Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The iTunes directory on the Pre is all messed up for regular use on a computer. I moved the files onto my PC and iTunes is able to read them and display all the right data within iTunes, but the files themselves have really weird directory and file names when viewing them in explorer.

Is there any way to correct the weird file format of the itunes directories and files?
    Yeah, handle all you're music transfers via USB mode.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Yeah, handle all you're music transfers via USB mode.
    Duhh...Are you trying to act like an ***** or are you serious?

I'm looking for an answer IF IT EXISTS. I've had my pre from the start and synced with itunes. This is the only music backup i've got.
    iTunes is the one at fault... it renames all files.. and relies on id3 tags... This is why i HATE iTunes and use mediamonkey... tired of file names getting BUTCHERED.

snipped from wiki

This functionality was added after third-party software was written which allowed users to copy all content back to their computer. It is also possible to copy from the iPod using ordinary Unix command line tools, or by enabling hidden file viewing in Windows Explorer, then copying music from the iPod drive to a local disk for backup. Doing this can be confusing because the files are arranged in such a way that their folders and (depending on iPod and iTunes versions) file names are seemingly picked at random as they are put on the iPod

oh yea... no way to correct it. unless you rename every single file and never use iTunes again... i wonder if there is an app that names files from iD3 tags.. i'm sure there is
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/10/2010 at 09:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thanks for the legit reply. I haven't synced with iTunes in months but really needed these files off of my Pre so I installed an old version. Looks like I'm counting my losses...oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdogokc View Post
    Duhh...Are you trying to act like an ***** or are you serious?

I'm looking for an answer IF IT EXISTS. I've had my pre from the start and synced with itunes. This is the only music backup i've got.
    Simply suggesting why use iTunes at all when you can copy directly through the usb mode with no other software required. If that makes me an ***** then I guess you got one on me.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Simply suggesting why use iTunes at all when you can copy directly through the usb mode with no other software required. If that makes me an ***** then I guess you got one on me.
    Sorry if I misunderstood you. I was asking if there was any way to "fix" the messed up files after iTunes messed them up. I thought you where being a smart a**