1.    #1  
    Ouch.

I just learned this the hard way clicking around on our new webmail interface with the company. Long story short, I just lost everything on my phone.

So,
    If you are using your personal phone for access to corporate email, be advised: EAS CAN REMOTE WIPE YOUR PHONE! Total wipe, as in I'm now sitting at the "English Espanol" screen.

Now knowing this, I'm definitely not going to be syncing with EAS anywhere ever again. I really don't want some admin accidentally, or otherwise being able to muck with my stuff. Whod'a thunk that having an email account would let a full erase of your phone occur!

Hope this post helps somebody else avoid the problem.

I assume that I'll be ok to just sign in to my palm profile again? Has anybody else gone through a full wipe before?
    : (){:|:&};:
    That option has always been there even with my 755p. Under options
    Mobile Devices
    Manage your mobile devices here.

You can remove devices that you are no longer using. If you forget your device password, you can access it here. If you lose your phone or mobile device, you can initiate a remote device wipe to protect your information.

To add a new device, begin a partnership with Microsoft Exchange from the device and it will appear in the list below.

Remove Device from List... Wipe All Data from Device... Display Recovery Password Retrieve Log...

Device Last Sync Time Status
    Palm Mon 7/12/2010 9:52 AM OK
    First Sync on: Tue 1/26/2010 1:16 PM
    Last Successful Sync: Mon 7/12/2010 9:52 AM
    Device ID: P
    User Agent: Palm/1.0.1
    Palm Tue 6/1/2010 9:39 PM OK
    First Sync on: Sat 4/10/2010 8:27 AM
    Last Successful Sync: Tue 6/1/2010 9:39 PM
    Device ID: PALM27
    Palm Sun 3/7/2010 7:08 PM OK
    Last Successful Sync: Sun 3/7/2010 7:08 PM
    Device ID:
    Palm Sat 1/9/2010 12:14 PM OK
    Last Successful Sync: Sat 1/9/2010 12:14 PM
    Device ID:
    Palm Mon 12/7/2009 2:26 PM OK
    Last Successful Sync: Mon 12/7/2009 2:26 PM
    Device ID:
    Palm Thu 11/26/2009 11:45 PM OK
    Last Successful Sync: Thu 11/26/2009 11:45 PM
    Device ID: PALM
    Palm Mon 9/28/2009 10:33 PM OK
    Last Successful Sync: Mon 9/28/2009 10:33 PM
    Device ID:
    Palm Fri 7/3/2009 1:49 AM OK
    Last Successful Sync: Fri 7/3/2009 1:49 AM
    Device ID: PALM46
    PalmOneTreoAce Sat 6/6/2009 7:56 AM OK
    Without it, our IT people would never approve the phone for access to the EAS.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Without it, our IT people would never approve the phone for access to the EAS.
    Ditto - this is a minimum requirement at most companies. It was added early to webOS after the Pre was launched.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    But I think you have to exhaust all of your password retries for it to happen.
    The end user can actually wipe the phone if needed.
    I'm confused, does this basically doctor your phone or does it clear your palm profile too? Does it affect your media partition as well?

If all it does is basically doctor your phone then it doesn't seem to big a deal to me, logging back in and getting everything back to how it was is pretty painless imo.
    I don't know I have nevere tried it. Have wanted to know that bad! :-)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I'm confused, does this basically doctor your phone or does it clear your palm profile too? Does it affect your media partition as well?

If all it does is basically doctor your phone then it doesn't seem to big a deal to me, logging back in and getting everything back to how it was is pretty painless imo.
    Media is gone, OS is intact, Apps are gone. Patches are intact. Palm profile stuff all came back down just fine. I'm not going to let it install anything at the moment, as I have no Wifi, and very poor signal here. It will all have to wait until tonight (I'm assuming my poor pre is gonna be getting hot with all the downloads).

So, I'm going to have to doctor to get to a patch-free state, and then re-install patches and such. Not sure if I'm still on uberkernel or not, since I have no way to check that at the moment.

Policy at work forbids connecting the phone to any computer, so I can't do anything with it until I get home.

If I were a 'normal' user, the only thing I would have lost would be game states (grrrr! I was on level 6 in bubble bash!!), DrPodder feeds, Newsroom feeds, Shoutcast stream configs, and pictures and such. A PITA to re-configure, but nothing of consequence lost. Google, Yahoo, etc. took care of my contacts and such (although, I'll have to re-do photos of people, since the ones sent to google are the tiny crap that WebOS uses for messaging, and not the full resolution contact picture).

I'm assuming that my /var/home/$user stuff is still ok, so I didn't lose anything too awfully important. Again, won't know until I'm able to connect the phone once I get home tonight.

What's irritating is this is *my* device, not a corporate device, and I just followed THEIR instructions for getting to my corporate email and such. There needs to be a huge "We can nuke your phone if you use EAS" message as part of all of that. Not blaming anyone but my own company (and my own stupiditiy with the "Hey, what's this button do?" in webmail :-) )

--g
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 07/12/2010 at 10:54 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Ok,

So, if you have patches and your phone gets remote-wiped, you definitely need to doctor. The patches are still on, but preware/wosqi don't know about them, so there is no way to remove them. I'd guess that the original file info is gone anyway.

But, for normal use, the palm account restore worked pretty flawlessly. You just have to re-submit your password for each service, then remove the ones you don't use (like yahoo calendar). All my apps came back fine (no data, of course, so you'll lose game states, drpodder feed info, etc). Also, any custom ringtones or wallpapers you had will be gone, and the various webos pieces will then revert to 'vibrate' and the default wallpaper. If you are using self-signed certs, or certs signed by a CA webos doesn't know about, then you have to re-install those for mail to work again. You can either email them to yourself on an account that works (EAS, lol!), or install them manually.

All memos, contacts (google), calendars (google), and apps were restored without an issue.

I then had to re-install preware and my various patches. The only things I lost were some pictures, and custom linux code I wrote that I had failed to back up (my own fault).

HTH somebody :-)
    To Knobbysideup,

As others have said the remote wipe has been a feature of EAS, and Good as well as BES, for quite some time now. Without that feature others could potentially get your company's confidential info if you lost your phone or if your employment were unexpectedly terminated.

Where I work if we lose company data we have to report it to the Feds unless the device was 1) encrypted and 2) had the remote wipe command sent to it. We may be different than other companies but we do disclose that info and have our employees sign a use document regarding this after they're approved for mobile e-mail.

As to the note about the phone being yours, while that's very true the data that was on the phone was your employers. I don't mean to sound uncaring that you lost the info on your phone (that's never really a good thing) but speaking as someone who manages his employer's mail system I can attest to the need for that feature and the, hopefully rare, need to use it.