Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I need some advice. After waiting for over a year for a WebOS phone to come to ATT, I finally got a Pixi on June 16. Knowing that I only use the web occasionally, I went with the 200 MB per month plan for $15. This should be PLENTY for me. After about a week, I checked my ATT data usage and saw that I was already over 65 MB used, in only about 8 days, and I hadn't done very much online activity at all. So, I decided to run a test.

(My contacts are all contained in my Yahoo email, my calendar is synced with Google calendar.)

First, on Thursday, I turned all of my emails notification to "manual", so they wouldn't be using any activity. Then, on Friday, I refused to use my phone for anything other than phone, unless forced to. Fortunately, it was a very light day and no one texted me! Finally, I didn't open any application, other than phone, not even my calendar. On my PC, I made NO changes to my calendar, which would then be sent to my phone.

Saturday morning, I checked my data usage again, and found that over 4.2 MB of info was sent, in 11 different chunks, from my phone (none received) in that 24 hour period! Are you kidding me? I made no changes to any part of my profile, and it took another 4 MB of data to back up my info to Palm??? If that's the case, about 70% of my data plan is being spent by the stuff going on in the background, which is preposterous.

My question is this:

Should I disable my Palm Profile, so it stops backing up things to their cloud? I have no paid apps on the phone as of yet, and really don't see myself doing very many of them in the future. I know I could pay another $10 per month for the 2GB plan, but it pains me to spend $120 per year because Palm (not ATT) is hogging my data plan with these backups.

Any info/suggestions you can provide is greatly appreciated. TIA
    tim
    Do you live or work in a wifi enabled area? Simply keeping your Wifi switched on all the time could solve this.

I must admit I would hate to turn off backups and calendar/contacts sync on my phone - without a fully supported backup-to-PC method available it's pretty risky. You couldn't buy any apps, couldn't add any contacts, couldn't make any changes to your calendar, tasks or memo pad...

I must admit my own personal options would be to either pay for more data allowance or to try and surround myself with Wifi.

I do believe Palm should offer a fully supported backup-to-PC solution to cater for people just like you.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Do you live or work in a wifi enabled area? Simply keeping your Wifi switched on all the time could solve this.

I must admit I would hate to turn off backups and calendar/contacts sync on my phone - without a fully supported backup-to-PC method available it's pretty risky. You couldn't buy any apps, couldn't add any contacts, couldn't make any changes to your calendar, tasks or memo pad...

I must admit my own personal options would be to either pay for more data allowance or to try and surround myself with Wifi.

I do believe Palm should offer a fully supported backup-to-PC solution to cater for people just like you.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

As for WiFi, I have it at work, but I am a teacher, so I won't see that for 3 months! At home, no, I don't have it; just wired DSL.

As for contacts, mine are pretty well set. I'm not going to be adding tons of new ones at this point in my life, but either way, I add them in Yahoo mail, they show up on my phone.

The calendar sync with Google has been really slick. No issues at all.

The only drawback I can really see is the app thing. If I do purchase them and my phone isn't backed up, they can be lost. But, is it worth $120 per year to insure that? At this point, I don't think so, but that's why I am asking the question. I just want to make sure there is not something else that I could be jeopardizing by turning this off.

Thanks again for your help!
    tim
    The Palm Profile saves a bit of stuff. Which free apps you have downloaded, where they are located on the launcher scree, even any names and the number of pages you have on the device (helpful for people like myself who've used patches to change names and add pages). To erase it would be to have to start completely over whenever you had a new phone.

I would get the extra data and really, AT&T are the people who limited your data by getting rid of the unlimited plan and trying to get you to think you can subsist on 200MB and only use your phone when you're in wifi range. From this post you've described you've intentionally let go of many of the advantages of the Pre - calendar sync, email sync, the palm backup, and are using it as a super dumphone. What happens if you need GPS service, never mind the many apps available for the Pre that use data? 4.2MB isn't that much...I've got songs longer than that. It comes out to around 120MB a month, though, and I think at that point you need to make a choice between the phone and the data plan, rather than stuffing the phone on a data plan it doesn't fit.

You could also get a wireless router for your home? They are certainly cheaper than the $120 a year.
    Last edited by malpha; 06/26/2010 at 10:50 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    ...From this post you've described you've intentionally let go of many of the advantages of the Pre - calendar sync, email sync, the palm backup, and are using it as a super dumphone. What happens if you need GPS service, never mind the many apps available for the Pre that use data? 4.2MB isn't that much...I've got songs longer than that. It comes out to around 120MB a month, though, and I think at that point you need to make a choice between the phone and the data plan, rather than stuffing the phone on a data plan it doesn't fit.

You could also get a wireless router for your home? They are certainly cheaper than the $120 a year.
    Yes, I did use it as a dumbphone, but only for a day. I just wanted to see what data was used. I still have calendar sync, email notifications, etc.

I am confused about the GPS services. How does turning off my Palm Profile affect that? And, if it does, that was EXACTLY why I asked the question that I did. I want to know what ALL of the ramifications are.

Thanks for the feedback.

PS- I may just go with the wifi route. Most of the data backup was happening while I was home, anyway!
    tim
    What I meant with GPS was simply that it's going to cut into your data use with any application you use it with - such as Nav. Personally, I couldn't stand metering myself to such an extreme.

I have wifi at home and my usage is typically around 400-500mb. According to netstat I've used 882mb on wifi and 288mb on Sprint these past 13 days. But I also blast streaming services and surf a lot when I'm out, and I live in an area where wireless hotspots are scarce. So, if you were to be in wifi most of the day, I think you couuuuld do the 200mb. That would be my suggestion rather than turning off the Profile and really metering your app usage.

If you use the memo app for some reason, the profile also stores your memos. It remebers your settings - such as ringtones, retrieval settings, alerts, and the like. It makes it easier when doctoring the phone. Also, there are some great paid apps in the catalog and you may decide you want one. ^_^
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I keep my 3G radio off whenever possible, and rely on Wi-fi when available. (Both at home and at work. I'd suggest getting a wireless capable router for your DSL at home.)

I don't do this to limit data, I do it to save massive amounts of battery life, which this handily accomplishes. Therefore, I am not shy if I'm walking or driving somewhere and need some data, I just turn it on.

With that amount of usage, I run right around 200mb a month. (I'm at 118 right now, due again on the 1st.) I am assuming here that data downloaded over wifi is unmetered and would not count on the monthly cap. I'm certain I use way more than 200mb on various wifi networks.

I'd say I'm a middle to above average heavy user. It's with me all day and I use my phone quite a bit. Also, I should point out that I use google, yahoo, and exchange for all my calendars, contacts and email, and all I rely on the palm profile for is remembering which apps I've bought. (I don't trust the profile, nor do I like it's inability to easily transfer/export. I try not to use it.)

Anyways, some months it's a little over, some times barely under. If I had to stick to 200mb each month, I could do it, but I'd have to watch it like a hawk.

p.s. how do you toggle your data usage, you may ask? There's an app for that!
    your frustration with palm is misguided. The phone was designed to be used with generous data plans. It was marketed for its ability to stay in tune with whats going on in the cloud. You wanted Synergy and you got it. the fact is, palm users knew what the phone would be doing in the background since day 1.

it's att who went a stirred the pot and started making changes to their plans, and thats the ONLY reason your feeling this pain. If you didnt want a phone that stays connected you've come to the wrong place.

that said, i can think of a few solutions to your problem. Do your backups manually once a day, while your on wifi or turn completely turn of your data when you aren't using it.

i do think , however, that we should be able to turn of auto-backup with erasing our profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I need some advice. After waiting for over a year for a WebOS phone to come to ATT, I finally got a Pixi on June 16. Knowing that I only use the web occasionally, I went with the 200 MB per month plan for $15. This should be PLENTY for me. After about a week, I checked my ATT data usage and saw that I was already over 65 MB used, in only about 8 days, and I hadn't done very much online activity at all. So, I decided to run a test.

(My contacts are all contained in my Yahoo email, my calendar is synced with Google calendar.)

First, on Thursday, I turned all of my emails notification to "manual", so they wouldn't be using any activity. Then, on Friday, I refused to use my phone for anything other than phone, unless forced to. Fortunately, it was a very light day and no one texted me! Finally, I didn't open any application, other than phone, not even my calendar. On my PC, I made NO changes to my calendar, which would then be sent to my phone.

Saturday morning, I checked my data usage again, and found that over 4.2 MB of info was sent, in 11 different chunks, from my phone (none received) in that 24 hour period! Are you kidding me? I made no changes to any part of my profile, and it took another 4 MB of data to back up my info to Palm??? If that's the case, about 70% of my data plan is being spent by the stuff going on in the background, which is preposterous.

My question is this:

Should I disable my Palm Profile, so it stops backing up things to their cloud? I have no paid apps on the phone as of yet, and really don't see myself doing very many of them in the future. I know I could pay another $10 per month for the 2GB plan, but it pains me to spend $120 per year because Palm (not ATT) is hogging my data plan with these backups.

Any info/suggestions you can provide is greatly appreciated. TIA
    just curious, why did you want a pixi if you're not planning on using it for what it can do? why not just get a nokia or something?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    just curious, why did you want a pixi if you're not planning on using it for what it can do? why not just get a nokia or something?
    I think you completely misunderstand my problem AS DESCRIBED. I do want to use all of the great features of the phone; in fact, that's what I am doing. My problem is that I am spending 70% of my (admittedly small) data plan on Palm doing their background syncing, which for me seems irrelevant, as my contacts are all with Yahoo and my Calendar with Google.

I will never be that guy who has to be connected to the world 100% of the time; I teach in a computer lab all day and I preach to my students to be careful of how addicted they can become to their devices, electronic or otherwise. I simply want to get my emails, occasionally look up info on the web, etc. Waaaaaaaaaay under 200 MB/month. Unfortunately, it looks as though that won't be enough, unless I do the WiFi thing at home, which looks like the best option so far.
    tim
    well, the pixi is still an amazing phone...
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    that said, i can think of a few solutions to your problem. Do your backups manually once a day, while your on wifi or turn completely turn of your data when you aren't using it.
    How do I do this? If I turn off auto backups, it says it will erase my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i do think , however, that we should be able to turn of auto-backup with erasing our profiles.
    I assume you meant "without" erasing our profiles.(?) I agree, but it doesn't look as though that will work.
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    I keep my 3G radio off whenever possible, and rely on Wi-fi when available. (Both at home and at work. I'd suggest getting a wireless capable router for your DSL at home.)
    With that amount of usage, I run right around 200mb a month. (I'm at 118 right now, due again on the 1st.) I am assuming here that data downloaded over wifi is unmetered and would not count on the monthly cap. I'm certain I use way more than 200mb on various wifi networks.

I'd say I'm a middle to above average heavy user. It's with me all day and I use my phone quite a bit. Also, I should point out that I use google, yahoo, and exchange for all my calendars, contacts and email, and all I rely on the palm profile for is remembering which apps I've bought. (I don't trust the profile, nor do I like it's inability to easily transfer/export. I try not to use it.)

Anyways, some months it's a little over, some times barely under. If I had to stick to 200mb each month, I could do it, but I'd have to watch it like a hawk.

p.s. how do you toggle your data usage, you may ask? There's an app for that!
    Thanks, neve. I just downloaded it. When I get my WiFi up and running, I will probably do this. As I am a much less power-user, I shouldn't have any trouble staying under the limit.

Here's something really strange, though. As I was looking at the "backup" application (to see how to turn it on and off), it said my last backup was on Thursday, June 24, at 10:02PM. All of this 4.2 MB that I have been talking about occurred on Friday, June 25th! If this wasn't backup info heading to Palm, and I wasn't using any part of the phone, what the heck was it??? As a matter of fact, I looked at my data usage on ATT and there is NO listing for the 24th at 10PM, or anywhere near there! There was a small one (23KB) at 8:59 PM and a large one (2184 KB) the next morning at 2:24AM.

This is playing with my head!
    tim
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Try turning your GPS off as it probably uses some data to assist the positioning.

Im using wifi both at home and work and use between 100-250mb cellular data a month. Sync 5 email accounts each hour.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Try turning your GPS off as it probably uses some data to assist the positioning.

Im using wifi both at home and work and use between 100-250mb cellular data a month. Sync 5 email accounts each hour.
    Thanks! I'll try this, also.
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I think you completely misunderstand my problem AS DESCRIBED. I do want to use all of the great features of the phone; in fact, that's what I am doing. My problem is that I am spending 70% of my (admittedly small) data plan on Palm doing their background syncing, which for me seems irrelevant, as my contacts are all with Yahoo and my Calendar with Google.

I will never be that guy who has to be connected to the world 100% of the time; I teach in a computer lab all day and I preach to my students to be careful of how addicted they can become to their devices, electronic or otherwise. I simply want to get my emails, occasionally look up info on the web, etc. Waaaaaaaaaay under 200 MB/month. Unfortunately, it looks as though that won't be enough, unless I do the WiFi thing at home, which looks like the best option so far.
    I see what you mean, you still need more than 200mb/month though, just try to only use home wifi or public wifi when out. like others say, it will minimize your data usage if you make all of your services that you are able to adjust off until you need to use.
    I'm sure you'll be able to find your "butter zone". isn't their apps out that help you track your usage stats?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    When I got to thinking about the wireless router that a few of you have suggested for my home, something stuck in my mind from about 3 years ago, when I had to replace my DSL modem, after the first one died. The salesperson mentioned something about it having wireless built-in. I remember casually dismissing that, as I had already wired my home with cat5 cable, so I wouldn't need that.(!) When I looked up the model number, sure enough, it's built in to it. I dug into the settings this AM, turned on the security I wanted, connected my Pixi, and immediately connected to the network. I then performed a manual backup, just to see if it was really working, and it went through in about 60 seconds. All this while my EVDO network was toggled off. (nice freebie, neve!)

Thanks to all of you who have tried so hard to help this noob. It is truly appreciated!!!

t
    tim