View Poll Results: Which software is best to Sync personal information from your Desktop to WebOS?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chapura's PocketMirror

37 69.81%
  • Mark/Space's Missing Sync

6 11.32%
  • Companion Link for Google

10 18.87%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by atremorer View Post
    I'm looking to find the best way to continue using Outlook on my home computer and have it link my information to my Pre. This seemed much easier on Palm OS. I'm new with my Pre+ and I'm liking it so far, but I wish the PIM integration was better. Google only goes so far with its capabilities.

I would like to have Tasks and Memos in sync with Outlook as well as contacts and calendar.

I also use Outlook with an Exchange server at work. I want to have each of them communicating with the Pre and hopefully NOT mix my professional and personal information together.

When I want to get my work Email from home, I tend to open a VPN and connect to my Exchange server.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Pocket Mirror is a fantastic program. You should be able to keep your personal contacts in a separate outlook folder so you can use Pocket Mirror to sync with them, and use EAS to sync with your exchange server.
  2.    #42  
    I just installed a trial of gsyncit on my desktop. It limits how many contacts can sync, but it didn't limit calendar items sync and it seems to have worked perfectly.

I didn't set it to sync tasks to Google, because I don't know of any way to get the Pre to pull the tasks down from Google. However, I've set up an Outlook/Toodledo/Done! sync that works great.
    Chromatic Dragon - Home Page
    Done! is in the App catalogue.

With Evernote added to that, one can get everything in sync with Outlook pretty easily for a bit under $17. True, Evernote doesn't sync back into Outlook, but one can send Outlook notes into Evernote easily. Plus, it does a lot more. The downside is you have to connect to their servers; nothing lives on the device or your PC.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
  3.    #43  
    Oh, I forgot to add in my last message. gsyncit does let you select specific calendars and contacts folders to sync. It will also sync your Contact Categories in Outlook to Contact Groups in gmail.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

I have to say PocketMirror is the best. Very reliable sync, fantastic support, and you can now sync Public Folders.
    I am new to the forum as well as a new Pre Owner.....previous Treo 755P owner. Can I use Pocket Mirror and synce to my computer via bluetooth. I recently downloaded Echo and have been able to sync my PC with the phone.

Does the Pocket Mirror work in a similiar fashion?

Thanks

D
    yes, bluetooth or wifi
    Oh wow, my PocketMirror trial just replenished... I can now try out the new 3.0 features.. good job Chapura!
    Hey, has anyone else noticed while using PocketMirror that the calendar responds faster? I'm thinking it's because there are less online calendars to load, and that most (in my case) calendar entries are now local?

I've made several calendars in Outlook, basically 1 for each major category, then sync this up to the Pre. It looks strange in Outlook, but in the Pre it's great!
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Has anybody been using Echo to synch directly from Palm Desktop?
    I'm late to this discussion... long story short though, Are there any free alternatives? the touchscreen on my Pre is broken, I'm about to get an Evo. I want my contacts... this was ridiculously short sighted (or asinine) of Palm to do something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdixon14 View Post
    I have been using Pocket Mirror on my Pre for some time now and I'm very happy with it. I've not had a single problem. Just be aware that you need a WIFI connection to do the sync
    please excuse my ignorance, I'm trying out Pocket Mirror, but can't seem to figure out how to get my computer onto my phone's wifi, or vice versa. Can anyone tell me how? I'll buy you lunch!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I second the comments on Companion Link for Google! I sync my desktop computer (Palm Desktop using Agendus for Windows), my wife's desktop computer (Palm Desktop using Agendus for Windows), my Pre and my wife's Pixi all seamlessly and wirelessly. Any changes made to any of the above devices are relected on all the devices very quickly. This also affords me backups of all my data in Google, Palm Profile and locally on two machines. Quite painless and great customer support
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but, seeing as how I use my Pre/PIM similar to how I think user atremorer wants to, here goes:

I sync for both work and home accounts.
    -Work: Exchange/Outlook (not using ActiveSync)
    -Home: Google Calendar

Here's what I did -- am finding this solution to be a quite acceptable replacement for my Palm T|X + Palm Desktop + Hotsync from earlier (in some regards: this is better).

Desktop Client: Outlook 2007 (allows calendar overlays)
    Configuration: I have two profiles
    -1: All Accounts (Exchange is Default, Home.pst file is linked as a secondary)
    -2: Google Sync Account (Home.pst only, is default --> Outlook is fine with multiple profiles linking to the same .pst).

Sync Conduits are:
    -Chapura: Via 'All Accounts' Profile. This syncs my Exchange Calendar, Tasks, etc... with my Pre
    -Google Sync (between my PC and the Cloud / the Pre automatically syncs with the Cloud for the calendar): Via 'Google Sync Account' (Google Sync is only smart enough to use the default account of the currently selected Outlook profile -- FYI, there is a trick to making this work easily --> if anyone needs to know, please ask).

My only regrets with this process: I have to manually sync Google contacts. Also, because Google sync has no Tasks, I don't have a 'personal' task-list.

A note: Chapura 3.x and later allows you to customize sync nodes. For example, you can sync multiple calendars, etc.. I haven't tried this much, but, I suspect you could do everything this way and bypass Google if you wanted.

This is an overview -- if anybody is interested in more detail, shoot me a message.
  14. VTP
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Don't buy Pocket Mirror - paying that much money is simply unnecessary. Come to think of it, the other similar solutions are also unnecessarily pricey. Here's one man's cheap and very smooth solution:

CALENDAR: Use Google Calendar Sync. Once you've set things up, you don't ever have to log in to your Google Calendar, you're simply using it as a bridge between Outlook and your Pre. You set the sync tool to run at your chosen interval for Outlook to sync with the Google Calendar (mine is set to every 2 hours); your Pre takes care of the rest. Cost = $0.

CONTACTS: gSyncIt from daveswebsite.com. I can't say enough about this little program. Highly configurable, you can sync all four with it; I use it for Contacts and Notes. Your Outlook Contacts go into your Google Gmail Contacts, which again in turn syncs with your Pre. So again, you set it and forget it (set your chosen sync interval in the gSyncIt settings), simply use Google as a bridge, and never have to actually log in to Gmail. (BTW, Dave's customer support is exceptional.) Cost = $14.99.

TASKS: Get yourself a free Toodledo account, then get the great Toodledo Outlook Sync Tool from chromadrake.com (also free) - that will sync all of your Outlook Tasks with Toodledo, just set your automatic sync interval. Then install the terrific Done! app on your Pre, and you're syncing your Outlook Tasks with your Pre. Again, you'll never have to actually log in to Toodledo, you just set it and forget it. Cost: Toodledo account = $0. Toodledo Outlook Sync Tool = $0 (but I donated). Done! app for your Pre = $1.62 (at time I purchased it two weeks ago). Total cost so far: $16.61.

NOTES: gSyncIt will sync your Outlook notes to Google Docs, at your chosen automatic interval. Then, get the Notes app by Inglorious Apps, which was $2.50 at time of my purchase two weeks ago. The Notes app has the very nice feature of being password-locked at startup - so even if you don't set a PIN on your Pre when you're out and about, you can still keep your sensitive information secure. You can set categories to mirror your Outlook Notes categories. Not as automatic in its syncing as the other 3, there is some minor manual updating you need to do when changes are made on the Outlook end rather than on your Pre, but very minor. Cost = $2.50. Total cost: $19.11.

So, by comparison, you can choose to pay Chapura $39.95, or invest a little brainpower and pay $19.11, less than half as much, and be syncing wirelessly through the cloud - no sync cables or WiFi connections required. If I can save just one fellow Palm user from unnecessarily paying their money to Chapura, while at the same time supporting small developers like those who have created gSyncIt, Done!, Notes, and the Toodledo Outlook Sync Tool, this post will have been worth it!
    I'm still trying to find a good solution for Mac/Pre/Palm Desktop.

I originally went with the Pre built-in features. Huge mistake. The tool provided ended up creating duplicates of all calendar entries and contacts, and the calendar was so slow I couldn't open it in under a minute. Palm said this was because I had 10 years of data. Note - PalmOS could restore and open faster than I could open the calendar in the Pre. Calendar has since been fixed to be faster, but I haven't tested the desktop migration tool since then.

I eventually used Google to sync my contacts and calendar, after exporting them from the Palm desktop into Mac iCal/address book, then setting up iCal/address book to sync. This works great, except you lose the photos, and you don't have the automatic sync to Palm desktop. I think I can use other solutions to directly sync Mac Palm Desktop to Google.

Finally, I went with Missing Sync. This app does a GREAT job for music/photos, ok with contacts, and is one of the worst I've ever tried for calendar. The contacts will have the email address mangled in some situations (all punctuation removed, so no @, ., etc.). The calendar takes over 2 hours to sync the first time, even with it set to override. You actually see it sending the items one by one, and each takes roughly a second. Then, after a week or two, it gives you an error, and the only way to get it to work again is to uninstall from the Pre, uninstall from the desktop, resync, and wait for it to break again. I've opened several support tickets with them, and never seem to get a real answer.

I'm really, really hoping HP resurrects the Palm Desktop, or, if they don't, they put ALL the desktop features into the cloud. I'm fine with the people who believe in the cloud philosophy, but for them to win the argument, basic features and functionality have to at least be as good as the previous solution.

What is good, for the old PalmOS users, is Classic. That syncs great, even over wifi/bluetooth. I haven't used their Mac solution (bought Missing Sync for Pre, rather than PalmOS), but you can use Missing Sync for Palm OS on the Mac, Classic on the Pre, and get true two-way syncing, then use the google solutions to sync to the Pre.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I use Chapura SyncManager because I still like my old Palm desktop for memos and addresses keep my calendar on Google. I do not use Outlook because I think it's insecure and no CIT department I've worked for will allow it.

No problems, great program. I really like the phone-based memo program. I use memos for saving everything and love this function.

BUT (besides the expense - see post above . . .)

I wish Chapura did a bluetooth sync and not just web. Pre to laptop is fine. At work, I use a wired desktop and do not have a wireless connection. So I'm stuck. Chapura says bluetooth is not to be forthcoming. Also, SyncManager is only made to work with one computer, not with two and Chapura says this will also not change. So at work I just rely on phone and the cloud.

I continually find it weird that PalmOS can do things that WebOS can't. (And yes, WebOS can do much more, but . . .)

Other very inexpensive apps sync my media.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP View Post
    Total cost: $19.11.
    If you go by this comparison, CompanionLink wins hands down.

First of all, you need to value your time. Also you need to think about what's going to happen when you buy a new computer, or a new phone.

CompanionLink for $39.95 will sync Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos in one shot from any version of Outlook (including Outlook 2010 64-bit) and any version of Palm Desktop to Palm Pre and Pixi. If you value your time, for less money than two tickets to Avatar you can have a permanent one-step sync solution for your phone.

And if you are like most of us, you have more than one PC. CompanionLink will automatically license for home and work, and it's no charge to move to another computer.

CompanionLink will sync to just about every other phone you can think of buying in the future. CompanionLink updates are free. So your PC Sync can stay the same, even for future Palm webOS phones, or any other phone you want.

With CompanionLink, the 14 trial is free. With CompanionLink you can get it all set up and running tonight, without any obligation or cost. That's $19.11 cheaper.

If you buy CompanionLink, and later decide you don't need it, you there is a 90 day guarantee so you can get your money back. None of the $19.11 products provides a 90 day money back guarantee. CompanionLink even provides free telephone technical support, which none of the other companies provide.

I'd strongly suggest spending "Free" today, to find out how much time a full service product can save, before you start spending $19.11. It's a good value.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Last edited by Clcto; 07/29/2010 at 07:55 PM.
  18.    #58  
    Interestingly, after trying the other apps, I've done something closer to what VTP suggested. My only difference is that I've been using Evernote instead of Notes. I like Evernote, but I don't like that I have to have an internet connection to use it. Does Notes automatically sync to google docs?
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

http://davehageman.com/wp-content/up...asy_button.jpg

I am busy, went with the poll stats - tried chupura - no; tried CL no go - remembered this post worked in 15 minutes!!!

Saved time too! Probably simple errors on the other ones but they did not go out of the box. Plus no wires no wireless ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by VTP View Post
    Don't buy Pocket Mirror - paying that much money is simply unnecessary. Come to think of it, the other similar solutions are also unnecessarily pricey. Here's one man's cheap and very smooth solution:

CALENDAR: Use Google Calendar Sync. Once you've set things up, you don't ever have to log in to your Google Calendar, you're simply using it as a bridge between Outlook and your Pre. You set the sync tool to run at your chosen interval for Outlook to sync with the Google Calendar (mine is set to every 2 hours); your Pre takes care of the rest. Cost = $0.

CONTACTS: gSyncIt from daveswebsite.com. I can't say enough about this little program. Highly configurable, you can sync all four with it; I use it for Contacts and Notes. Your Outlook Contacts go into your Google Gmail Contacts, which again in turn syncs with your Pre. So again, you set it and forget it (set your chosen sync interval in the gSyncIt settings), simply use Google as a bridge, and never have to actually log in to Gmail. (BTW, Dave's customer support is exceptional.) Cost = $14.99.

TASKS: Get yourself a free Toodledo account, then get the great Toodledo Outlook Sync Tool from chromadrake.com (also free) - that will sync all of your Outlook Tasks with Toodledo, just set your automatic sync interval. Then install the terrific Done! app on your Pre, and you're syncing your Outlook Tasks with your Pre. Again, you'll never have to actually log in to Toodledo, you just set it and forget it. Cost: Toodledo account = $0. Toodledo Outlook Sync Tool = $0 (but I donated). Done! app for your Pre = $1.62 (at time I purchased it two weeks ago). Total cost so far: $16.61.

NOTES: gSyncIt will sync your Outlook notes to Google Docs, at your chosen automatic interval. Then, get the Notes app by Inglorious Apps, which was $2.50 at time of my purchase two weeks ago. The Notes app has the very nice feature of being password-locked at startup - so even if you don't set a PIN on your Pre when you're out and about, you can still keep your sensitive information secure. You can set categories to mirror your Outlook Notes categories. Not as automatic in its syncing as the other 3, there is some minor manual updating you need to do when changes are made on the Outlook end rather than on your Pre, but very minor. Cost = $2.50. Total cost: $19.11.

So, by comparison, you can choose to pay Chapura $39.95, or invest a little brainpower and pay $19.11, less than half as much, and be syncing wirelessly through the cloud - no sync cables or WiFi connections required. If I can save just one fellow Palm user from unnecessarily paying their money to Chapura, while at the same time supporting small developers like those who have created gSyncIt, Done!, Notes, and the Toodledo Outlook Sync Tool, this post will have been worth it!
    I got a free copy of Mark/Space's The Missing Sync, and have been testing it out on my Pre (same process for Pixi and plus varieties) to see if it's worth while.

Short answer: NO. Don't waste your money.

Unless you like reading a lot of directions, chances are you will be frustrated by the convoluted workflow and seemingly random ways that the various pieces work together. The components fall roughly in a couple of categories:

Media (only syncs via USB, straightforward enough):
    • Music
    • Photos
    • Ringtones
    • Video
    • Folder

Missing Sync "Core" (syncs via Wifi; must input pairing code to pair with computer):
    • Calendar
    • Contacts

Missing Sync "Add-Ons" (syncs via Wifi; using a DIFFERENT pairing code to pair with same computer as above... why????)
    • Notes, with accompanying Fliq Notes on the Pre
    • Task, with accompanying Fliq Tasks on the Pre

Missing Sync "Orphan" (only syncs via USB)
    • Bookmarks, with accompaying Fliq Bookmarks on the Pre

Ok, so if you really spend the time and read through all the notes, this somewhat makes sense. But it gets worse...

1. The Missing Sync app on the Pre will initiate Wifi sync for the two "Core" modules (Calendar & Contacts), but NOT the "Add-Ons" (Notes & Tasks)
    2. To initiate Wifi sync for Notes & Tasks from the Pre, you must go into Fliq Notes & Fliq Tasks to do so.
    3. What about wired/USB sync? One would think that this method covers all the modules, you know, in case there's no Wifi network around for Wifi syncing. That is not the case. Even if you have all the appropriate module checked in the Mac desktop (home-base) version of the Missing Sync on your computer, it will ONLY sync the Media modules I've listed above, and the one Orphan module. Misleading indeed.

The saving grace, if you can call it that, is that all the Wifi-capable modules can be set to automatically sync at a most frequent interval of 15 minutes. But, that's assuming you hang around your computer & wifi network for that long.

Take, for example, the use-case of someone entering in a bunch of tasks and/or notes on the computer, and then either:

1. Initiates a Wifi sync via the Missing Sync app on the pre, mistakenly thinking that it will sync everything, only to find out that neither tasks nor notes are synced.
    2. Initiates a wired/USB sync thinking that this must surely cover everything, only to find out that neither notes nor tasks nor calendar nor contacts are synced.

On top of this, the Fliq apps still have bugs and haven't been touched since June. A quick google search and brief look through the app catalog will also reveal many complaints about Mark/Space's lack of enthusiasm to help and/or improve the webOS offering.

So, for $40... it's a huge waste of money to be throwing at a company that doesn't seem to care much about us. As others have pointed out in this thread, there are other ways to achieve the same thing. I'm glad I got mine for free, because I would've lost $40 paying for a crappy product. I was a former paying customer for the product on the Treo & Centro, but not anymore. They've lost my business with the beta release, and even more so with this current release.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast