Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm suddenly having huge trouble with my email on my palm pre plus.

I use gmail, but I have it set up at popmail, not imap. this morning it stopped working properly - I was repeatedly unable to send messages with attachments. So I decided to remove my account and set it up again.

But after I (repeatedly) tried to remove it, all that happened is that all the mailboxes, except the outbox disappeared and there is no send and receive button anymore. I keep going into settings and I select remove my account, but nothing happens. I'm at a loss as to what to do.
    What happens if you shut the phone off, pull the battery and restart?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3.    #3  
    shutting off the phone didn't help. I haven't tried the battery yet. I'll try it now.
    On mobile devices, gmail really works better as IMAP, anyway. You might want to try that.

There is a none issue with using gmail on them as POP mail where new messages completely disappear and they have never been able to resolve it or figure out what causes it.

Have you tried it as IMAP? It works very well and if you don't want instant push, which you don't get with the POP, you can just change the frequency for which your phone checks the email account
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    On mobile devices, gmail really works better as IMAP, anyway. You might want to try that.

There is a none issue with using gmail on them as POP mail where new messages completely disappear and they have never been able to resolve it or figure out what causes it.

Have you tried it as IMAP? It works very well and if you don't want instant push, which you don't get with the POP, you can just change the frequency for which your phone checks the email account
    It didn't work. No inbox I don't know what to try now.

I haven't used IMAP because I never delete messages from my gmail online (and I'm using close to 2gb of my storage space). I don't want 2gb of messages stored on my Pre, which is what will happen if I set up IMAP, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    I don't want 2gb of messages stored on my Pre, which is what will happen if I set up IMAP, right?
    Nope....you have the option to tell webOS how much e-mail you would like to keep synced. From 1 day to everything. Works marvelously and increases the fantasticness of mobile e-mail.

POP...it's for the birds!

<<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  7.    #7  
    OK but I still can't get rid of my pop account. It won't let me delete it. I've even tried adding another email account of mine, making it the default one, then deleting the one in question. It just won't disappear.
    I'm stumped. I hate to toss out the Dr. idea but it's looking preferable.

When you add the other account make sure to switch it to the default and see if you can delete the pop account then.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm stumped. I hate to toss out the Dr. idea but it's looking preferable.

When you add the other account make sure to switch it to the default and see if you can delete the pop account then.
    I did try that. Didn't help.
    Okay...lets start at the very beginning. Describe every step, in detail, that you did to remove the **** account. Clicked here, selected that....
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  11.    #11  
    Well my phone stopped sending emails that had photo attachments (I succssefully sent an excel sheet, so it wasn't the email account). I decided to remove the account and then set it up again.
    I went to account preferences, selected my gmail pop account, scrolled to the bottom hit the red remove account button. It asked me if I was sure. I selected yes.
    When I then went back to the main email screen my inbox, trash, sent, and draft boxes were gone. Only the outbox remained. I have tried to delete it over and over again...nothing.

I tried adding the gmail account again, but when I entered the email address and password it stated duplicate account.

I've tried removing the battery, etc. Nothing helps.
    Well you did that the right way.

You could try removing all E-mail, Calendar and Contact accounts and rebooting?

I'm at a loss....paging the brains!
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  13.    #13  
    OK I deleted the calendar, contacts, and then deleting the email worked.

I'll go for the Imap, but just to be sure:

-I don't want all the emails from my gmail account on my phone
    -I want to be able to delete emails from my phone without them being deleted from my online gmail box.

Is this possible? And how do I set it up? Do I need to make any changes in my online gmail account?
  14.    #14  
    OK I'm testing IMAP out with a second gmail account I have.

I can't get the phone to send messages. It downloads received messages, but I can't reply. Do I need to enter any outgoing server settings? According to gmail's help I dont.
    -I want to be able to delete emails from my phone without them being deleted from my online gmail box.
    Then you don't want IMAP
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Do I need to enter any outgoing server settings? According to gmail's help I dont.
    To send messages your phone will need to know what server to send them to.

Outgoing:
    Use Auth = ON
    smtp.gmail.com
    SSL Encryption
    Port 465
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  17.    #17  
    Then you don't want IMAP
    But in your earlier post you said that I can clear messages from my phone without having them be deleted online. What's the solution then? Pop mail for gmail sucks on web os, but my gmail account is my archive of messages which I regularly have to search for important stuff received in the past.
  18.    #18  
    To send messages your phone will need to know what server to send them to.

Outgoing:
    Use Auth = ON
    smtp.gmail.com
    SSL Encryption
    Port 465
    OK now it won't save the changes. I enter this in, then gesture back it says "preferences saved (or whatever)" but then when I return to take a look, they are gone.

I'm beginning to think my phone is defective.
    But in your earlier post you said that I can clear messages from my phone without having them be deleted online. What's the solution then? Pop mail for gmail sucks on web os, but my gmail account is my archive of messages which I regularly have to search for important stuff received in the past.
    What I said was that the phone could sync messages in a time window of 1 day to everything.

The idea with IMAP is that what is in your Gmail account is on your phone and (to the extent of your sync parameters) what is on your phone is in your Gmail account. Get it?

So say you set the sync window for 1 month. The phone will keep a moving window of 30 days worth of e-mail synced to the phone. If you delete one of these messages on the phone it removes it from the server and if you delete a message on the server it will remove it form the phone.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    OK now it won't save the changes. I enter this in, then gesture back it says "preferences saved (or whatever)" but then when I return to take a look, they are gone.

I'm beginning to think my phone is defective.
    Me too. Options?

• Call or online-chat with Palm. They have good support.
    • Run webOS doctor on your phone and try again

That said I'm not the worlds foremost authority on this.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast