1.    #1  
    I have lamented on these forums the lack of robust "core four" PIM apps (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, & Memos) in WebOS. I think the Palm faithful expect to have those apps be really good when they buy a Palm device, based on their past history with PalmOS.

Palm claimed to be emphasizing "the Cloud" but there was no Cloud service for Tasks and Memos.

SO, to make a long story short, there is fINALLY a really good Cloud solution for Tasks and Memos. Tiger Country Software (tigercountrysoftware.com) has 2 apps that meet this need.

"Done!" is their app for Tasks. Its a robust app that is quick and provides a lot of functionality. It syncs with an online service called ToodleDo (Toodledo : A to-do list to organize your tasks). Done! costs about 3 bucks and ToodleDo is free unless you want some of the more advanced features. The free version of ToodleDo will probably do what most users need but the "Pro" version only costs $15 a year so its worth it just to support the service IMHO.

"Noted!" is Tiger Country's app for Memos. It is ver simple and straightforward and most importantly its FAST. It searches through my huge list of memos (about 1500) in just a couple seconds and opening, editing, & closing notes is all done very quickly as well. Noted! syncs with an online service called SimpleNote (simple-note.appspot.com). SimpleNote is free but includes a small advertisement space above your list of notes. If you hate seeing the ads (like me) and you want a couple extra goodies like being able to create notes via email, RSS feeds, etc. then you can buy "Premium" service for 12 bucks a year. SimpleNote is way, way, way faster than using GoogleDocs.

So now I have 4 solid apps on the PalmPre side... Calendar (w/ UberCalendar patch), Contacts, Done! and Noted!

And I have 4 services on the Cloud side... Google Calendar, Google Contacts, ToodleDo, and SimpleNote.

It sounds funny but after having my PalmPrePlus for over 8 months... now that I have the right apps, a few key patches, and have it overclocked to 800Mhz I'm finally starting to REALLY LOVE IT!

I've been showing it around to my friends with Android phones and they get jealous!

Eric
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/01/2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarified title
    <title clarified to avoid confusion>
  3.    #3  
    I think most people who are serious about PIM functions understand that "Core Four" means Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, & Memos but I understand. A casual browser may have thought it referred to a type of processor or something. I probably should have titled the post "Finally... the Core Four PIM Apps!"

[Mod Note: Title changed to the above]

ANYWAY, in addition to how Done! and Noted! finally gives Palm a robust Cloud solution for tasks and memos I also discovered a really cool way to get my 1,500 plus memos out of my Palm Desktop 4 software and into Noted!

There is a desktop notes application for Win7 called ResophNotes (www.resoph.com). It allows you to manage your online (Cloud) Simplenote notes locally on your desktop computer.

The cool thing is that Resophnotes IMPORTS CSV FILES! So, I simply when to Palm Desktop... Memos... and in each category I exported a CSV file. Then in Resophnotes I imported each CSV file. I used the "Outlook" settings and each CSV file imported perfectly.

Once I had imported all my Palm Desktop Memos then inside Resophnotes I clicked on "Sync with Simplenotes" and all my memos got uploaded to the Cloud.

Then, on my Pre, inside Noted!, I clicked on synchronize and now I have all my only PalmDesktop memos imported everywhere... they are on my Pre... and are in the Cloud at Simplenote. Everything synchronizes with each other, its great and works quickly and easily.

Just thought I would through that out there in case anyone had LOTS of old PalmDesktop notes like I did!

Eric
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/01/2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Mod note added
    I will second Done! as a great application

The reason i first bought a palm (my first being a zire 72) was for the Tasks features it offered. I was especially swayed by agenda view.

to that end, the task app on the pre has been a severe disappointment, without innovation, and to be honest, is a step back given the lack of agenda view.

Done! is a life saver, it has more advanced features available, but they are well thought out, and work seamlessly with toodledo's both free and pay features.

I really hope that palm does not forget that PIM is a key element of there core business, and that it hasn't gone away, peoples lives aren't any less hectic and the need for good organization software to be integrated into the device is still there. it may not be the sole reason people buy these devices, but it is still an important factor.

anyway Done! is great. I wish there was an app that gave an agenda view easily with my Done! things as well.
    There are four lights.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    anyway Done! is great. I wish there was an app that gave an agenda view easily with my Done! things as well.
    You are probably familiar with it but there is an app called "Agenda" that aggregates everything from your various calendars into one list. Maybe you could petition the developer to include ToodleDo tasks into the same list.

I believe the developer of Done! is affiliated with the Agenda app somehow (tigercountrysoftware.com/agenda/) so maybe they would be sympathetic to that idea?

Good luck!
    Eric
    It would be a dream come true with both Done! & Noted can implement USCL quick task & quick note entry.

And Universal Searching works with all Done!'s tasks, Noted's notes and any calendar events......
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    There is a desktop notes application for Win7 called ResophNotes (www.resoph.com). It allows you to manage your online (Cloud) Simplenote notes locally on your desktop computer.

The cool thing is that Resophnotes IMPORTS CSV FILES! So, I simply when to Palm Desktop... Memos... and in each category I exported a CSV file. Then in Resophnotes I imported each CSV file. I used the "Outlook" settings and each CSV file imported perfectly.

Just thought I would through that out there in case anyone had LOTS of old PalmDesktop notes like I did!

Eric
    Hi Eric
    Thanks a lot. A few days ago installed Noted.

Your hint was great!
    That was just the missing info to get all my memos onto my Palm Pre+.

Thanks a lot.

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    You are probably familiar with it but there is an app called "Agenda" that aggregates everything from your various calendars into one list. Maybe you could petition the developer to include ToodleDo tasks into the same list.

I believe the developer of Done! is affiliated with the Agenda app somehow (tigercountrysoftware.com/agenda/) so maybe they would be sympathetic to that idea?

Good luck!
    Eric
    ToodleDo has a couple of options for posting to your Google calendar. I use the Live iCal Link, which will sync to your calendar without you having to do anything, and will show your tasks as appointments.

They have other options available here, as well.

Hope that helps!
    Great post, and thank you for the suggestions. If you do not mind, I would slightly disagree about Noted!, just because I really, really need categories for notes. The app I am using is Notes from Inglorious Apps, which has those, but/and it synchronizes with Google Docs. Palm screwed up magnificently with the 4 PIM components.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I think I have heard ToodleDo has some type of Outlook sync, but, how about 'Done!'?

As a longtime Palm user -- I completely understand. PalmOS re-invented how I organize and just because Palm hasn't kept true to the Core four, doesn't mean I'll sit still.

The big problem we have now is fragmentation. For example:
    -I use Palm's Calendar (only usable thanks to Metaview & Ubercalendar) and Contact apps
    -I use Chapura's Tasks & Memos apps (where you use other 3rd party tools) --> HPALM needs to bring decent PIM apps for us vs. us having to shell out $$ for apps or a service.
    -I sync my office data via Chapura (Core 4)
    -I sync my home data via Google Calendar sync & manually handle contacts (no good Contact sync that I've found yet).

I have no issues with the Cloud (it's quite convenient), but, we still need an easy way to manage the cloud with Outlook (or similar) when we're at our desks.

So far: what all of us have -- *at best* is a bunch of strung-together workarounds.

My wife is looking to replace her aging Palm T3, but, because of all this, I can't sell her on WebOS --> she's used to a one-click hotsync.

In a nutshell: Palm dropped the ball (and continues to leave it on the floor) for PIM apps. The only saving grace for now, as I understand it, is that WebOS dropped the ball less-bad than the other guys.

</rant>
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Maybe we need to buy some old PalmOS devices off ebay and send them to Palm/HP to remind them about the old PIM apps. I was really hoping WebOS 2.0 would bring some nice updates to the new PIM apps. It is disappointing there has been no talk about it.
    The problem - and the thing that has me scratching my head - is that one of the keys to business success is getting you customers "tied" to your services -see Apple, Google. The closer you tie them to what you offer, the more you integrate (inside your business) all the services you offer, the greater the chance to build a long-lasting, successful business. And yes, you can also leave the door open for clouds etc, to lure the outsiders, and make it easy for them to transfer. Now, Palm had this large public of loyal consumers, loyal because there was no reason for them to switch, as long as Palm delivered the basic services they wanted, and as long as their migration from one Palm device to the next was seamless.

So what did Palm use to deliver (for me)? The best addressbook/agenda/planning/memo combo. This is why I stuck with them, for years and years, from my first device. And seamlessly moved through devices...

I actually moved to Pre out of the same sense of loyalty, based on that positive experience. But I discovered to my surprise that Palm really, truly missed out on it, right at the core of it. (Otherwise, yes, the phone is pretty, stylish, all that. So are many others.) The very reason for me to switch from handheld to smartphone was to not have to carry both - just that. And the reason for switching to Palm (and not IPhone or such) was the hope of integration of years of data. (Mind you, my handheld works just fine, still!)

So, what does this user need? The address book, the agenda (calendar), the planning software, and the memos + making phone calls, all in one device. Namely,
    1. to be able to transfer seamlessly the PIMs I had on the handheld (where I accumulated years of notes and addresses),
    2. to be able to continue to use them just as well (with my old categories, developed over years etc.)
    3. to be able to connect them to the phone/text function

That's it. These - and only these - are the essentials. The rest is fluff!!!
    But, look at these items! How have they been implemented?

The best suggestion I could have for Palm/HP is to move towards developing what they always had: a proprietary sync option (perhaps with PC/hardware option), with 4 solid PIM apps. This is why I stuck with Palm, and this is exactly what's missing.

Right now, I am using:
    1. Contacts: with Echo, synching with Palm Desktop (hear me, Palm!!!), trying to use "Company Name" instead of categories. This leads to endless scrolling, and it actually takes time to load portions of the long list. Why not have simple categories, selectable from the top menu? Simply - why? And they don't even allow other apps (like Super Contacts, which looks and feels cumbersome) to import loads of data either, but you'd have to do it manually etc. Don't have time for it, with some 600 contacts.
    2. Calendar. Was never a heavy user, because of a different system. So I'm satisfied with this one.
    3. To Do. On my handheld I used Projects, a freeware from a person called Peter Novotnik - a superb piece of software, that I could integrate with To Do, too. On Pre I am using Done!, which gets closest to the flexibility of Projects, but is cumbersome in sorting and prioritizing in overall view. And, of course, it is not integrated in Calendar. (?!?)
    4. Memos. The memos software Pre offers is terrible, and is not at all what the handheld offered - it's just a sort of a scratchpad. Who cares about that! So I am using a free app offered by Echo, since I am synching with the Palm Desktop. Good enough.

My final thought is that, the way I look at it, the Pre needs to be one and only one basic thing: my personal agenda (and now, plus phone/communication device)! This is what my handheld was, at its core. An "agenda" that I kept, because I needed and wanted to keep the information accumulated and categorized carefully over years. And I could seamlessly change the platforms, while keeping it.

[sorry for the long post - but it comes from a relatively old and loyal Palm user]
    Last edited by etme; 10/23/2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by etme View Post
    Right now, I am using:
    1. Contacts: with Echo, synching with Palm Desktop (hear me, Palm!!!), trying to use "Company Name" instead of categories. This leads to endless scrolling, and it actually takes time to load portions of the long list. Why not have simple categories, selectable from the top menu? Simply - why? And they don't even allow other apps (like Super Contacts, which looks and feels cumbersome) to import loads of data either, but you'd have to do it manually etc. Don't have time for it, with some 600 contacts.
    Two things here, 1) Universal Search (U\S), type in a value that is in "Company Name" (singlular word) and your search "hits" will be displayed, no scrolling necessary. 2) Use "Nickname" instead or\in addition to Company name. (see this post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2587648)

3. To Do. On my handheld I used Projects, a freeware from a person called Peter Novotnik - a superb piece of software, that I could integrate with To Do, too. On Pre I am using Done!, which gets closest to the flexibility of Projects, but is cumbersome in sorting and prioritizing in overall view. And, of course, it is not integrated in Calendar. (?!?)
    There are several "Project" apps in the catalog but as I don't use them, I can make a recommendation.

4. Memos. The memos software Pre offers is terrible, and is not at all what the handheld offered - it's just a sort of a scratchpad. Who cares about that! So I am using a free app offered by Echo, since I am synching with the Palm Desktop. Good enough.
    You do realize that fundamentally, the PalmOS memos was just a scratchpad with "Categories" right? To solve your problem, Universal Search will come to the rescue again. Enter a "category" in 4 or 6 of your WebOS memos (anywhere within will do) and then save. Go back to the "main" notes screen and begin "typing" your newly entered category...notice what's happening? Yep, WebOS U\S is parsing all of your Memos and returning matches to your typing which happen to be a "category" as you've entered it. So it supports and "infinite" number of categories because it parses all text within a memo. THAT's something you couldn't do in PalmOS.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    So what did Palm use to deliver (for me)? The best addressbook/agenda/planning/memo combo. This is why I stuck with them, for years and years, from my first device. And seamlessly moved through devices...

I actually moved to Pre out of the same sense of loyalty, based on that positive experience. But I discovered to my surprise that Palm really, truly missed out on it, right at the core of it. (Otherwise, yes, the phone is pretty, stylish, all that. So are many others.) The very reason for me to switch from handheld to smartphone was to not have to carry both - just that. And the reason for switching to Palm (and not IPhone or such) was the hope of integration of years of data. (Mind you, my handheld works just fine, still!)

So, what does this user need? The address book, the agenda (calendar), the planning software, and the memos + making phone calls, all in one device. Namely,
    1. to be able to transfer seamlessly the PIMs I had on the handheld (where I accumulated years of notes and addresses),
    2. to be able to continue to use them just as well (with my old categories, developed over years etc.)
    3. to be able to connect them to the phone/text function

That's it. These - and only these - are the essentials. The rest is fluff!!!
    Wow. 100% on! This whole posting could be from me.
    Exactly how I feel.

But, look at these items! How have they been implemented?
    Far away from the leading edge, Palm used to have.

The best suggestion I could have for Palm/HP is to move towards developing what they always had: a proprietary sync option (perhaps with PC/hardware option), with 4 solid PIM apps. This is why I stuck with Palm, and this is exactly what's missing.
    I actually like the cloud sync approach with Palm now HP Synergy.
    Wishing, the implementation and take over of old data would have worked out as needed.
    On the other hand, having the (priopretary) local sync as an option would be great.

Right now, I am using:
    2. Calendar. Was never a heavy user, because of a different system. So I'm satisfied with this one.
    1.) For now, I sync with GoogleContacts (GoogleMail). This works great; Except: HP/PALM: Please fix the missing (multiple) categories or tags function. A.S.A.P. !!!

2.) Except some missing views, the calendar app with the support for multiple calendars - I use 7 Google Calendars in different colors - is just great.
    HP/PALM: Fix the missing views, eventually support categories/tags for within the calendars, and most is fine.

3.) I also use Done! and Toodledo. The most powerful task tool I ever so. Here I am right in line with your comments.

4.) For memos, I am now on Noted! on webOS and SimpleNote in the cloud.
    This is a becoming a great solution. While Noted! (also from TCS / TigerCountrySoftware

My final thought is that, the way I look at it, the Pre needs to be one and only one basic thing: my personal agenda (and now, plus phone/communication device)! This is what my handheld was, at its core. An "agenda" that I kept, because I needed and wanted to keep the information accumulated and categorized carefully over years. And I could seamlessly change the platforms, while keeping it.
    Yes. I think, loosing much of past accumulated information, that is where Palm dropped the ball.
    While many shortcommings can be filled over time by 3rd party apps and solutions, this was a disappointment for many long time loyal Palm users.

OK. Let's hope they fix it now, since they (HP/Palm) want to go for the business and coporate user.
    There those PIM really are an essential part. So it might be, that improvements are comming in not to distant future. (Probably couldn't manage to get it into webOS 2.0.)

HP/Palm: Do you hear us?

Thanks in advance for fixing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboxxer View Post
    It would be a dream come true with both Done! & Noted can implement USCL quick task & quick note entry.

And Universal Searching works with all Done!'s tasks, Noted's notes and any calendar events......
    Haeffb the developer for Done! Noted! and Agenda is very responsive and if you post this request in that that thread I am sure he would respond. I do know he was working with the dev for USCL to find a solution for that earlier. I also agree an agenda view for tasks would be nice.
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/23/2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Two things here, 1) Universal Search (U\S), type in a value that is in "Company Name" (singlular word) and your search "hits" will be displayed, no scrolling necessary. 2) Use "Nickname" instead or\in addition to Company name. (see this post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2587648)
    There are several "Project" apps in the catalog but as I don't use them, I can make a recommendation.
    You do realize that fundamentally, the PalmOS memos was just a scratchpad with "Categories" right? To solve your problem, Universal Search will come to the rescue again. Enter a "category" in 4 or 6 of your WebOS memos (anywhere within will do) and then save. Go back to the "main" notes screen and begin "typing" your newly entered category...notice what's happening? Yep, WebOS U\S is parsing all of your Memos and returning matches to your typing which happen to be a "category" as you've entered it. So it supports and "infinite" number of categories because it parses all text within a memo. THAT's something you couldn't do in PalmOS.
    I really do appreciate your detailed replies. Your suggestions are helpful - thank you again!

What I would like to mention is that some of the routes required by Palm's new set-up work only for new data (and even there they are cumbersome), but not for old data. And yet old data there is, for us old Palm customers. Please do not mind therefore the slight disappointment that comes through my words here below... it is directed only at the frustration experienced as the effect of a few hours I spent yesterday on PIMs and transfer.

Indeed, I unfortunately spent a few hours (!!!) yesterday writing in "company names" (and deleting existing ones) for over 500 contacts! The only reason I had the time to do that, was that I am actually down and out with a cold, so could not do my actual work (sorry, too much info). In fact, I had the phone for a while, but it was only now that I could spend time with this. And the other reason I could actually do it, was that I chose to keep Palm Desktop for sync purposes (with Echo), as I am not comfortable with Google or another remote server having all my private information. Thus, I could actually do the modifications within Palm Desktop, using the big keyboard, and then sync it to Pre.

The point is, the first step, ie the seamless integration of accumulated (Palm) data into the new device - well, there simply is no such thing, unfortunately. I spent some other hours before the aforementioned adventure, just researching the net on how I could in fact do transfers of PIM info, since for each Pim component there is a different software, ambiance, things to do, company names to input, keywords etc. Mind-boggling. And time- and money-consuming. And for me, the customer... well, disappointing... Again, I refer to the transfer of large amounts of data - I am confident that our lives did not start with the Pre.

Comparing this cumbersome and time-consuming adventure (why?) with my days of synching from one Pal device to the other - well... This is why I mentioned that some proprietary, desktop sync solution would actually be a great relief. Simplicity, reliability, privacy. Simplicity, first and foremost.

As for categories, I understand the paradigm switch from sorting to search. I do not like it, but I understand. It's Google's style. But it simply does not work with all the data I accumulated, and unfortunately I do not have the hours or the simple intention to go through hundreds of old memos, adding keywords, to be able to sort them afterwards etc. I have lists of wines I discovered in Italy, music discovered in different countries, and so on, over many years - all of these grouped by areas etc. If I enter "music" in the memos, as category, universal search will probably find all my items containing "music" - which should mean that I need to come up with original, unique keywords, and remember them etc. Too much work... - and why?

Another example: because of the lack of categories in contacts, I just had to download another piece of software, to make a quick contacts list, available at first sight. With categories, being able to choose between "category view" or "all" (plus the old category Quick View), I would not have needed yet another software (with another quick launch icon etc).

If I do a search with U/S, by "company name," (which are my new categories!), I still have to scroll to the individual user I need, since I can not "double search."
    Also, I created fake "company names" (categories) using a number and a title ("1 personal," "2 work"...), because I needed them to appear in a specific order of priority, when I open Contacts. Now, if I want to do a U/S, whenever I punch in 2, a mini Dialer appears on top, which means that I need to move one field down to Find, select that, start typing there... and so on. Plus, inputing numbers is cumbersome, as it takes pressing two buttons - and then space, and the title etc.

Category sort? Would only be one click. And Contacts then can be set by default to the list needed commonly, switchable with two simple clicks to another list.

It's not like category view is impossible on Pre, of course - even for PIMs! Right now, there are some pieces of software that might keep the categories that I had previously. But for each PIM component , I need a different sync, a different software, different things/things to do, hours to spend, money to buy various software...

And these third party software pieces are NOT integrated into the Pre essentials, so now I have two or three contacts software, at least three notes software, project software that is not integrated in Pre's calendar, and so on.

In other words, Pre not delivering a solid package of its own PIMs, compatible with what went before, was a big mistake. Pre not mending this mistake is a bigger mistake. They can still do it! But for some reason I do not perceive that the company notices that this is a problem - this, meaning:
    1. that right now Palm does not have a solid set of PIMs - which was always Palm's strength; and
    2. that the existing PIMs can hardly be synchronized with the ones we had.

So I just spent several paragraphs here expressing what I should have been able to say with only three words: synchronized Palm PIMs (what a lovely sounding expression!)

By the way, I actually like the phone's design a lot, and its general interface (WebOS), and I still have brand loyalty - otherwise I would not have written all this...
    Last edited by etme; 10/23/2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I can only second the post from ETME and RGLOOR (greetings from SWT to SWT)

. I am a user of PALM PIM's since the days of US Robotics Palm Pilot back in 1996. PALM almost lost me with the PRE, thanks to NOTED! and some tricks around Lotus Notes and Google (companionlink) I survived.

BUT, and that's still an issue for possibly many "business users" of the PRE, I don't really like to see my vital business information somewhere out in the cloud. I would rather be able to control the flow and storage of data myself and be responsible for the safety of my data throughout all steps of syncronization. And I had to rely on two providers only: PALMOS and Lotus.

The second issue in this context, though Lotus Notes related for me: the four "core PIM apps" were fully integrated in LN.

So, the cloud may be an easy and attractive way for many, there is for sure still a considerable part of "old loyal PALM users" waiting for a move towards an integrated offering to satify the needs of the considerable community waiting for exactly that sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Wow. 100% on! This whole posting could be from me.
    Exactly how I feel.

OK. Let's hope they fix it now, since they (HP/Palm) want to go for the business and coporate user.
    There those PIM really are an essential part. So it might be, that improvements are comming in not to distant future. (Probably couldn't manage to get it into webOS 2.0.)

HP/Palm: Do you hear us?

Thanks in advance for fixing that.
    Indeed. My problem with Google sync is that I do not want all my private info to be stored on external servers. Privacy still matters to me. But I am glad it is working for you. But, yes, Google here, ToodleDo there, hopping from cloud to cloud to password to sync method to... I do hope HP/Palm people are listening to your/our suggestions, I really do. Just like with Apple, coolness and brand loyalty are key to making companies great.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    BUT, and that's still an issue for possibly many "business users" of the PRE, I don't really like to see my vital business information somewhere out in the cloud. I would rather be able to control the flow and storage of data myself and be responsible for the safety of my data throughout all steps of syncronization.
    Indeed. My problem with Google sync is that I do not want all my private info to be stored on external servers. Privacy still matters to me.
    Me too!

However, I do like the Synergy concept. Having several sources to melt together in the look-up / display. And more over, having a central data source, where my Smartphone (Palm Pre+), the home office computer as well as the office computer are in sync.
    Despite not being overly happy with the data at google and Co., it presently works at least.

I wished there was a way, to store my (sensitive) personal/business data on my own server. Actually on my space at my ISP's server.

With HP Synergy opened up in webOS 2.0, there is the chance to come one step closer to that.

So, HP/PALM: Make sure you keep all those long time loyal professionals and small business owners on board, or get them back on board.