View Poll Results: Which software is best to Sync personal information from your Desktop to WebOS?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chapura's PocketMirror

37 69.81%
  • Mark/Space's Missing Sync

6 11.32%
  • Companion Link for Google

10 18.87%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    If you are just looking to go to Google, for Contacts, Calendar and Tasks from Outlook or Palm Desktop you can use O2g:

Sync Outlook to Google, Gmail or Google Apps. Contacts, calendar and tasks | O2g Sync -

It's just $9.99
    If you use the over the air sync does it clear out your PC's outlook info?
    Quote Originally Posted by atremorer View Post
    I'm looking to find the best way to continue using Outlook on my home computer and have it link my information to my Pre. ...
    I had a look at the three programs mentioned in the poll above, too.

Please note that there are two solutions for WebOS from Companion Link - one for wireless sync between your PC, Google, and your Palm webOS phone (CL Wireless Sync for Google) and another one for syncing your PC data directly with your Palm webOS phone using the USB cable (CL USB Sync). I assume that you are more interested in the CL USB Sync than in the CL Wireless Sync for Google.

After checking the specifications of the three programs mentioned in the poll above I had to stick with CL USB Sync because it is the only program that supports Outlook 2000 on Win XP. I do not need to move away from my current PC system, so I did not test the other two programs.

Well, CL USB Sync works for me, although it requires to run a client on the Palm Pre as well as a client on the Pc for every sync which could be smoother, especially if youŽve been a hardcore Palm Os-User before becoming addicted to WebOS. And I definitely would prefer wireless syncing over USB syncing. The support of CL never answered to my e-mail regarding the possibility of wireless syncing. There is something called premium support at CL, but youŽll have to pay 100 USD for it ...

As far as I understand all of the three programs mentioned in the poll above have a price of round about 40,- USD. You may give CL USB sync a try at least.
    The future of HP/Palm and WebOS without updates to WebOS 2.x for older WebOS-devices? Last one turn of the lights.
  4.    #24  
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

One thing I want to make certain of is the fact that I have my personal calendar/contacts/tasks/memos in addition to the ones that are hooked to my work's Exchange server. I only want to sync my personal account. I'll let the exchange server sync work related things over the air since it works perfectly. I'm just trying to finally keep all my personal info separate from my work info.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
  5.    #25  
    I forgot to mention, I just loaded and have tried using Done! for Toodloo alongside the Outlook sync to Toodloo for tasks. It works really well. I'm very impressed.

On another note, I like Evernote OK, but don't like that it has to connect to the server every time you use it to get notes. Also, even though you can send things from Outlook to Evernote, you can't bring things back in.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

One thing I want to make certain of is the fact that I have my personal calendar/contacts/tasks/memos in addition to the ones that are hooked to my work's Exchange server. I only want to sync my personal account. I'll let the exchange server sync work related things over the air since it works perfectly. I'm just trying to finally keep all my personal info separate from my work info.
    Michael, my usage is the same as yours. I've had my Pre for a year now and was also disappointed by the PIM abilities. I tried several of these programs in the early stages (they were released and not working well) and decided upon Pocket Mirror. Support from them swayed my vote, as did their implementation.

My home PC Outlook contains my personal schedule, tasks, notes and calendar. At work, Exchange has my professional items. Synergy combines the two of them on the Pre well, though Pocket Mirror makes up for the Pre's two weaknesses - Tasks and Notes. Notes in particular are weak, and I don't know how you use them, but I transferred my work notes to my home PC and have them all in Pocket Mirror's notes. The native task manager has my work tasks (albeit this is poor, so I manage more from my work PC). My home tasks are on PM's task manager, and I can manage them well from either the Pre or the PC. Reminders/etc for tasks within PM are more flexible than the Pre's native software.

I like the OTA for Exchange updates, and at home I have a good wifi system so it's easy to sync once or twice a day for PM.

I don't regret having PM at all. In fact, the Pre's weakness in tasks and notes led me toward PM and pushed me to separate my personal and work items - they were combined on my work PC. Now I'm happy to have the two divorced and managed separately.

However, Palm's past strength was in PIM - and this is a downfall in the Pre. I hope they address it in the future, especially with the Exchange server side.
  7.    #27  
    JP99,
    Thanks fo much for your comments. I think you gave the most helpful comment yet.

I was very happy with both PocketMirror Pro and KeyContacts from Chapura on my Visor/Treos/Centro. I guess I'll have to check it out. Boy, wouldn't it be nice if they gave a discount since I've had two licensed products.

If you're trying to manage tasks from work, you may want to try the toodledo/Done! option for your work computer. You can use the Outlook Sync with exchange. I tried it and it works well.

Chromatic Dragon - ToodledoSync Application Information

So many previous Palm users have complained about the PIM capabilities on the Pre. I, too, hope Palm has been listening. They seemed to look too much at what people with iPhones seemed happy using and not looking at their previous user base as well. The iPhones were made more as a toy, rather than a tool.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

I have to speak up for CompanionLink. I use it with the Palm desktop. It works great, and their customer service is excellent.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    One caveat with PocketMirror: It does not support Outlook's categories. That may not be an issue unless, like me, you have thousands of conatcts that are categorized.

I have used Chapura's products since the Treo days and think their customer service sets the bar. Really an outstanding team producing an outstanding product. So it is a huge let down that they (both Palm AND Chapura) do not provide a complete PIM...complete sync with Outlook.

Lawrence
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    One caveat with PocketMirror: It does not support Outlook's categories.
    In defence of PM, it's webOS that does not support categories, so there is nothing PM can do with them
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I'm so glad you mentioned the Palm desktop and that CL does work with it. I haven't yet bought my Pre because I was trying to establish that I could continue using the same organizer that contains 11 years of data in privacy on my own PC and cable sync with my phone! I emailed CL asking if 4.1.4 is compatible with 2-way sync but they never answered. Which version do you use?
  12.    #32  
    Chapura has a product that syncs with Palm Desktop via wifi. It's called Echo.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Will PM sync over a VPN connection? Assuming the VPN server is on the same network segment as my PC with syncmanager?

Come to think of it, is there a webOS VPN app? Hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Never used Missing Sync, but if you are interested in some Media Sync stuff, then go with that. It can do Photos and Music from what I understand. But you might need to hook it up with a USB cable (ugh).
    Missing Sync works perfectly over WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    My main point was that Pocketmirror works wireless, and Missing Sync needs a cable!
    You can state that as often as you like, but you're still plain wrong!

I have the old Palm m515 and a Blackberry 9000. I am running Windows 7 on my notebook and Vista on my desktop. I can sync my m515 in Vista and using the XP Mode in Windows 7 using Palm Desktop 4.0. I tried the two way sync with companion link. I transferred the data from the m515 to the Palm Desktop using the two way sync. I used the two way sync between the desktop and the blackberry. The memos, contacts and addresses were transferred intact. The Palm Desktop lost all the contacts. I had to reinstall the Palm Desktop twice. The second time I had to remove all the Palm files from the C drive.
    AT&T recently added the Palm Phones to their available phones. I do not mind changing to a newer Palm. I just want to make sure it has the option for two- way sync and there is no data loss.
    I tried the Yahoo sync and the Outlook Express sync. The Yahoo mixed up all my E-mail accounts with my contacts. The notes were not easy to find. The Outlook Express notes did not post.
    Well, just to add more to the thread...Finally, Missing Sync for Pre has been upgraded so now Fliq Notes and Fliq Task syncs wirelessly with Missing Sync for Pre (PC/Mac). The desktop apps that Fliq Notes and Task syncs varies depending if you are using PC or Mac. Just curious, does anyone have experience with it? I mainly have more PIM info on Palm Desktop 6 from previous Centro, but have adapted by using Google Contacts/Calendar...but have not found something similar for Memos until I started using Inglorious App's Notes to sync with Google Docs. Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Tried Missing Sync first (mistake--no trial option--had to buy it to try it...). Worked for contacts fine--but when I added calendar it went downhill fast... Starting getting "SQLite" errors. Reported them to Tech support and after two weeks of "patch should be out soon" I decided to try PocketMirror (7-day free trial) and had not only my calendar and contacts done in a few minutes, but tasks and notes too...

Still waiting on my refund from Mark/Space (they said they'd give it too me... a few more days and this goes to my credit card company for resolution...).

So: PocketMirror +1, Missing Sync -1 (also didn't like that WiFi didn't work for other "syncing items" in MS's list [media]--had to wire-up... now use WiFi Media Sync from 8-bit Development to manage images, videos, etc.)

Note: hoping someone finalizes a VPN option so I can sync anywhere...
  19.    #39  
    All the extra possibilities (bookmarks, media, video, etc) of Missing Sync make it seem like a great alternative. However, if eichmat had all those problems, I'm a bit hesitant. I tried out Pocket Mirror and it worked great. The problem with PM was that it didn't allow me to select specific calendars or contact folders. Chapura informed me that they would be releasing a version that allowed calendar and contact selection with the next update (in a week or so).
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

With the release today, Pocket Mirror 3.0 now has the ability to sync multiple Contact and Calendar folders: See link

Side note on the Categories, as ChasT pointed out, since Palm's Calendar and Contacts apps do not support Categories, Chapura can't do anything about that. However, PocketMirror does support Categories in their Task and Notes apps since they are separate (and 100x better) than the Palm provided apps.

As a previous KeySuite user, I'd welcome Chapura also replacing the Contact and Calendar apps.
    Last edited by WoodWulf; 06/28/2010 at 07:49 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast