Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Even if it's possible, it would not address this issue. The issue here is storage. Because of varios personal information laws (HIPAA being one of the big ones), companies are very leery of personal information being stored on unencyrpted storage media.
    3rd party apps are able to encrypt their databases. Or are you saying that it needs some kind of hardware encryption? I'm pretty sure most of those devices he listed as approved don't have hardware encryption on their storage media. Actually I don't know that any of them have hardware encryption.
    that TouchDown android app is our only hope! Wish it could be ported to webos
    I would say it would be equally for Palm or a 3rd party app to encrypt the local data, if there is enough demand. I agree that with HP's emphasis on corporate products, it may become a priority in the future.
  4.    #24  
    Does the Palm Pre Plus webos 1.4 allow (SSL) with EAS?
  5.    #25  
    Even if it's possible, it would not address this issue. The issue here is storage. Because of various personal information laws (HIPAA being one of the big ones), companies are very leery of personal information being stored on unencyrpted storage media.
    Hparsons was correct on this one. Spoke to Head security person at my corporation, it's lack of storage encryption feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by terpsfan1978 View Post
    hparsons, does the android 2.2 have storage encryption because they are approving that device next week.
    No, it does not. Android 2.2 only added enforceable password policies and remote wipe. It does not have storage encryption. This was enough for the majority of businesses, but for large corporations serious about security or government entities, no version of Android is acceptable as an ActiveSync client. There are, however, 3rd-party apps for Android that are. Maybe that is what they are approving.
  7.    #27  
    Guys...I don't want to forward my corp email to my gmail account cause I don't want to risk getting canned. It's a fortune 200 company.

Is there maybe a way I can get an alert to my gmail account that a new work email has arrived within exchange. So I can then check my email via the OWS browser in my phone.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    ^^ You can do that via SMS within Outlook/Exchange, if enabled by your IT folks. Call them.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Yes.
    hparsons, does the android 2.2 have storage encryption because they are approving that device next week.
    Sorry, I don't know. Don't have an Android device.
    Yes. As a matter of fact, that's the default.
    Hopefully with 2.0 and HP's thoughts on enterprise they will do the encryption needed
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Guys...I don't want to forward my corp email to my gmail account cause I don't want to risk getting canned. It's a fortune 200 company.

Is there maybe a way I can get an alert to my gmail account that a new work email has arrived within exchange. So I can then check my email via the OWS browser in my phone.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Yes, this can be done, and really should not be a security concern for your IT folks, I'll 'splain.

If you get a message that says "You have new corporate email" (or some similar notice), it reveals no PII, no information about the send or recipient, and no information about the contents. It only alerts you to use your web browser (which you've said is allowed) to check your email.

Here's how you do it (for US carriers).

You create a rule within the system that sends an email when you receive a new email. The email would be sent to one of the following (substitute phonenumber with your phone number - only numbers, no dashes or parenteses).

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Sorry, I couldn't find ATT in my list. Anyone?
    thanks. How do you...creat a rule?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    No, it does not. Android 2.2 only added enforceable password policies and remote wipe. It does not have storage encryption. This was enough for the majority of businesses, but for large corporations serious about security or government entities, no version of Android is acceptable as an ActiveSync client. There are, however, 3rd-party apps for Android that are. Maybe that is what they are approving.
    So if they are allowing Android 2.2 based on the (invalid) assumption that it has storage encryption, then they should allow the Palm Pre as well.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    It does, but this is transmission encryption, not storage encryption.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Yes, this can be done, and really should not be a security concern for your IT folks, I'll 'splain.

If you get a message that says "You have new corporate email" (or some similar notice), it reveals no PII, no information about the send or recipient, and no information about the contents. It only alerts you to use your web browser (which you've said is allowed) to check your email.

Here's how you do it (for US carriers).

You create a rule within the system that sends an email when you receive a new email. The email would be sent to one of the following (substitute phonenumber with your phone number - only numbers, no dashes or parenteses).

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Sorry, I couldn't find ATT in my list. Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    thanks. How do you...creat a rule?
    You create the rule using Outlook on your computer. There is a rules creation wizard, but the menu location differs depending on which version of Outlook you are using.

Just go into Outlook and search its help content for 'creating rules'. Make sure you are creating a server side rule so that it will work even when your PC running Outlook is turned off. (there is a checkbox to make it run server side but I believe most types of rules run server side by default)

Then create a rule that effectively says, "When an email arrives, send an email with the text 'a new corporate email has arrived' to <insert phone's text message address as specified in the quote above by hparsons>. Note that the rule is NOT to forward the original message (thereby violating your corporate policy), but SENDING a text message with completely different text.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    So if they are allowing Android 2.2 based on the (invalid) assumption that it has storage encryption, then they should allow the Palm Pre as well.
    I agree. From what I've read, the Pre provides the same level of EAS security as Android 2.2 (force PIN lock, password policies, remote wipe). No difference. Neither of them force device encryption.

OP, I think a friendly email to your IT admins is appropriate. If they allow native EAS connections from Android 2.2, they should allow webOS as well.

I suspect the case here is that a C-level exec helped push the approval of Android. This was almost the case where I work, hence why we pushed for the Good client.

ref:
    Palm Support : Support for Exchange ActiveSync policies and remote wipe
    Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12