Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Cal View Post
    Does anyone know how to change to name that shows up when in the "From:" field when sending an email? I have three different hotmail accounts and want the from field to reflect the account from which it's being sent. Any ideas?

I can't seem to figure out where the accounts are getting my name from. In contacts, I have them set as the name I want to use, but it still comes across as my full name when I send an email. I checked the name that's in the hotmail account profile/preferences and that doesn't have my full name either, so I'm confused. Thanks for any help!
    Has anyone figured this out? I'm having the same problem. I have two hotmail accounts and regardless from which account I send an email via the pre, it always says 'From: <correct email> on behalf of "wrong name"' on the receiving end. The only place I can find from which it could be pulling this name is my Palm Profile, but why on earth would it use that?
  2. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    I read this question earlier in the post but didn't say any reply.. is there a way to only sync my email or sync everything except the contacts? I have a huge list of contacts in my hotmail account which I don't need/want syncing to the phone. Is it possible or should I just stick to POP.
    x2 for this question.

I got it set up and it worked perfectly fine as advertised. I deleted it today and going back to POP because :
    1. Don't want hotmail contacts
    2. Emails in html don't show up
    3. Seems to cause excessive battery drain.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I got sick of this, and just linked my Hotmail to my Gmail account; working brilliantly now!

Kind of ironic that having actually added the functionality I was after, MS have essentially lost a user by botching it so badly.
    I'm not sure if anyone had the same problem I posted about earlier regarding the 'other' phone field not showing up. I added a gmail account to the phone and suddenly the other field is showing up as 'generic/mobile'! I'm not sure what the cause of this odd bug is but all numbers are showing up again!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I started using the exchange to hotmail when it became available and all was good. But for the past 2 weeks when I delete an email from hotmail in my browser that deletion is not reflected on my phone. So now i'm back to having to delete emails in both places. Anyone else having this issue?
    I assume no one has found a solution for this yet other than going back to POP or importing to a Gmail account?
    People here keep referencing using IMAP for their hotmail. What are the IMAP settings? I can't get it to work on my Pre. I don't like POP because of the consistent "Unable to connect to the server error" and I don't really want exchange because I don't want my hotmail contacts on my Pre. I'm assuming that if it is IMAP then I would be able to remove the account from my contacts and keep the email. Correct? and if so, what are the settings?

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Ok, let me repeat myself. I connected using Exchange already. People in this thread are stating that they connected via IMAP, which is not the same thing as Exchange. Frankly, the WebOS implementation of Exchange is pathetic. Why can't we specify what we want to sync? i don't want my contacts or calendar to sync, and it seems that by the numerous other threads around here, no one else does either. Also seemed that as soon as I set up the Exchange account, there is a huge lag in the responsiveness of my Pre. I could be wrong, but since it magically cleared up as soon as I switched back to POP, I don't think I am wrong.

But, the final deal breaker... No HTML message support! ***, really?!?! Is this 1990 or 2011???

So, again, my question, are there IMAP settings for hotmail? Or are the only choices POP or EAS?

I don't know the answer to your final question but you can go into preferences and accounts in both contacts and calendar and remove any account you don't want synced to that particular app. Email would stay the same/continue to sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    Why can't we specify what we want to sync? i don't want my contacts or calendar to sync, and it seems that by the numerous other threads around here, no one else does either.
    In webOS 2.0.1 on the Pre 2, you actually can select what all you wish to sync for each individual account. I personally have my Pre 2 setup to sync 'contacts, email and calendar' with Gmail, 'emails and calendar' with Hotmail and only 'email' with Yahoo.

Also seemed that as soon as I set up the Exchange account, there is a huge lag in the responsiveness of my Pre. I could be wrong, but since it magically cleared up as soon as I switched back to POP, I don't think I am wrong.
    Personally, I have not found any evidence of this on my Pre + or Pre 2.

But, the final deal breaker... No HTML message support! ***, really?!?! Is this 1990 or 2011???
    This one I have to totally agree is a very lame implementation of active sync for Hotmail by Microsoft. It's almost as if Microsoft wants HOtmail users to all switch over to gMail if they wish to use email on their cellphones.

So, again, my question, are there IMAP settings for hotmail? Or are the only choices POP or EAS?
    I am quite sure that Hotmail does not support IMAP and this is not only for webOS, they just don't have IMAP support, period.

PS: A rather effective workaround is for you to forward your Hotmail account to a gMail account, which you could then sync with your Pre. This way, you also won't have to sync your 'contacts or calendar' from Hotmail.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    In webOS 2.0.1 on the Pre 2, you actually can select what all you wish to sync for each individual account. I personally have my Pre 2 setup to sync 'contacts, email and calendar' with Gmail, 'emails and calendar' with Hotmail and only 'email' with Yahoo.

Personally, I have not found any evidence of this on my Pre + or Pre 2.

This one I have to totally agree is a very lame implementation of active sync for Hotmail by Microsoft. It's almost as if Microsoft wants HOtmail users to all switch over to gMail if they wish to use email on their cellphones.

I am quite sure that Hotmail does not support IMAP and this is not only for webOS, they just don't have IMAP support, period.

PS: A rather effective workaround is for you to forward your Hotmail account to a gMail account, which you could then sync with your Pre. This way, you also won't have to sync your 'contacts or calendar' from Hotmail.
    Thank you. I didn't think that there was IMAP available either but since ppl here were referencing that they set up their hotmail as IMAP I was hoping that I was missing something. My only complaint with having my gmail fetch my hotmail is that then any replies to a msg I received in hotmail will come from my gmail address, not my hotmail address. Not that it's a huge deal, but it could confuse some recipients and it could lead to my message bouncing to a spam folder in their email program.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I don't know the answer to your final question but you can go into preferences and accounts in both contacts and calendar and remove any account you don't want synced to that particular app. Email would stay the same/continue to sync.
    Well, that's partially correct....
    In any other email format (POP, IMAP, gmail, yahoo) and even in most of the messaging, calendar type apps, this is true. You can simply delete any of the options independently. Unfortunately, for some reason, Palm didn't feel that adding this feature when they implemented Exchange was necessary. For an exchange account, its all or nothing. If you search, there are several sites showing step-by-step how to install hotmail as Exchange on an iPhone/iPod and in the screen shots, there is a screen with 3 toggles to turn on/off syncing of email, contacts or calendar. Palm somehow forgot about that page in their setup.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabroni View Post
    This is finally working on my Pre after a year of waiting. This will help me so damn much w business.

But now emails are showing in text rather than html...
    I wish had all my mails in plain text ... maybe there is a hidden switch somewhere?
    Cheers, Vince
    @webos24net donate
    I just added my hotmail and it was as simple as adding my gmail acct (email addr then password) I didnt have to mess with all the detailed settings..is this because of a patch I have added or something cause I tried adding my hotmail before and it was just too hard for me to do without effort.
    hotmail made a lot of improvements in the last year.

my only complaint about it is that it only holds 1,000 contacts. Other than that... I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by djnomad View Post
    I just added my hotmail and it was as simple as adding my gmail acct (email addr then password) I didnt have to mess with all the detailed settings..is this because of a patch I have added or something cause I tried adding my hotmail before and it was just too hard for me to do without effort.
    But didn't it add it as a pop3 account??

When I add my Hotmail account to my Palm Pre I only see my main calendar. When I add it to my Ipod Touch (which I never use) I see all the calendars. How can I see all my hotmail calendars on my Pre (VZW Pre Plus 1.4.5)

Is this strictly an implementation difference between webOS and iOS?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234