Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    They said lack of encryption. They just approved android 2.2. they support blackberry, windows mobile, ipad, new iphone, not old iphone.

any ideas besides awful owa web brower view?

My EAS settings was pointed at the https mail server so isn't that owa?

it's a fortune 200 company.
    Last edited by terpsfan1978; 10/14/2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: iphone not ipod
    lack of encryption? they need to learn... My company requires encryption and they have no problem with me connecting with my Palm Pre Plus
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    you are SOL
  4.    #4  
    How bout forwarding corporate mail or calendar to gmail or something which I can then open on my Pre Plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    lack of encryption? they need to learn... My company requires encryption and they have no problem with me connecting with my Palm Pre Plus
    I suspect he's talking about storage encryption. If your company requires storage encryption, and they allow the Pre, they're making a mistake. Don't mention it to them.

Sorry terpsfan1978, but there is no current storage encryption for the Pre. It should be able to be done, but I suspect there's just not enough demand for that yet.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect he's talking about storage encryption. If your company requires storage encryption, and they allow the Pre, they're making a mistake. Don't mention it to them.

Sorry terpsfan1978, but there is no current storage encryption for the Pre. It should be able to be done, but I suspect there's just not enough demand for that yet.
    Do you think web 2.0 will have this storage encryption feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by terpsfan1978 View Post
    How bout forwarding corporate mail or calendar to gmail or something which I can then open on my Pre Plus?
    Yes, you can forward mail to another account, you can sync Google calendar with Exchange, and you could even use one of the sync programs (I like Companion Link) to sync contacts to your Pre (Companion Link syncs my system to Google, which then syncs to my Pre).

However, these are all workarounds that might not be acceptable to your company. They probably don't allow unencyrpted storage because they don't want the data saved to your device. You may be able to get this to work, and then find you're violating a company policy.
    Might be time for someone to start developing a new email app. Or is that even possible with the current webOS?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Might be time for someone to start developing a new email app. Or is that even possible with the current webOS?
    Why can't Web OS do that touchdown Droid Application?
    They said lack of encryption. They just approved android 2.2. they support blackberry, windows mobile, ipad, new iphone, not old iphone.
    Same here, for reason of HIPAA compliance. Something about insecure data storage. I work out of a hospital.

In retrospect, it's okay with me since Pre is my personal device. To be linked to work also means they will enforce the 15 second screen lockdown. That has been driving me batty.
    Do you think web 2.0 will have this storage encryption feature?
    I haven't heard anything about it, but that doesn't mean no. I wouldn't count on it though.

Not knowing for sure what you're wanting to sync, it's hard to make recommendations. Were it me, I'd approach the IT department, and ask if you can sync a select group of contacts that you need outside the office, sync your personal calendar, and just worry about email at the office. Then I'd either manually import the contacts into Google, then sync the Pre with that, or use an add on program to sync them. For the Calendar, I'd sync to Google, and then sync the Pre to that.

However, again, I'll warn you, run this by your IT department. Companies have begun taking PII (Personally Identifiable Information) issues very seriously, and finding a workaround to bypass policies could be asking for trouble.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm surprised they allowed Android 2.2. I don't think it has device encryption either (don't have time to research at the moment).

I agree that webOS needs this to be successful in the enterprise and I suggest you submit it as a feature request if it's important to you. The caveat is that with 2.0, there will be more options for 3rd party solutions (Good) that are a stopgap. In fact, our company is moving towards using Good for this exact reason.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I do think webOS 2.0 is gearing more towards the enterprise. This is evident by the native VPN support. I'm sure HP is pushing it in this direction as well.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I haven't heard anything about it, but that doesn't mean no. I wouldn't count on it though.

Not knowing for sure what you're wanting to sync, it's hard to make recommendations. Were it me, I'd approach the IT department, and ask if you can sync a select group of contacts that you need outside the office, sync your personal calendar, and just worry about email at the office. Then I'd either manually import the contacts into Google, then sync the Pre with that, or use an add on program to sync them. For the Calendar, I'd sync to Google, and then sync the Pre to that.

However, again, I'll warn you, run this by your IT department. Companies have begun taking PII (Personally Identifiable Information) issues very seriously, and finding a workaround to bypass policies could be asking for trouble.
    I agree. I work in infosec and if you were caught forwarding all your emails to a 3rd party, that could be grounds for termination. Of course the risk of that all depends on the nature of your job and the data you deal with.

Ah!
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I'm surprised they allowed Android 2.2. I don't think it has device encryption either (don't have time to research at the moment).

I agree that webOS needs this to be successful in the enterprise and I suggest you submit it as a feature request if it's important to you. The caveat is that with 2.0, there will be more options for 3rd party solutions (Good) that are a stopgap. In fact, our company is moving towards using Good for this exact reason.
    I know....does the new android 2.2 have storage encryption which seems to be the x factor that hparsons says?
    Why can't Web OS do that touchdown Droid Application?
    It's more of a question of if they have APIs open to them to interface with the mail system through webOS. If not it might be possible for a homebrewer to hack one up but if your IT department doesn't like having your emails "unsecured," I'm pretty sure they'd frown on having homebrew items installed on your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Even if it's possible, it would not address this issue. The issue here is storage. Because of various personal information laws (HIPAA being one of the big ones), companies are very leery of personal information being stored on unencyrpted storage media.
    Even if it's possible, it would not address this issue. The issue here is storage. Because of varios personal information laws (HIPAA being one of the big ones), companies are very leery of personal information being stored on unencyrpted storage media.
    why can't the data be encrypted and then stored?
  20.    #20  
    Even if it's possible, it would not address this issue. The issue here is storage. Because of varios personal information laws (HIPAA being one of the big ones), companies are very leery of personal information being stored on unencyrpted storage media.
    hparsons, does the android 2.2 have storage encryption because they are approving that device next week.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast