Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see that Gmail IMAP is not "supported" on Pre. Has anyone had success/failures?

On a side note, how do you guys deal with emails that come in during the middle of the night? I mean, do the notifications wake you up? I don't want to turn the phone off, or put it on silent, because I would want to hear a call, but I also wouldn't want to be woken up every time an email comes in.
    It works fine on the Pre you just dont get to use the multiple calendars with the imap setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    It works fine on the Pre you just dont get to use the multiple calendars with the imap setup.
    what do you mean by that? I get multiple calendars fine from my gmail acct
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Yikes. That's bad news. To be clear, if you are wanting to use multiple google calendars (like viewing my work, my personal, my wife's), I can't use IMAP?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    what do you mean by that? I get multiple calendars fine from my gmail acct
    Do you access gmail via IMAP?
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    I see that Gmail IMAP is not "supported" on Pre. Has anyone had success/failures?

On a side note, how do you guys deal with emails that come in during the middle of the night? I mean, do the notifications wake you up? I don't want to turn the phone off, or put it on silent, because I would want to hear a call, but I also wouldn't want to be woken up every time an email comes in.
    Yikes. That's bad news. To be clear, if you are wanting to use multiple google calendars (like viewing my work, my personal, my wife's), I can't use IMAP?
    I'm not sure what you mean about the IMAP issue (either of you).

GMAIL is slightly different than standard IMAP, among the differences, it uses nonstandard SSL ports. When the Pre was originally released, it immediately recognized @gmail.com accounts as GMAIL, and properly configured them; however, if you had a @<anything-else> domain, it would not recognize it as a GMAIL account. This forced the user to set up everything manually.

Not sure which version corrected this, but one of them did. My parsonsys.com account is properly recognized as a GMAIL account, and set itself up with no problem.

All of the multiple calendars I have are recognized.

I don't know if the notifications are silent when the Pre is on the Touchstone, or I just don't notice them; but the notifications don't wake me up, calls do, and the alarm does.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about the IMAP issue (either of you).
    Google says Gmail IMAP is not "officially supported" for Palm webOS devices at this time.

I guess I want to know if I read an email on the Pre, does it get marked as read on the server, and vice-versa?
    Yes it definitely does. It always has for me. I didn't do anything special for setting it up on my Pre, just entered my email address & password.
    I was wrong. my gmail is setup via imap and it works great and can view multliple calendars. I guess I forgot to change it to the default setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Google says Gmail IMAP is not "officially supported" for Palm webOS devices at this time.

I guess I want to know if I read an email on the Pre, does it get marked as read on the server, and vice-versa?
    Yes it does.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    No problems here using Gmail IMAP and multiple calendars. It all works so well it's one of my favorite things on the Pre. Love the calendar with Google Calendar!
    If I read this thread right, the original poster solved the problem he was having.
    I use IMAP Gmail and multiple calenders just fine.
    If there are still problems, shout it out. There are a lot of smart, nice people here.

OK, I tracked down the link you provided, which lead me to another link, and I think I understand.

The link above takes you to a page that does indeed say "Note: Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for Palm webOS devices at this time." "Officially supported" has another link. That took me to a page that had the following:
    Supported IMAP client listShare
    • Gmail
    • Blogger
    • Buzz
    • Orkut
    • Google Reader
    • Google Bookmarks

Comment Print You can set up the following mail clients or mobile devices to sync with Gmail. To learn how, click the name of your mail client or mobile device below.

If your client or device isn't listed here, we're not yet able to provide assistance with its configuration, but we suggest that you try out the instructions for other mail clients.

Mail Clients

• Outlook Express (Windows)
    • Outlook 2003 (Windows)
    • Outlook 2007 (Windows)
    • Apple Mail 2
    • Apple Mail 3 (Leopard)
    • Windows Mail
    • Thunderbird 2
    • Other*

Mobile Devices

• Android
    • iPhone
    • BlackBerry*
    • Palm webOS*
    • Symbian*
    • Windows Mobile 5*
    • Windows Mobile 6*
    • SnapperMail*
    That seemed to contridict the "not supported" notion, since Palm webOS is listed right there.

Then I noticed the asterisks. Following that, I saw below the client list, the following:
    * While we offer configuration instructions, we're currently unable to provide support for these clients.
    My interpretation of the "not officially supported" is that they mean they have written instructions, but you won't get support from Google beyond that on setting it up or problems you may be having. In other words, they won't provide you support.

I've had mine working with my two GMail accounts (gmail.com and parsonsys.com) for a year now. My wife has had it working for both as well since November. I don't think you're going to have problems.

I'll say this for you - no one's going to be able to accuse you of not doing your homework before buying...
    That is indeed a problem.
    Mark a new mail read in gmail, Pre recognizes it - after a while.
    Archive a new mail in gmail, Pre gets it instantaneously.
    Other way around: nope.

But all in all I'd say the Pre works very well with google's services. A friend of mine however uses the gmail-app instead of the native mailclient. Dunno, I love native clients
    There is a homebrew app called Mode Switcher. I haven't used it, so I can't tell you for sure whether it fits your needs.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/19/2010 at 08:51 AM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    There is a homebrew app called Mode Switcher. I haven't used it, so I can't tell you for sure whether it fits your needs.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    Thanks. This looks promising. I'd say I want a "mode" that only shut the email notifications off at a certain time of night, only when it is on the charger.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/19/2010 at 08:51 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'll say this for you - no one's going to be able to accuse you of not doing your homework before buying...
    It's a curse. I don't feel comfortable about a decision until I know every little detail about every little detail. I create spreadsheets and pros/cons lists, get active on forums like these (invaluable, by the way), etc..
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    This is such a weird conversation. Just some points of clarification:

IMAP and calendars have nothing to do with each other. Aside from that, there is no bug in webOS that makes the Calendar app unable to handle multiple Google calendars while the Email app has a Google IMAP account. (My guess is that the confusion on this stems from webOS automatically adding things like contact accounts and calendar accounts in their respective apps when you add an email account)

As far as read/unread status stuff goes, Google's IMAP implementation does not always pass status flags over an IDLE connection. This is "intentional" as far as what Google is saying. Things like moving a message or deleting a message (which is still just moving a message in this case) will sync over the IDLE connection. This is unlike common IMAP implementations these days that do pass status flags constantly through the IDLE connection.

I have 2 traditional GMail accounts, one Google Apps standard account, and one Google Apps premiere account. All IMAP, almost all with multiple calendars.
    download an app called battery saver. It engages airplane mode at whatever time you tell it. So, let your phone sleep while you sleep. Save battery, save cpu, and you dont need emails while you sleep. Have it turn on at 6am (for example), and your emails will pour in.

Or, move the phone to another room....
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    download an app called battery saver. It engages airplane mode at whatever time you tell it. So, let your phone sleep while you sleep. Save battery, save cpu, and you dont need emails while you sleep. Have it turn on at 6am (for example), and your emails will pour in.

Or, move the phone to another room....
    Airplane mode turns of the phone part as well, correct? I'd want to keep my phone calls coming in, just not the emails (or, at least the email sounds).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast