1.    #1  
    I've finally been able to sync my Pre to my company's exchange server (wasn't an issue with phone, but company's ridiculous IT policies)..

Anyway, when adding the account under email accounts, it also adds it as a calendar account (good), and a contacts account (bad, 12000 names in my address book I don't want/need there).

If I remove the account from contacts, it deletes the account from email and calendar as well.

So, is there a way to have an exchange account sync w/ email and calendar but not contacts?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    sure, delete the EAS server account in Contacts.

When you first set up an acct (email, contacts, calendar, messaging) the Pre will load all for you. You can then delete those you don't want from each application. Supposedly 2.0 is supposed to make this more transparent and easier to deal with.
    Dan
  3.    #3  
    As I said in my original post, when I delete the account in contacts, it removes ALL of the accounts (email calendar).

Edit: To make it clear, I'm going to "Preferences & Account" under contacts, selecting the exchange account, then clicking "remove account". When I do that, it removes all those contacts, but also deletes that account from email and the calendar.
    Last edited by slick5150; 09/19/2010 at 08:03 PM.
  4.    #4  
    I've tried a couple other times, and while it lets me remove only the contacts part of a gmail account (and keeps the email and calendar account there), when I remove the exchange account from contacts, it removes the email and calendar as well. Is this a bug, or just some harsh reality of an exchange account?
    Usually with exchange it doesn't sync the contacts to your phone it just makes it accessible to you for searching under global address lookup. Is this not occurring in your scenario?
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Usually with exchange it doesn't sync the contacts to your phone it just makes it accessible to you for searching under global address lookup. Is this not occurring in your scenario?
    What zulfaqar said. EAS stuff is all integrated, so you can't just remove the contacts piece. But, on my phone, it doesn't try to integrate them into my own address book. EAS comes up in universal search and everything as its own entity. I really like it this way, and hope that Synergy never changes to try to sync an entire EAS contact directory (YUCK!)
    : (){:|:&};:
    What version of Exchange Server is your company using? Are those contacts in YOUR exchange address book or in the company's global address list? If you happened to copy the company address book to your personal address book that could cause the problem.
  8.    #8  
    Not sure what version of Exchange it is, but yes, it is downloading the entire contact list (so when I remove the contact account, it takes a REALLY long time for it to actually do that).
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I realize Gmail could very well be different, but I have Gmail set up as an exchange server on my phone. It syncs the contacts in "My Contacts" to my phone, but all other folders are not downloaded but instead searched using the global search. It works great for me since I can have contacts that I frequently contact synced and stored in my phone, but other folders like "suggested contacts" that I would prefer not to be in my phone are still available.
  10.    #10  
    I'm still scratching my head over this one. No matter what I try, removing the Exchange account from contacts removes it from everything, including email accounts.
    HardBeatZ has explicitly stated that it cannot be done and that Exhange synergy is all or nothing. So you would have to pare down your Exchange contacts in order to get rid of them, unfortunately.