1. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    There are several posts/threads stating how to access AKO Mail on the Palm Pre. Most all of them are contradictory and some are fairly dated.

Looking for actual instructions that are within the last couple months to ensure all the recent WebOS upgrades are considered.

Please reply with GOOD instructions that work . . . Im interested in being able to use the PRE to check mail. Would even consider using the webmail, but would like to use existing mail software if able.

Thankx in advance~

dc in DC
    This was posted by me less than three weeks ago. It works.

----

Having the appropriate certificates on your phone is an important step, but I wasn't able to get past error screens using the imap server parameters. By working with the same pop server I use on my desktop, and the stock parameters AKO recommends for that type of setup, I was able to get the phone to use AKO pop mail. I'm on Verizon, FYI.

The key settings are:
    Mail Type: POP
    Incoming server: pop.us.army.mil
    Username: your.ako.e-mail without "@us.army.mil"
    Encryption: SSL
    Port: 995

Outgoing: mailrouter.us.army.mil
    Authentication: ON
    Username: same as above
    Encryption: SSL
    Port: 465

Certificates (not all may be required):
    dodca11.cer through dodca26.cer
    dodClass2root.cer
    dodClass3root.cer
    DoDCLASS3RootCA
    dodemailca11.cer through dodemailca26.cer
    dodINTca1.cer
    dodINTca2.cer
    dodocs.cer
    DoDRootCA2.cer

A lot of these certificates came from a zip pack in another thread on PreCentral, AKO Email Settings. Thanks to conjalka for that. The other certificates I wasn't able to export through the standard method in Mac OS X's keychain, because it would only let me export using an encrypted version. I discovered that I was able to export .der files (the phone recognizes these) of the certificates through Firefox.

Click on the Firefox menu, then: Preferences>Advanced>Encryption>View Certificates>Authorities

Then scroll down to the "U.S. Government" section and you should find a few certificates related to AKO e-mail and Webmail. If it's anything in the list of certificates I have above, you should probably copy it into your Pre's downloads folder via the USB cable. These files are small so it's not much of a risk to just take all of the AKO-related ones.

You'll need to manually install them once you've got them on the Pre, using the directions you've probably seen a few times in these forums. Hopefully it works.

----

That was from a thread called "howto setup ako basic proper please sticky"

There are a lot of good posts that helped me get to that point. GOOD being the key word. The implication in asking for people to reply with GOOD instructions, as I see it, is that you thought the dozen or so very detailed posts of instructions in multiple threads on this subject weren't good. That might not be what you meant, but that's an easy interpretation to make. Good luck getting your Pre running AKO.
    Last edited by OrlandoAlex; 08/26/2010 at 08:19 PM.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
  3. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Is it possible ports are different for different carriers? After falling step-by-step twice, still getting the same error. "Unable to sign in"
    The sign-in error definitely wasn't the issue for me -- it was invalid certificates. The settings definitely work for me though, but since I have seen posts from others saying different settings work for them, you might have to just give it a shot with the others. If you're getting a sign-in error I would guess it's got something to do with the way the e-mail app is signing in with your user ID. Be extra sure you don't have either the incoming or outgoing server set up to use the full username@us.army.mil. It can only be the username part. Have you gotten any other errors at any point when trying to get this working?
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
  5. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Still getting
    "
    Unable To Sign In

The server's security certificate is not a trusted certificate."

Attached is the list of CERTs I have installed, and trusted.
    Last edited by dec; 09/05/2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: pic didn't upload
  6. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    After reviewing the list of cert's from post above to the one's I have installed . . . it confirms that the multiple threads are opposing. I moved all cert's from my firefox browser (which allow me full access to AKO and the AKO MAIL sites) to the PRE.

Maybe its just in the too hard to hard to do category .
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    see this link: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...downloads.html for download of working certs and imap setup
  8. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

This is the message I receive. Note, @us.... is not in the setup~
  9. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    page not found with that link flea~
  10. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    OK --- flea just posted instructions that worked on first try! RECOMMEND DELETE THIS AND EVERY OTHER AKO thread and leave FLEAs from today as the only one.
  11. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    ADMIN --- pls kill this thread
    Again, saying that a thread is invalid because it didn't fix your problem is wrong, it's also insulting for the people trying to help. Here's the deal. IMAP does not work universally. If it did, I would be using IMAP right now. My whole post was based on this simple fact. I found a workaround for IMAP not working for everyone. I recognized there are people out there who are getting it to work, so I didn't post in the IMAP threads that "it doesn't work, kill the thread."

There are a lot of different situations out there -- different phones, different versions of the OS, different access levels to AKO. That's the reality of the situation, which is why the reality includes multiple working configurations. Please stop telling the world that the only configuration that works for everyone is the one that worked for you.

I'm happy you got AKO working on your phone. I'm happy it's working on my phone. Somehow we're using different configurations. Somehow they both work.