Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw_2112 View Post
    it seems to be a simple application regardless, it seems to be common on all phones, why not the PRE? I'm sure a patch would be a simple thing. I know we're not the only ones experiencing this difficulty, there are numerous threads with people searching for the answer..
    I'm not aware of any Smartphone that supports OWA access to e-mail (perhaps I'm ignorant?).
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    i run our IT dept. our emails been able to be retrieved from windows mobile, old palmOS, android, iphone & now my pre. no issues at all. you have to do manual setup on the pre but it works just fine.
    running SBS2003
    it seems to be a simple application regardless, it seems to be common on all phones, why not the PRE? I'm sure a patch would be a simple thing. I know we're not the only ones experiencing this difficulty, there are numerous threads with people searching for the answer..
    Perhaps the OWA setup is just using that to configure a IMAP/SMTP setup? You need to talk to your IT group about this.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    does OWA support pushing messages?
    As in tit for tat with EAS...nope. And not in any other way I know of.

My guess is that these "other" phones are pulling rather then pushing....but I'm just guessing.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    did the old "active sync" work with OWA? I was thinking like you are that it was web-only access. The way I solved the issue with EAS was to find the URL that iPhone users were going to in their email client. I hit that URL with the Pre browser and accepted the certificate. At that point, I just had to plug in the same exchange settings the iphone and winmo users have, and it worked like a champ. We don't use OWA so getting EAS to work was a truly great day for me.

I think the OP really needs to know what those other phones are connecting to from their email client or if there is something like activesync in the mix
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Perhaps the OWA setup is just using that to configure a IMAP/SMTP setup? You need to talk to your IT group about this.
    I have all the settings necessary, my company IT group doesn't care unless it's a BB or iPhone. The PRE simply doesn't work that way.

For my Instinct all I needed was the URL, domain\username and password. That's it.. I've tried setting it up multiple ways, POP, IMAP, EAS etc.. and nothing works..
    if you have the URL, open it in your browser and see if it gives you a certificate. if it does, accept it and then add your exchange account to the phone. That's what worked for me.
    I have all the settings necessary, my company IT group doesn't care unless it's a BB or iPhone. The PRE simply doesn't work that way.

For my Instinct all I needed was the URL, domain\username and password. That's it.. I've tried setting it up multiple ways, POP, IMAP, EAS etc.. and nothing works..
    Given that they support iPhone that tells us that in all likelihood EAS is supported (but they may only let it work if iPhone is detected) and/or IMAP/POP is active as well.

However assuming EAS is locked down and IMAP/POP isn't open to you....this is the end of the road. If your place of employment is DoD then you are not going to "get around" security measures very easily I would assume.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    There's a whole lot of possibilities that can keep your pre/phone from working with OWA.

I just setup a sbs2008 and once it was up (sharepoint working and such) it was just a matter of determining what port was being used to deal with EAS requests. in my case it was the stock 443 aka https://mailserver. of course prior to this I visited the OWA address and installed the cert to allow proper security/function of exchange.

It could simply mean that there is a policy that will not allow you to carry company data around in your phone, since its technically their property.

I say get the admin some lunch lol GL
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I set up my work email on my phone using the OWA address my company gives out to all employees. My company's OWA address is formated like: https://mail.xxxxxxx.com/owa (xxxxxxxx is specific to your company)

These are the setting I used:

Mail Type: Exchange(EAS)

Email Address: my work email address

Incoming mail Server: https://mail.xxxxxxxx.com (same as owa address but leave off /owa)
    Domain: If your OWA site requires a domain before your username to login put that here otherwise leave it blank
    Username: Self explanatory
    Password: Self explanatory

This worked great for me.
    ok, I am confused. My company just this weekend is going to Appriver hosted exchange. So our IT guy moved everything over and confirmed we have OWA access and our new email is sending and receiving. So his next step is to figure out how to get our phones synced. We were all using Pop 3 with Iphones and Pre's. We do not have active sync turned on YET (more money) but OWA is working. We can turn active sync on if need be.

I set all my email settings up on PRE with correct SMTP ports etc. No email flowed so I assume we must need activesync working. My delema is as follows:

All my contacts are in Google. Don't really use my Outlook as the main contact repository except for email addresses to be filled in for new email sent from work PC. So if we use Active sync, then I get all the old Outlook contacts dumped on to my PRE?
    I use google calendering and see my team's calender on PRE (very cool). Now I am being told this will be done via shared calenders for desktop. Again I assume active sync makes this work on PDA's. I am going to suggest to leave this via google for me?

So all I want is email flowing to phone like it did previously with POP 3. I guess I could reroute it through google (outlook gets CC to GMAI), and then view on PRE. When I respond it has my email address but does come from GMAIL (no big deal). Sorry for being wordy but comments appreciated. Question: Best way to get EMAIL without using Activesync since POP3 not an option anymore?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    if you have the URL, open it in your browser and see if it gives you a certificate. if it does, accept it and then add your exchange account to the phone. That's what worked for me.
    tried that and still does not work..
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Given that they support iPhone that tells us that in all likelihood EAS is supported (but they may only let it work if iPhone is detected) and/or IMAP/POP is active as well.

However assuming EAS is locked down and IMAP/POP isn't open to you....this is the end of the road. If your place of employment is DoD then you are not going to "get around" security measures very easily I would assume.
    EAS is support for iPhone only, you have to contact the IT Dept and get permission to use it.

I'm a commercial contractor, DoD limitations do not apply.

As far as IMAP/POP goes I'm uncertain of the protocols involved, I do know that I can get my Company email pushed to other phones that have OWA supported, so is it really closed to me?
    ...I do know that I can get my Company email pushed to other phones that have OWA supported, so is it really closed to me?
    It would seem that it is closed to you. The webOS e-mail application has no capability to support e-mail via OWA.

<<Thread Moved/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It would seem that it is closed to you. The webOS e-mail application has no capability to support e-mail via OWA.

<<Thread Moved/Renamed>>
    yeah, pretty much determined that already lol!

but that begs the question, is there a 3rd party app that will do the job?
    ......is there a 3rd party app that will do the job?
    Nope. I suspect there can't be (a good one) until Palm opens up some API doors to such things. That said, based on my experience as an e-mail admin, there isn't a huge demand. Forward momentum is SmartPhone/EAS.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    yeah, pretty much determined that already lol!

but that begs the question, is there a 3rd party app that will do the job?
    Sure, the web browser.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceNC View Post
    I'm a Gmail user and through some trial and error learned how to set up a rule in Outlook to forward messages from the company's mail server to my Gmail account in addition to delivering them to my Outlook inbox. It works so well that I no longer use Outlook at all, even when I'm in the office. (I need to change the rule, actually, to prevent delivery to the Outlook inbox since that requires me to go in and clean it up every once in a while) I don't have the procedure to set up the rule with me...I can follow up with that later. I found that more convenient than wrangling with IT for the credentials, set up info, etc.
    Forwarding all company e-mail to a personal e-mail is a no-no and could get you fired. Just an FYI...
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Sure, the web browser.
    He was looking for a web browserless solution it seems.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    On WM6 I was using Seven beta to do connect to OWA I would love for it to work for webOS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast