say for sure, since my device is running WebOS 1.4.5, which is the older database structure. Would be interested in confirmation.

I will also note, my Pre was wiped completely on Saturday night, so this is not a case of the old data being there.
    I've tried everything on my pre2 and with my google settings, but just cannot see more than 2 months ahead. I've wiped my phone a couple of times, tried to get google to work as an exchange account (no joy there) The only way I can access my cal events past this time is by going to the web and looking directly at the google cal, could someone at Palm explain how this speeds up my phone, cause I don't think it does.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I've tried everything on my pre2 and with my google settings, but just cannot see more than 2 months ahead. I've wiped my phone a couple of times, tried to get google to work as an exchange account (no joy there) The only way I can access my cal events past this time is by going to the web and looking directly at the google cal, could someone at Palm explain how this speeds up my phone, cause I don't think it does.
    Just to be 100% we're on the same page (especially since I'm using 1.4.5, not 2.x) here's an update:

I used Google Calendar to add an appointment for the same day we're talking about.

On my Pre, I scrolled forward in Month view. It stopped before I could get to that date (I think it stopped on April). I accessed April, then went back to the top bar, and scrolled forward to June.

The appointment was not there.

I repeated the process, but before scrolling forward, I chose "sync now". After scrolling foward, I again had to stop on an "interim month", but the data on the Pre updated , and the appointment was there (it's a different color, because I added it to my "Herb's Activities" calendar, rather than my work calendar - no need it worrying my co-workers about falling skies).

This was a single event (the others shown are repeating events).

I really think this is a situation where you have to update the local db as you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So if I get a web OS device, I'd get changes to my Calendar quicker than that?
    My Gmail calendar generally updates within a few minutes. It supports push notifications for email, which I don't think it always had.

EAS updates happen instantly. And my main calendar is in Outlook, which I manually sync with Pocket Mirror. There is a 3rd party app/service (cant remember if it's Chapura or CompanionLink) that does real-time sync in a manner similar to the way ActiveSync did - but I think it has a monthly cost.

Also, there are now public exchange servers you can subscribe to. You might want to check one of those out.
    I'm not sure if your adding to a google cal or ? But I had a pre and all my google cals synced no probs, I purchased a Pre2, which necessitated Palm deleting my account from the Pre, I am now stuck with the following, as described by the Palm employee HardBeatZ.

How on earth someone in Palm ever though this was reasonable is beyond me. It should at least be a users choice? Maybe it's possible to patch this, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Calendar sync limits are noted below:

Google accounts sync events one month back and two months forward.
    Yahoo! accounts sync events one month back and three months forward.
    Exchange accounts sync events two weeks back and unlimited forward.

NOTE: If you had an account on before these limitations were put in place your device would not be held to the same limitation, however if you delete and re add the account then you would.

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    It's a limitation that we have set to improve performance.

And one of the places it's documented is here
    Palm Support : Some of my calendar information is missing

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    .................................................................................
    Also, there are now public exchange servers you can subscribe to. You might want to check one of those out..............
    I'm on a mac, and used to have to use one of these to sync my treopro, but can't find a reasonable service now? I don't really think I should have to go to all the trouble, to do something that should just work "out of the box" like it has for the last 12 months.

I'm not sure if your adding to a google cal or ? But I had a pre and all my google cals synced no probs, I purchased a Pre2, which necessitated Palm deleting my account from the Pre, I am now stuck with the following, as described by the Palm employee HardBeatZ.

How on earth someone in Palm ever though this was reasonable is beyond me. It should at least be a users choice? Maybe it's possible to patch this, but I don't think so.
    My response was to the question of how fast updates arrive on my phone, not on how far into the future it goes.

I agree that limiting how far it goes into the past or future is somewhat silly, although I can always see it on my browser... And for me that is why it makes more sense to just keep the important stuff in Outlook. I totally agree with your point. If Palm thinks that's a good limit, they should make it a choice for those that wouldn't mind a performance hit to have the info on their phone that is important to the user. Especially with Just Type being able to search the default apps. The good news is that there are always updates for webOS in development, so you need to let Palm know what you need them to consider for future requirements.

And I can't imagine what the performance hit would be, unless it's a memory issue on the Pre/Pixi Minus devices.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/24/2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    HardBeatZ -- thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if this was a bug vs. by-design. We may not like it, but, at least we can understand why.
    ......................>
    -Bypass the limitations noted above and use a sync solution (ie: Chapura or Companionlink) Note This option isn't available for WebOS 2.x yet, FYI.
    "Bypass the limitations noted above " these are NOT options for a mac user :-(

Also, remember that HardbeatZ works in support, and hangs out here on his own because he chooses to. He is just the "messenger" for information Palm provides to their support organization. Please be nice to him.

There is a link on the Palm site where you can submit bugs/feature requests/etc and I'd suggest that everyone that is troubled by this limitation send a request to that link, and include details of the use case that makes this so important to how you use your phone. I know they read them, and if you explain your specific use case it helps them have it in mind when revisiting how new or existing features should work.
    I'm on a mac, and used to have to use one of these to sync my treopro, but can't find a reasonable service now? I don't really think I should have to go to all the trouble, to do something that should just work "out of the box" like it has for the last 12 months.
    I'm with you on this. My Centro came with outlook sync software. I wasn't happy that I had to buy it for my Pre+. But, it was still worth it. At the time it wasn't even possible on Android, and I would still be using my Centro if it wasn't possible on the Pre. I'm still hoping that the enterprise focus of HP will cause them to realize how important this stuff is and spend the money to add/improve these things within the next few updates to webOS...
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    My private hope is that HP will announce, on Feb 9, that they've bundled in a package like Pocketmirror as a default option with WebOS 2.1.x and newer. Either that, or, they've devised some way to wrap up Cloud syncing AND offline PIM tools (ie: Outlook) in a functional / useable package.

I know, the P|C guys will probably tell me I'm waiting for Unicorns -- but, from the number of recent posts to this thread, I know I'm not alone in being ticked with Palm in how they mangled PIM tools from PalmOS --> WebOS.

To head-off a specific comments at the pass: Yes, I know Palm doesn't own PalmOS anymore and that they really built a new OS from the ground up with new people, blah, blah, blah. The fact remains: PalmOS revolutionized the world of PIM and organization for a lot of people. A bunch of us bought into the 'WebOS is new, give us time to refine it' message --> reducing PIM functionality vs. improving it with 1.4.5/2.x is a really bad indication that perhaps Palm doesn't get it anymore.

I'm still holding hope -- for Palm to announce greatness in Feb / or, at a bare minimum: for the Homebrew/Patch community to tweak 'away' this silly date limitation.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    There is definitely a breakdown in communication somewhere on this.

The listed article says this about relevant products: "Relevant Products: Pre p100eww, Pixi Pixi, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus, Pre Pre"

However, I have a Pre, and the interpretation of that article ( Palm Support : Some of my calendar information is missing ) is not what I'm seeing on my Pre.

I deleted one of my Google accounts (I use the email on that account, but not the calendar)
    I added it back.
    I entered (from my desktop) a test apointment for Jun 7
    I added that Google account back.
    I scrolled forward to try to get to the date (June 7), but the calendar stopped in April. I accessed April 30, and could then go to June (but only as far as July, unless I accessed July, then I could go further)
    After I access April 30, I could then access June.
    The appointment was there (again note, this was after deleting the account, and adding it back, and was also after a full system wipe last Saturday)
    I then added another appointment 2 days later.
    Following the same procedure (having to stop in April), I was able to see the appointment I added for June 9.