1.    #1  
    I have a Pre and my wife has a Pixi... we want to have a shared calendar setup for things like kid's activities, Dr. appointments, etc.

I was going to look at Google Calendar or Yahoo Calendar, as we both have accounts with them. I figured it would be wise to ask and see if someone else has done this first.

Any recommendations?
    I did this with Google Calendar for a group that I was the president of, so both I and other people on the admin could update it, while letting general body members of the group only view it.

When you or your wife creates a Google Calendar, you can choose to share this calendar with the other. After making the calendar, go to Settings and there will be an option to "Share" that calendar with another user. It would be best to use the address associated with your Google account for sharing purposes. You can choose the level of sharing (view, edit, create).

I personally would create a separate calendar from the one that serves as your "Default" calendar (the one with your name on it, typically is colored blue). Then I would share this new calendar. That way it's easier to keep things separate. For example, if you have work appts that the each other doesn't need to see, you don't have to see the work appts just to see the other appts. You create a calendar for the other appts. Just a bit of foresight in case you decide to use Google Calendar more extensively and create different calendars, then you don't have to go back and start moving stuff from your personal calendar to the other calendars. Or if you don't want to share those appts anymore, you don't have to revoke the ability to see other appts, too. Also in case you decide you want to share with others, like co-workers and the like, that way they only have access to viewing or modding certain appts.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    me and the wife do this. I found it easier for both to setup a google account but only one person do the calender.

So one creates all the calenders and then shares with the other. (make sure that you set it up that she has permission to edit events.

I have all these in my google account and just share all of them except one

Greg work
    Greg Personal
    Child 1
    child 2

Wife Work
    Wife personal
    Family Events
    Birthdays (not always an event)
    not shared (so i can put stuff in that she doesn't need to know about like meeting to buy her a huge ring. lol. or something.

What ever you do, Don't use Palm Profile, You can not edit on web, and you never know what's saved. Palm Profile is just for Apps.

I always suggest Bring your contacts over to Google as well

Hit the thanks button if I helped
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both very much for the insightful responses. Very helpful!
    I have done the same thing with shared calendars as above. I have taken it a step further on the computer side though. I gave up on Outlook and went to Mozilla Thunderbird (from the makers of Firefox). You can find several add-ons so that you can sync calendars with Google, and you can sync as many calendars as you want (unlike Outlook). Since it is synced with Google, it also syncs to my Pre as well as anyone who I'm sharing calendars with. I have also synced my contacts in a similar fashion (not shared though).

I'm one of those people who don't like to go to the Gmail website to look at emails and calendars. I like having a program that can run in the background for everything.
  6.    #6  
    Good info.

Both of us already have G accounts and all contacts sync'ed up.. I also use GVoice for my Pre's voicemail, so, we're pretty well connected into the Empire already. I also use T-Bird on my shop computer, so may have to check into that plugin.
    \
    Thanks!
    The two plugins I use in Thunderbird are Google Contacts and Provider for Google Calendar. My wife has her calendar with Google shared with me and I have my calendar, the bills calendar and the kids calendar on my Google shared with her. I'm pretty sure that we both have full rights to each others calendars because either of us can add events to any of the shared calendars. It's been working real good for us and we seem like we're both on the same page more as far as the schedule goes.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have a question I hope you guys can help me with. I set up a new gmail account for my son so my girlfriend and I can use it for emails for him and as a common calendar for us. When I create events on the computer they sync fine with both phones but she does not get the reminder notifications. When she changes events on her phone it does not update to mine and vise versa. Ideally I would like to have it so we can both create/edit events from our phones and they they update and remind both of us (so far the reminders have only worked for me.) Any advise?

Thanks in advance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBGood View Post
    I have a question I hope you guys can help me with. I set up a new gmail account for my son so my girlfriend and I can use it for emails for him and as a common calendar for us. When I create events on the computer they sync fine with both phones but she does not get the reminder notifications. When she changes events on her phone it does not update to mine and vise versa. Ideally I would like to have it so we can both create/edit events from our phones and they they update and remind both of us (so far the reminders have only worked for me.) Any advise?

Thanks in advance!!
    You do have the settings on the calendar set so that you and your girlfriend have permission to make changes, correct? Don't really know what else to suggest. It works for me and my family on the shared calendar.
  10.    #10  
    So far so good here... thanks again for the advice.

one thing I'm seeing is that reminders do not transfer across from phone-google-phone. If I create an event on my Pre and set a reminder, it sets a reminder notification on GCalendar, but that doesn't carry over to the wife's Pixi... anyone get this to work?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    COS777 - Yes we are both logged into the "common" gmail acct from each phone. So from my understanding Gmail should see us both as the "original" user...

DrHeathenScum - this is the exact problem I am having. It is kind of annoying and was hoping someone could help me with this problem as well... If you get it figured out please let me know or post here, I will do the same, lol.
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but this whole multiple-calendars thing - if you have several, how do you make sure you're not double-booking? I thought - at least for me - the whole idea of a calendar was to keep you organized and not over-scheduled. One glance and you know if that time is available - shared or not. (Rant alert - I just want one calendar with colored categories! )

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Google Calendar gives you similar to the old Palm Desktop style. The 'multiple calendars' are similar to categories.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBGood View Post
    Yes we are both logged into the "common" gmail acct from each phone. So from my understanding Gmail should see us both as the "original" user...
    I think we have them set up differently. I created a calendar on my email account and then shared it with my family and they access it from their own email account. Each phone is on a different email account. I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but you never know.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COS777 View Post
    I think we have them set up differently. I created a calendar on my email account and then shared it with my family and they access it from their own email account. Each phone is on a different email account. I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but you never know.
    Tried that at first as well and had same issue... Doh! Hate it when simple technology beats me.