1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre for a few months now and I really really love it! The hardware could be a bit better (I'm concerned about the USB door breaking off from repeated use), but the OS is a joy to use.

I have a Mac and I'm looking for a way to wirelessly mount the internal Pre media section in the finder. I have an automator workflow that uses rsync to sync a selected iTunes playlist with any folder in the finder (http://m.lifehacker.com/5501992/middleman-syncs-virtually-any-device-with-itunes-on-a-mac)

I noticed that there's an SSH/SFTP application in Preware that may let me mount the filesystem, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas as to how to mount the filesystem, or otherwise sync wirelessly on a Mac.

Thanks for your help!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I use Linux & was able to use this info:
    FTP access to your Pre using FileZilla

It won't use the Mac Finder, but you CAN download FileZilla and use it just the same!!!
    I use this all the time to move files -it will work just fine for your music files!
    Last edited by licotto; 06/28/2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: creating a better URL link
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! That's a great guide, very straightforward
    btw, the best way to protect the screen from cracking (other than not dropping it) is to get a skin for it (like a zagg, skinomi, etc). they are made of material used to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades and military aircraft - which is to say it's REALLY strong. It actually ads to the stability of the plastic and will help to prevent cracks from starting or spreading...

Now, that little USB plug will probably come out eventually, but people have reported that Palm will send you another one if you lose it - at least while it's under warranty.

If you like using a case, or want to prevent any oreo as things loosen over time (like your flip phone did... moving parts get loose over time) I'd suggest that you look at the GRT case. It works with the touchstone, and it attaches to itself rather than gripping the edges of the phone. It has it's own sliding mechanism so the pre doesn't get any stress transfered to it when the slider is open...

I hope that helps with your hardware concerns
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  5.    #5  
    Workerb33, thanks for the hardware suggestions. I'll look into that GRT case, it looks pretty nifty.

Just following up with mounting the Pre on my Mac - I followed the guide that licotto posted and did all steps up until step 5. I wanted to mount the drive, so I used this app that I found called MacFusion, which lets lets you mount SFTP connections on your desktop.

You can use that id_rsa file as is; in the Finder use Command+Shift+G and type in /Users/yourusername/.ssh/ and drag and drop the id_rsa file to this folder.

Then add the SSH Identity to your keychain by opening Terminal and running this command: ssh-add -K

The permissions were too permissive on the id_rsa file on my system, so I used chmod on that file to change it to 600 permissions: chmod 600 /Users/yourusername/.ssh/id_rsa

Now I'm able to copy files back and forth without plugging in my Pre... and Middleman works great... VERY COOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by skealoha86 View Post
    Then add the SSH Identity to your keychain by opening Terminal and running this command: ssh-add -K

The permissions were too permissive on the id_rsa file on my system, so I used chmod on that file to change it to 600 permissions: chmod 600 /Users/yourusername/.ssh/id_rsa

Now I'm able to copy files back and forth without plugging in my Pre... and Middleman works great... VERY COOL!
    Got everything up to this point. I can mount the pre via Cyberduck using id_rsa file in the .ssh folder. But just can't get Macfusion to works.

Pasted the first line of code ssh-add -K in Terminal and told me the permission were permissive and rejected then I pasted the 2nd line of code, it returns with nothing. Pasting the first piece of code again no message.
    Am I missing anything?

thanks
  7.    #7  
    Hey there idiotboxxer!

Sorry for the bad forum etiquette in the long delay in response -

Here's some troubleshooting I've done with MacFusion that may help you out.

First off, there's a useful Log feature in MacFusion - when you have the Palm Pre configuration selected in the list, press Command-L and a log screen will pop-up. If you can't mount the drive, this log will tell you why.

I have Snow Leopard, and apparently the sshnodelay.so plugin couldn't load, which was causing my Pre not to mount... running this command in Terminal renames sshnodelay.so to sshnodelay.so.bak which causes MacFusion to skip over the plugin and continue to mount:

mv /Applications/Macfusion.app/Contents/PlugIns/sshfs.mfplugin/Contents/Resources/sshnodelay.so /Applications/Macfusion.app/Contents/PlugIns/sshfs.mfplugin/Contents/Resources/sshnodelay.so.bak

After running this, I was able to mount my Pre.

In addition to this, check the Preferences for MacFusion and extend the Mount Timeout to something greater than 5 seconds if you're having issues mounting - I have mine set to 20 seconds.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by skealoha86; 07/28/2010 at 12:35 AM.