View Poll Results: Which software is best to Sync personal information from your Desktop to WebOS?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chapura's PocketMirror

    37 69.81%
  • Mark/Space's Missing Sync

    6 11.32%
  • Companion Link for Google

    10 18.87%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking to find the best way to continue using Outlook on my home computer and have it link my information to my Pre. This seemed much easier on Palm OS. I'm new with my Pre+ and I'm liking it so far, but I wish the PIM integration was better. Google only goes so far with its capabilities.

    I would like to have Tasks and Memos in sync with Outlook as well as contacts and calendar.

    I also use Outlook with an Exchange server at work. I want to have each of them communicating with the Pre and hopefully NOT mix my professional and personal information together.

    When I want to get my work Email from home, I tend to open a VPN and connect to my Exchange server.

    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Last edited by atremorer; 05/26/2010 at 07:47 PM.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

    Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
  2. #2  
    Pocket Mirror all the way.

    It syncs calendar AND tasks, AND memos.
  3.    #3  
    How does Pocket Mirror do in integrating into the built in WebOS contacts & calendar/Synergy? I know that Chapura built a new applications for Tasks & Memos. How are they?

    I used KeySuite on a couple of my Treos and though I liked the applications Chapura created, I missed the integration with other apps.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

    Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Pocket Mirror all the way.

    It syncs calendar AND tasks, AND memos.
    +1
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Pocket Mirror all the way.

    It syncs calendar AND tasks, AND memos.
    +1

    Not to mention it's searching capabilities.
  6. #6  
    I have been using Pocket Mirror on my Pre for some time now and I'm very happy with it. I've not had a single problem. Just be aware that you need a WIFI connection to do the sync
  7. #7  
    I've also been using Pocket Mirror for a few months now and have had no issues.
  8. #8  
    Love Pocketmirror! Works wireless! Has it's own Notes and Tasks that integrate into Outlook perfectly.

    Never used Missing Sync, but if you are interested in some Media Sync stuff, then go with that. It can do Photos and Music from what I understand. But you might need to hook it up with a USB cable (ugh).

    Tip: Make sure you set your Firewall to allow for Pocketmirror or you will have problems. At first, just to test it out, turn off your firewall (on the computer itself, since it will only sync via your IntRAnet, not through your router to the IntERnet).

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdixon14 View Post
    I have been using Pocket Mirror on my Pre for some time now and I'm very happy with it. I've not had a single problem. Just be aware that you need a WIFI connection to do the sync
    You say that like it's a problem!

    Most people have wireless in their house, and Missing Sync you need a cable.

    But I do agree that some people might think you can use the IntERnet, when you need to use your IntRAnet.

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  10. #10  
    wifi is a problem if you are on a public network and in many office situations. When you are on. A public wifi, each pc is on its own segment, so they can't see each other - as part of securing the network.

    the Pre and the PC have to be on the same segment or pocket mirror won't work over wifi. In that case I use blietooth, but it was a pain to set up and I haven't configured it since I replaced my pre to even remember the steps.

    so, wifi is great under the right circumstances. For others, bluetooth. USB works for everyone, but its soooo 2005...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    wifi is a problem if you are on a public network and in many office situations. When you are on. A public wifi, each pc is on its own segment, so they can't see each other - as part of securing the network.

    the Pre and the PC have to be on the same segment or pocket mirror won't work over wifi. In that case I use blietooth, but it was a pain to set up and I haven't configured it since I replaced my pre to even remember the steps.

    so, wifi is great under the right circumstances. For others, bluetooth. USB works for everyone, but its soooo 2005...
    Hence the word I used 'IntRAnet'! However, you are correct an IntRAnet could include different subnets within the IntRAnet.

    However, for home usage, I doubt very strongly that someone would have different subnets in their home.

    I guess I was only thinking about using Pocketmirror at home, not at your business, and using the company's network (IntRAnet).

    I'm sorry, I tend to see things from my point of view and usage. I use Pocketmirror from home. I have not worked in a cooperate environment in years.

    Most people doing this in an office environment would 99% of the time be using Microsoft's Enterprise Outlook, an Exchange Server (which probably would not work with Pocketmirror) and not a local Outlook setup.

    But that would be a perfect use of Pocketmirror as long as your IT staff doesn't go ape over this.

    Remember, you would have to alter your 'firewall' (on your computer) for this to work correctly.

    I know there are companies that don't turn on Microsoft's (or any other local Firewall) Firewall system since that is controlled by their routers on the cooperate network.

    Thanks for clarifying my usage of IntRAnet!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  12. #12  
    yep. I work from home, and over the corp vpn. They won't let me use EAS.

    I sync by wifi at home. When I travel, I have to sync via By, or the pocket router I keep in my bag.

    its just good for people to know that they can't use wifi to sync at starbucks or their hotel.

    not everyone that has been syncing their PDA with their desktop via usb/hotsync knows about subnets, etc.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep. I work from home, and over the corp vpn. They won't let me use EAS.

    I sync by wifi at home. When I travel, I have to sync via By, or the pocket router I keep in my bag.

    its just good for people to know that they can't use wifi to sync at starbucks or their hotel.

    not everyone that has been syncing their PDA with their desktop via usb/hotsync knows about subnets, etc.

    My main point was that Pocketmirror works wireless, and Missing Sync needs a cable!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Pocket Mirror all the way.

    It syncs calendar AND tasks, AND memos.
    +1

    Just as a disclaimer, I have not used Missing Sync.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    +1

    Just as a disclaimer, I have not used Missing Sync.
    Neither have I!

    I think there are some things you can do wireless, but have to pay extra.

    I think the media stuff you need the cable for however!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  16. #16  
    have you looked into gsyncit? i've been using it for months now and it syncs perfectly with outlook and the developer is accessible and responsive.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    have you looked into gsyncit? i've been using it for months now and it syncs perfectly with outlook and the developer is accessible and responsive.
    No I have not, is it in Palm's App Catalog?

    I doubt I will change at this point but will check it!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  18. #18  
    gSyncit is for synching with gmail... Doesn't Google already offer such a tool? The point of using Pocket Mirror or Companionlink is to sync to Outlook - without involving Google... IMHO
  19. #19  
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  20. #20  
    gsyncit does sync google to outlook. i use google on my pre and it's seemless. i never bother with google itself on my desktop. i just use my pre and outlook.

    no- it's not in the app catalog but is a desktop download. there is a free trial and it's only $14.99 to buy. it syncs calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. i've been very happy with it.

    http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/index.shtml
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions