1.    #1  
    I kinda think there is - at least as far as having a 'user friendly' desktop-based syncing hub ala. iTunes or the new one for WP7.

A simple desktop app that:
    • Lets you perform easy backups - either manually or automatically
    • Easy syncing of media - audio, video, etc
    • Easy management of apps - letting you install or uninstall them from the desktop
    • Faster syncing of all your personal information - notes, contacts, calendar, etc
    • App Catalogue access - Ala the App Store?

Do any of you guys see the need for such a thing..?
    This is the sorta stuff that might help new users - make it feel a bit more easy to use a friendly. And it could easily be optional.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    yes, they should bundle pocket mirror like they did on the centro
    After initialy getting the pre it seemed a big deal not having the ability to synch to the desktop. After using it for 12 months the only one i still miss is the ability to backup easily to the desktop especially sms data.
    Frankly, I don't miss desktop sync at all. It's nice not to have to rely on a particular PC do sync stuff. Better backup via the Palm Profile, such as being able to see/modify more details would be useful, however.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    For me, there is need for local Hotsync.

That's simple, if there was native Hotsync, I would already had bought Pre.

Then, I'd be able to evaluate if the cloud DETAILS are ok for my needs.
    (I have no doubts that the Cloud concept is fantastic)

Instead, Palm Desktop _is_ usable via Companionlink, _but_ the Sync operation is "two step" because of WebOs limitations, so I keep on Hotsyncing my Palm TX and Palm Desktop 4.2 and wait...
    Don't miss it at all. I had pretty much stopped using desktop sync on my Treo, so moving to the cloud on a device made for the cloud was a breeze.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    A hearty 'yes' from me. Although I have nothing against the cloud and I'm a huge fan of WebOS+Patches -- there are things that are just quicker/easier to do on a desktop (ie: try shifting 150 tasks from Day X to Day Y --> I can do this with Outlook in < 5 seconds). Keyboard entry & copy & paste is also that much easier on a desktop vs. mobile screen. Of course: when I'm on the road, mobile screen is still very much appreciated.

Ease-aside: the cloud is currently pretty crappy/scattered for Tasks & Memos. WebOS 'native' Tasks & Notes apps are a Joke (interesting side: note: iOS doesn't even ship with a native Tasks app!). So, current-state: I personally see the existing 3rd-party sync apps as critical for anyone using a Palm device for PIM data (ie: count any who were/are T|X / Palm Desktop users in that crowd)..

I'm currently running on two sync conduits:
    1. WebOS <--> Outlook via Chapura for Calendar, Contacts, Tasks & Memos
    2. WebOS <--> GMail <--> Outlook (via Google Sync) for Calendar (contacts currently handled manually)

There are lots of great benefits to cloud-sync operations. I'm open to moving everything there at some point in the future when the cloud is a) secure and b) handles seamless integration with my thick-client PIM app (ie: Outlook). Until that time, a good sync app will keep things workable.

Cantaffordit: I completely agree with you with one adjustment -- it seems silly to me that we currently have the choice of WiFi only (Chapura doesn't work on segregated WiFi networks) or USB-only (Companionlink). Ideally, a bundled-in solution could do either/or.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    I agree with cmahy. I love cloud syncing, but some things I don't trust to the cloud, and for others, you need a desktop/keyboard. My best example is Passwords Plus - WebOS does not have a password program that:
    -has a desktop interface to easily enter info
    -has templates (which can be customized)
    -allows you to avoid putting stuff on the cloud
    -encrypted data files everywhere, which you can easily back-up or copy (and not have to worry about the company storing the data on the cloud losing it).

My large corporations will NOT let you sync with the cloud, but will let you use company approved hardware (which used to include Palm OS devices in the day).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Oh, and here is why they need a desktop app - MUSIC!!!!

The existing third party solutions are weak (Missing Sync breaks weekly, Doubletwist messes up path names and no longer works, etc.). Drag and drop music? Sure, it works. I could also get rid of WebOS' great Synergy feature, but, hmm, sometimes it is nice to have something simple and elegant?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    My best example is Passwords Plus - WebOS does not have a password program that:
    -has a desktop interface to easily enter info
    -has templates (which can be customized)
    -allows you to avoid putting stuff on the cloud
    -encrypted data files everywhere, which you can easily back-up or copy (and not have to worry about the company storing the data on the cloud losing it).
    I think JVault has all of those options.
    Ok, I just watched the video, muted. JVault does not appear to have a desktop interface? i love the fact that I can enter data in Passwords Plus Desktop (on my Mac, no less). Typing in long URL's, password's, notes, etc. is not something you want to do on a tiny keyboard...
    KA1
    Ok, I just watched the video, muted. JVault does not appear to have a desktop interface? i love the fact that I can enter data in Passwords Plus Desktop (on my Mac, no less). Typing in long URL's, password's, notes, etc. is not something you want to do on a tiny keyboard...
    jVault has a separate program you can purchase for your desktop. It's $8: http://www.cohosoft.com/product_deta...jvault_desktop

I wish their was better wireless syncing/backup methods for the Pre (or iOS for that matter).
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 12/14/2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added jVault Desktop link
    As mentioned above, it does indeed. It's pretty basic, but it gets the job done. I've attached a sreen shot, but didn't include an actual shot of the information - it displays everything and I'm too lazy to blot out information.

The desktop interface also has a template capability, but I've never used it, so I'm not sure how good it it. The data is encrypted on the device, and on the PC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only thing missing is an automated self-destruct if someone tried to brute force the DB!
    YES. i don't "sync" anything but i move files daily so to me there is 100% a need for a unified desktop media "management" application for apps, music, playlist managing, movie downloads, audiobooks, podcasts downloads, audiobook purchases, profile managing, and similar functions.

i've got about 250 Gigs of music, 2 terabytes of video (unlikely to go on a phone though) and i download and transfer about 3 podcasts every day, transfer playlists and move about audio books about every other week. so i use media management software everyday. There are several other reasons why i don't use my Pre to listen to music but the first thing that drove me away was that it was tedious to do much of the file moving.