Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    I'm excited that I'll be getting a pre in the next few days. One thought passed my mind though, how can I easily get the contacts from my Nokia Xpressmusic 5800 phone to my new pre?

    I really don't want to enter all them in again manually. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this automatically? I read that the pre does not support transferring contacts via bluetooth, so that is out of the question.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    what carrier are you on? Can you export them to portable format like .csv or.pst?
  3.    #3  
    I'm on vodafone UK. I think I can export them using the OVI suite that comes with my nokia. If I can export them to csv or pst, what are my options?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tenkian View Post
    I'm on vodafone UK. I think I can export them using the OVI suite that comes with my nokia. If I can export them to csv or pst, what are my options?
    at that point, I'd import them to outlook and get companionlink to load them into your phone. It has a free trial period if you want to do it one time. Or you can use the google gmail outlook sync

    Palm also has a data migration tool on their web site, but I don't know what format it uses as a source.
  5. MiguelATF's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tenkian View Post
    I'm excited that I'll be getting a pre in the next few days. One thought passed my mind though, how can I easily get the contacts from my Nokia Xpressmusic 5800 phone to my new pre?

    I really don't want to enter all them in again manually. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this automatically? I read that the pre does not support transferring contacts via bluetooth, so that is out of the question.

    Thanks in advance.
    I had the exact same problem you did - I recently migrated from a Nokia e71x running Symbian to a Pre - and I had hundreds of contacts on the phone and the thought of either manually transferring them - or doing some kind of complicated file swap via a computer was scary. Furthermore I use Macs and the Nokia support software isn't Mac friendly, it only runs on PC's....so....what do do????

    My solution involved luck - when I went into the local store whom I bought my Pre from - here in the U.S. it was Sprint, the wireless carrier - the salesman who helped me was knowledgeable, friendly, and a Pre enthusiast. So I told him my problem and guess what he said?

    He said....No Problem! BECAUSE - in the Store - they have a cool little piece of electronic hardware which is a dedicated machine that you can plug almost any new phone (whether a smartphone or merely a 'feature' phone) into it - and it RETRIEVES all of the information from your contacts/addresses on your existing phone - and then can be used to transfer it (migrate it) to your NEW phone!

    Apparently the device works with just about all types of phones - and according to him, most "good" cell phone stores should have one in the store. So - if you're buying your Pre from a Store, see if you can get them to help you with it. If you're buying it from somewhere else - try to find some friendly salesperson in a local store who will help you anyway?!

    And - it really worked. ALL of the contacts were transferred and the information on my Pre was about 99 % accurate.

    Good luck.

    Miguel

    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
  6. #6  
    that's why asked about his carrier. Verizon has the same type of decice.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    at that point, I'd import them to outlook and get companionlink to load them into your phone. It has a free trial period if you want to do it one time. Or you can use the google gmail outlook sync

    Palm also has a data migration tool on their web site, but I don't know what format it uses as a source.
    I'd also suggest the the method I used when importing contacts. I just emailed the .vcf to myself, opened the email on the Pre, selected the attachment and it offered to import them.
  8. phil71's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #8  
    Thanks noco37. I've just done what you said from my Palm TX.
    What is really nice with my old and beloved Palm is that I can send by email (vcf) only one category of contacts. For exemple, I've just sent all the details of the restaurants I entered in my Palm TX.
    And now in a matter of seconds there are all in my Pre
  9. dsei's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #9  
    Do you have a Google account? Looks like they have a sync app that I assume is compatible with your device.

    Google Sync Services

    If you don't have a Google account, maybe you could create one temporarily just to move your contacts?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions