Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1 to Windows Media Player

I often buy music using the Amazon MP3 app and this allows me to sync the new music to my computer easily. It's easy to create an "autoplaylist" to sync all my music, just wish it has compatible playlist files.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Why do you always suggest this? Well, not you, specifically, but people in general. Is it so hard to believe and accept that people like to SYNC THEIR PLAYLISTS WITH THEIR COMPUTER?!! Not to mention that a lot of people have playlists on their computer whose sole purpose is to contain the tracks they want on their Pre (because if you take music on and off a lot, it's more convenient than drag and drop). Thus, they want a syncing solution that will sync playlists!

People are always trying to circumvent the original question about SYNCING to something else entirely without realizing that it's not what people want.
    Windows Media Player.
    I echo Malpha's frustrations with playlist sync.
    Napster, Amazon and Windows Media Player are my tools.

Microsoft's Free Sync Toy was also useful when I got a replacement Pre to upload again.
    I'm using Winamp with the ml_ipod plugin and my Pre set to "Media Sync" mode. Works like a charm.
    I use J. River Media Center for an iTunes replacement.

J.River is what itunes woud have become if Steve wasn't a pretentiuous overlord mandating how you should use your software.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You can create playlists on the fly with Music Player Remix (available in Preware).
    Thank you! This works great, reminds me of the on the go lists on my iTouch. This will keep me happy until I try out Media Monkey or some of the others suggested.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    itunes agent...i hate steve jobs
    I still do as well, but I can't sync all of a sudden...does the new web os 1.4.5 stop the sync between itunes 8 and pre? I am so frustrated!
    I have always synced my itunes 8 with pre until recently it just started saying cannot do it! So, I have spent endless hours trying to find a way to do this and I found Doubletwist. It does not recognize my pre...so that is worthless, and I can't get my album artwork or playlists from itunes....I am not that computer savvy, but I just don't get this! I don't even quite understand what you mean by making a folder in USB and drop and drag.....how does that all work....thanks for your time
    I use DoubleTwist to sync with Windows 7. It generates playlists (and transfers Media Player playlists) which seem not to work - ok, don't work.

On investigation, I found out why this is. The .m3u playlist format files generated by DoubleTwist do not faithfully reflect the .mp3 filenames - specifically it gets the lettercase of the folder names wrong.

One could simply correct these by hand with a text editor - .m3u is a simple text format - but this would be excruciating for a significant number of songs/playlists.

As a workaround, I forced my music folders hierarchy to have lower case names throughout. I did this using a script I found on the net: google for RenLowerCase.vbs. Then, I synched the music with the Pre.

Finally, I manually edited the .m3u files on the Palm, using a text editor that can force blocks of text to lower case (I use Textpad, but lots of editors can do this). I made the whole file contents lower case. Huzzah! I have working playlists!

Something of a palaver, and it would be much better if DoubleTwist did the right thing.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    I downloaded Double Twist as I was dropping music into a music folder before but I was wanting my playlists. I do like DT but right now it's not working to get playlists on to the pre. I visited their forum and it seems like its an issue with the new version of DT but I can't find an older version anywhere. The forum says they are working on it, since July. I'm needing to find something else that can do the playlist.
    Yep... this is why I switched to MediaMonkey... & MM recognizes your Pre as an iPod (when you use Media Sync mode) & automatically syncs, just like iTunes used too. Also, there are places you can find old versions of iTunes, but I find that Apple makes it difficult to go backwards.
    Salling Sync works great on my iMac. In iTunes i defined a "Pre Sync" Playlist, which is synced to Pre everytime I connect it.
    I use MediaMonkey. It imports all of my playlists from both Winamp and iTunes and syncs music and playlist perfectly with my Pre.
    <<Thread Moved/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Why do you always suggest this? Well, not you, specifically, but people in general. Is it so hard to believe and accept that people like to SYNC THEIR PLAYLISTS WITH THEIR COMPUTER?!! Not to mention that a lot of people have playlists on their computer whose sole purpose is to contain the tracks they want on their Pre (because if you take music on and off a lot, it's more convenient than drag and drop). Thus, they want a syncing solution that will sync playlists!

People are always trying to circumvent the original question about SYNCING to something else entirely without realizing that it's not what people want.
    It's simple. The OP asked for the best way to GET their MUSIC/PLAYLISTS from iTunes to their Pre. The "/" generally means "and or" and the OP didn't ask about syncing. Simply getting the music on the Pre. I answered that question.

I don't change out my music all of the time so a sync is not necessary for me. Also my playlists tend to fall within genres so the Music Player already divides those out for me. Also, if I want to remove music from my Pre I can easily do that from Internalz without having to connect to a computer and when I buy new music that I want to add I can either get it from the Amazon MP3 app and move it to my computer later or I can get it on my laptop and drag and drop it the next time I connect.

It also doesn't require the addition or purchase of any other software than they already use for media management and it answers their question.

Personally I think it is ridiculous to respond with "use Windows Media Player" when someone asks how do I move my music from iTunes. People already have preferences for what music/media management software they use and they just want to know how to make it work with their device. Since iTunes is my preference, I generally provide that answer. If they were asking how to make Media Monkey work I just wouldn't post because I don't know.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterdog View Post
    I have always synced my itunes 8 with pre until recently it just started saying cannot do it! So, I have spent endless hours trying to find a way to do this and I found Doubletwist. It does not recognize my pre...so that is worthless, and I can't get my album artwork or playlists from itunes....I am not that computer savvy, but I just don't get this! I don't even quite understand what you mean by making a folder in USB and drop and drag.....how does that all work....thanks for your time
    The best way to do this is simple

1. Create a music folder on the USB drive of the Pre.
    a) When you connect your Pre to the computer via cable, on the Pre it will display 2 buttons: USB Drive or Just Charge. Select USB Drive.
    b) Assuming you're on a PC, if a window pops up asking What do you want Windows to do? select Open folder to view files i.e. open with Windows Explorer, and it would open showing your Pre and it's USB drive, i.e. all of the files on the Pre that are accessible for the user.
    c) So, click on PALM PRE (L): the letter varies per computer, and click File -> New -> Folder and name it Music.
    I don't use iTunes so I don't know if you can do this directly in iTunes, but this is the way I edit my Pre USB drive.

2. Open iTunes and select the song(s) you want on the pre and Drag and drop them to the Music folder you created.
    Last edited by suzyQt; 08/26/2010 at 09:16 AM.
    I have 6GB of music (935 songs) on my Pre, and another 4G that won't fit on there. When I get new music, it's usually a process of take something off and put something on. I've got playlists with 200 songs on them, 70, 166 songs on them, smart playlists that contain the songs I just added to my library...a while host of things. So solutuions like Internalz, drag and drop, flylists...are not really solutions for me. That's why when someone asks about syncing (or getting them on and off...same thing, imo), I get annoyed when people go off topic.

Of course, the OP hasn't responded yet, so who knows what his needs really are. Unfortunately, while responding with WMP/JRM/MM to an iTunes question may seem annoying, that's the reality of Apple cutting off Palm acess, Palm not providing an alternative, and Apple forcing you to update iTunes to use new products. So, the users options for iTunes is 1) never update it or 2) find a sync program that pulls from iTunes. That's why people suggest alternatives.

Mine would be MM. It also syncs well in USB mode without the iTunes ABCD folder hierarchy - just have to know how to set up where to drop music to.
    I just use iTunes smart playlist feature to update my pre playlist everytime I plug it in. Then Missing Sync just transfers the updated playlist changes everytime I backup my phone. It's all automatic after I plug in my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I still have the old version of iTunes that plays nicely with my pre haha
    Same with me. I got tired of downloading the 90+ MB iTunes updates that didn't do anything for me anyway. All I need it for is my iPod and my Pre, so I don't need the latest version to get the new features I don't use.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    If I remember correctly Windows Media Player didn't sync the album art at one time. Is this still the case?

I use WMP all the time on my PC and much prefer it, but I still have iBloat...I mean iTunes...installed simply to sync to my Pre. I would love to use WMP 100% (used MonkeyMedia and found the interface way too busy for my taste).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12