1.    #1  
    I just bought a Palm Pre Plus & I'm trying to sync it with My MS Outlook contacts and calendar.

I'm not sure what I need to do - do I need to download software first & then plug it in. If someone could direct me to the right place that would be great.

Also, I use gmail as my main email account but I don't want to have it set up as an IMAP account - I never delete any emails from my online mailbox, but I need to download email messages to both my MS Outlook and my Pre and delete them independently of each other. This is what I did with my Blackberry. Is this possible?

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    Or should I really move everything to my gmail account online?
    Palm has assumed you want to sync with "the cloud"...which is Google, Yahoo, etc.

It also has the ability to sync directly with an Exchange server if you have that available to you.

If you like the old Palm method, you will need to buy either CompanionLink or Pocket Mirror. Both cost too much but are well worth it to those wanting to continue to sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop.

If you want to sync to Palm Desktop, I recommend CompanionLink. It sync over USB cable.

If you want to sync to Outlook, Companionlink is still an excellent choice. The advantage to Pocket Mirror is that it will sync over WiFi and/or Blue Tooth for a truly wireless experience.

If you plan to sync to Outlook or Palm Desktop, I found this guide to be a good method to follow so you don't end up syncing to your Palm Profile. Nothing wrong with the Palm Profile other than you can't easily export them if you ever need to move them to a non-Palm phone..

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html
  4.    #4  
    I'm considering switching from Outlook to a web-based solution, including IMAP for email. My one concern is that I never delete gmail messages online (so I can always trace my way backwards in time), but I don't want my Palm cluttered up with 2gb of email messages.
    If you are happy with gMail, then you should be fine. Gmail gives you the option to sync gMail with Outlook, or to export everything from Outlook to gMail on a one-time basis.

Personally, I don't like the way gMail threads emails so I'd be more inclined to use a different "cloud" service. But I use Pocket Mirror and sync only to Outlook, just like I've been doing with Palm devices for more than a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Palm has assumed you want to sync with "the cloud"...which is Google, Yahoo, etc.

It also has the ability to sync directly with an Exchange server if you have that available to you.

If you like the old Palm method, you will need to buy either CompanionLink or Pocket Mirror. Both cost too much but are well worth it to those wanting to continue to sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop.

If you want to sync to Palm Desktop, I recommend CompanionLink. It sync over USB cable.

If you want to sync to Outlook, Companionlink is still an excellent choice. The advantage to Pocket Mirror is that it will sync over WiFi and/or Blue Tooth for a truly wireless experience.

If you plan to sync to Outlook or Palm Desktop, I found this guide to be a good method to follow so you don't end up syncing to your Palm Profile. Nothing wrong with the Palm Profile other than you can't easily export them if you ever need to move them to a non-Palm phone..

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html
    I was thinking the same thing, Cantaffordit did a nice job on that thread - and of course the op should have a look at the Backup/Sync thread for even more information. Great stuff in the Precentral forums, the trick is to find what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    I'm considering switching from Outlook to a web-based solution, including IMAP for email. My one concern is that I never delete gmail messages online (so I can always trace my way backwards in time), but I don't want my Palm cluttered up with 2gb of email messages.
    You can set it to hold messages up to a certain date, like 1 day, 2 days, a week, a month, etc. You won't have problems having your Palm inbox cluttered.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    You can set it to hold messages up to a certain date, like 1 day, 2 days, a week, a month, etc. You won't have problems having your Palm inbox cluttered.

OK so what you're saying is the email will remain online (and in my desktop outlook which is fine), but not on my device? That would be ideal.

Also, let's assume for calendar and contacts I switch to using google online, that I can automatically sync with the Palm. Is there anyway to keep Outlook in the mix - have a 3-way sync going?