1.    #1  
    Great phone in many ways. A major disappointment is that Palm ignored all of its followers by failing to provide syncing for palm pda's with the palm pre. They also failed to include a video camera. No wonder the company is doing so poorly.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Did you just buy a Pre? Update to 1.4.1.1 to get video recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by Budnel View Post
    Great phone in many ways. A major disappointment is that Palm ignored all of its followers by failing to provide syncing for palm pda's with the palm pre. They also failed to include a video camera. No wonder the company is doing so poorly.
    I don't think ""ignored all of its followers by failing to provide syncing" is accurate at all.

First, they do provide syncing, to the cloud. While many of the old Palm users haven't accepted the idea, I'd say "most" have. Most certainly the notion that "all" prefer the old method is incorrect.

Palm also included a video camera in the device, they just did not originally provide software to access it. That was fixed some time ago though.
    get companionlink or pocketmirror. That's what I did. Didn't like having to pay for it but at leastt I had the option. With android, no chance at all.
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    I agree with the syncing (not a fan of "the cloud"). I use Chapura's Echo to sync with my Palm Desktop. It works like a dream.
    Nicky
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    A major disappointment is that Palm ignored all of its followers by failing to provide syncing for palm pda's with the palm pre.
    In case you haven't read the license agreements bundled with those PDA's. Palm has not owned PalmOS or the Palm desktop software for many years now. By making a clean break from that software, they are saving themselves a lot of licensing grief and possible lawsuits from the current owners of the suddenly irrelevant PalmOS.

Yes, the Pre sucks the chrome off of a trailer hitch ball when compared with my Treo 700P's calendar and PDA functions, but after having embraced the cloud and all that it can do for converging my life into one hand, I don't think that I could *ever* go back to the Treo ever again.....
    Well technically, you can sync your palm PDA with webos the first time you set it up. I don't know why you want to continue to sync after that unless you were attempting to use both devices with the same info.

Maybe that's not what the OP was getting at, but that's what he said. He didn't say anything about Palm Desktop Client.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think ""ignored all of its followers by failing to provide syncing" is accurate at all.

First, they do provide syncing, to the cloud.

No, they don't. They provide syncing to the Cloud for Contacts and Calender only.

They have indeed completely FAILED to provide syncing for Tasks and Memos. And frankly even if they did sync, those two apps are completely sad when compared to the PalmOS versions that are over 10 years old!

Why can't Palm give us good, robust, PalmOS-like Task and Memo apps AND have them actually sync to something?

If Palm REALLY wants to push the Cloud concept then they should develop their own Cloud services so they aren't held captive by Google waiting for upgrades (like a Calendar timezone fix for Facebook) or waiting for a new Google service (like memos). They can't claim to be all about the Cloud but then NOT sync 50% of the "core four" apps to the Cloud.

I wish Palm would revive the Palm Desktop and give users the option to sync to the Desktop only, the Cloud only, or BOTH! That would truly give the end user the best of all scenarios.

Eric
    Last edited by edfehrman; 05/11/2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    I agree. That's why I bit the bullet and got pocket mirror. I do most of my creating and organizin on a pc and then sync to the phone. The pocketmirror apps aren't bad.
    Actually when I replaced my PRE recently all my Memos and Tasks came back to the new PRE. So they are now synced with the palm profile too. I do agree about having a way to backup to my own computer, not just the cloud. I won't pay for the other mentioned programs. I'm waiting to see what happens, also, alot of the apps come with a way to make backups & I do keep a copy on my computer of the usb drive part of the PRE. It's working so far for me. I don't think I lost anything when I made the PRE switch. I'm very happy about that.