Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I just started with a new employer. We use Microsoft Exchange at work. I called the IT department to ask for the Microsoft EAS setup info but they said that they don't have it.

Is there a way or a software I can to find out what those setting are so that I can check my company email using my Palm Pre?

Appreciate your insights in advance!
    if you know someone that has an Iphone setup at work you can use the same settings. If you use OWA the server you type in to get to OWA is the server address for my company.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'm a Gmail user and through some trial and error learned how to set up a rule in Outlook to forward messages from the company's mail server to my Gmail account in addition to delivering them to my Outlook inbox. It works so well that I no longer use Outlook at all, even when I'm in the office. (I need to change the rule, actually, to prevent delivery to the Outlook inbox since that requires me to go in and clean it up every once in a while) I don't have the procedure to set up the rule with me...I can follow up with that later. I found that more convenient than wrangling with IT for the credentials, set up info, etc.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkgnyc View Post
    I just started with a new employer. We use Microsoft Exchange at work. I called the IT department to ask for the Microsoft EAS setup info but they said that they don't have it.

Is there a way or a software I can to find out what those setting are so that I can check my company email using my Palm Pre?

This is an issue with PALM, I've been round n round with them on it but I don't see any resolution to it in the near future. EAS is thier method of choice and they're not going to accomodate those of us who's companies either don't support it or won't release the settings due to security reasons.

Irritates me to no end, you'd think a so called "smartphone" would have all the options available. Even my POS Samsung Instinct had OWA access...
    Quote Originally Posted by hkgnyc View Post

Just because your company is running Exchange dosn't mean they are supporting EAS on mobile devices. Your post says "I called the IT department to ask for the Microsoft EAS setup info but they said that they don't have it." What do you mean? Do they not have that info for the Pre or in general?

If they do support EAS ask them to enable it for your account and we might be able to help you.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw_2112 View Post
    This is an issue with PALM, I've been round n round with them on it but I don't see any resolution to it in the near future. EAS is thier method of choice and they're not going to accomodate those of us who's companies either don't support it or won't release the settings due to security reasons.

Irritates me to no end, you'd think a so called "smartphone" would have all the options available. Even my POS Samsung Instinct had OWA access...
    It's not Palm's fault if your organization does not support EAS. It is a widely used technology in the corporate environment. webOS also supports IMAP/POP mail as well. What kind of e-mail support are you missing? Perhaps we can assist you?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    According to our IT guys...For mobile settings to work with EAS, there are a few things that have to be in place. The IT department must be running MS Exchange 2007 (service pack 2) or later... they must have the mobile package installed, and they have to have the rights turned on. If they haven't done one of these, they won't be set up for mobile device support on EAS.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/02/2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ...The IT department must be running MS Exchange 2007 (service pack 2) or later...
    I can report that Exchange 2003/SP2 works as well.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    find out if anyone uses a windows mobile or iPhone to access exchange. if so, you can use their settings as a starting point. If they don't, you are probably out of luck. That was mu situation until they were forced to start supporting iPhones. Once I grabbed that certificate and a few settings, I was all set.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Just because your company is running Exchange dosn't mean they are supporting EAS on mobile devices. Your post says "I called the IT department to ask for the Microsoft EAS setup info but they said that they don't have it." What do you mean? Do they not have that info for the Pre or in general?

If they do support EAS ask them to enable it for your account and we might be able to help you.
    Exactly. This is why you don't want to ask a technical and specific question like "do you have the EAS settings"... ask if anyone is using an iPhone or WinMo phone to access Exchange from outside the firewall (i.e. field users).
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I can report that Exchange 2003/SP2 works as well.
    Cool! I just got that info from our IT guy - perhaps he meant 2003? I can check again unless there's another IT person on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Cool! I just got that info from our IT guy - perhaps he meant 2003? I can check again unless there's another IT person on here.
    I'm administrating a 2003sp2 server for a client with webOS EAS users...confirmed.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It's not Palm's fault if your organization does not support EAS. It is a widely used technology in the corporate environment. webOS also supports IMAP/POP mail as well. What kind of e-mail support are you missing? Perhaps we can assist you?
    my Company (DoD contractor) doesn't support EAS for security reasons. However I could setup my Instinct to get email pushed from OWA, the PRE does not have that functionality. I'm not certain what the difference in protocols is, I'm not a Tech, I just know that every phone I've had before I could get company email pushed to my phone with no problems...
    Thanks ryley - didn't realize you were IT! Thanks for confirming!
    my Company (DoD contractor) doesn't support EAS for security reasons. However I could setup my Instinct to get email pushed from OWA, the PRE does not have that functionality. I'm not certain what the difference in protocols is, I'm not a Tech, I just know that every phone I've had before I could get company email pushed to my phone with no problems...
    However I could setup my Instinct to get email pushed from OWA

I'm not handy with the Instinct so I can't really comment. What was it doing exactly? Perhaps it was simply logging into OWA for you and downloading the results? If so that sounds like a "legacy" work around....given the wide acceptance of EAS these days...I'm just speculating.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    However I could setup my Instinct to get email pushed from OWA

I'm not handy with the Instinct so I can't really comment. What was it doing exactly? Perhaps it was simply logging into OWA for you and downloading the results? If so that sounds like a "legacy" work around....given the wide acceptance of EAS these days...I'm just speculating.
    Like I said I'm not a tech so I don't know specifics. I do know that my Instinct would sync email, contacts and calendar. I set it up on my wifes Samsung Exclaim recently as a test with no problems...
    Like I said I'm not a tech so I don't know specifics. I do know that my Instinct would sync email, contacts and calendar. I set it up on my wifes Samsung Exclaim recently as a test with no problems...
    My assumption is that these (messaging phones) are basically running some kind of e-mail application which is utilizing OWA access to give you a EAS like experience. Just a guess.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    does OWA support pushing messages?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    My assumption is that these (messaging phones) are basically running some kind of e-mail application which is utilizing OWA access to give you a EAS like experience. Just a guess.
    it seems to be a simple application regardless, it seems to be common on all phones, why not the PRE? I'm sure a patch would be a simple thing. I know we're not the only ones experiencing this difficulty, there are numerous threads with people searching for the answer..
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    does OWA support pushing messages?
    Yes..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast