Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Has anyone else noticed a problem that AIM spim messages are getting through even though I've clicked on the "Block this User" button in the messaging app? When I goto the desktop version of AIM, it has added these people's screennames into the Blocked Users list, but I still continue to get messages from these people! They are requesting me to goto a link about purchasing han****s or something. I've never clicked on the links, but I'm not sure why these aren't actually being blocked! I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that AIM and Facebook are now compatible and maybe they're coming through FB chat, but showing up as AIM messages?? Anyone have any ideas on this?
    Does this only happen with spam messages? Can someone (a real person) that you've blocked still send messages?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Does this only happen with spam messages? Can someone (a real person) that you've blocked still send messages?
    I'm really not sure. I only have these spam sn's blocked. I will try to do some testing. I have the privacy settings on the desktop aim set to allow from everyone except those listed on blocklist. Those spame names are in there directly added from the pre's block user feature, but new messages from them still come across to the same name in the messaging app under aim.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    ok, I did some testing and found that if I block a friend, they can't IM me, so it's just the spam getting past the AIM block list!
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I have looked into this a little more and I don't have a solution yet since I can't figure out a way to get support from AIM or Google, but I think that AIM messages that are spam are actually coming from GoogleTalk. Google Talk allows you to chat with users of AIM and I think that bypasses the AIM block settings! Now I just need a way to block the address no matter what the service.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    same problem here
    I dont know if it was spam but I was getting messages from people who werent in my friends list. They werent sending links. It was just a bunch of heys and hi. This one person was really persistent on chatting with me. It was annoying. I stopped using it for a while.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I dont know if it was spam but I was getting messages from people who werent in my friends list. They werent sending links. It was just a bunch of heys and hi. This one person was really persistent on chatting with me. It was annoying. I stopped using it for a while.
    i've been having the same issues. They never stop trying to get me to talk any time of day or night, but they always show as being offline. If you reply they act like they know who you are and if you ask who they are they get all defensive. I have two more that have just started recently. I cant block them and its getting very annoying. Pretty sure they are bots.
    they're bots. Had the same 'person' spam me 3 times in a row (Skype).
    I did reply to one saying if I found out where they lived, I'd cut their head off & also in the same message, stated I'd blocked you 3 times & to leave me the alone.

over the top? Yes it was. So is the endless spam.

Draconian times call for Draconian measures.

Would I seriously cut someone's head off? Only if they cut mine off first.

haven't been spammed since, btw.........only a matter of time
    JonVon likes this.