Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Are those desiring desktop syncing really "stuck in 1997"? The bottom line as far as I am concerned is, "Does your technology serve your ability to give your opinion about what happened in 1997 or will it allow you to recall what you said, observed and did in 1997"?

I will even, for rhetorical purposes, presuppose that a "bullet proof" Internet could exist. But unless ones access to that Internet is through a OC-3 or greater gateway, it would be too painful to do the kind of queries on records from particular days in 1997 (let's say date:April 1st, article from:guardian.com, keywords: hybrid, biodiesel) that can be performed with ease on the desktop (unless one has an 8088 system).

So what happens in the reality of always too slow Internet access is that "sheeple" do simplistic queries in the cloud, receiving simplistic responses. The amnesia produced by this process allows its adherents to never consider that there could have been a better way, unless one is "stuck in the past".

Why be concerned about the useless past, when we need but get our technological direction from Cupertino every January and get our information from the "Aussie owned network" (absolutely no disrespect intended to Australians).

So let’s agree not to construct these false dichotomies of pitting convenient and pervasive cloud technology against processor speed local computing, they both have their place.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Tell that to the lady whose physically abusive ex found her because of info exposed by Google Buzz. Tell that to the people last week that had their full credit card numbers show up in google searches because of an error on a cloud service that google indexes. The list goes on. Ironically, you can google "google privacy criticism" and find lits of examples of how Google feels no need to ask permission about how they use my information once they have it...

I'm not paranoid. I know that I have to take ownership of what happens to my stuff.

Am I paranoid that I lock my house, and that I don't leave my keys in the car when I'm in the church parking lot?

I had no problem with the $40. It's a small price for me to be able to use the phone the way I want to. I realize that I may not be in the majority, and I was happy to pay to have the same choices I had with my Centro.

So a million people use Buzz and one person is physically abused because of it.

The statistics don't lie: thats a million in one chance.

You would have a better chance of being hurt in a car crash.

That sir is known as paranoia.

Using anecdotal evidence of a single event tied with emotional attachment is a fallacy of argument and is in fact very childish and immature.

I feel sorry for that lady but her husband abusing her has nothing to do with Buzz.

You grow up.
    OP i'd like to have choice. desktop syncing comes in handy when there is no internet connection and the cloud can fail sometimes...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Ok, so call me a newage yuppie...but why is everyone and their grandma asking for Desktop syncing?

Its really quite simple.

1. Even if you love Cloud syncing, Palm offers NO solution for syncing Tasks. So you can say I'm "stuck in the past" but I use my task list to organize and prioritize dozens of projects and its simply easier to enter that data on the Desktop. The WebOS built in Task list offers me NO way to enter data on the Desktop or to email or print my Task list to share with my project managers.

2. Along the same line, Palm offers NO solution for syncing Memos. I take LOTS of meeting notes on my Palm. When I get back to the office I need to be able to email these notes, cut and past them into reports, print them off for co-workers, etc. All of this is MUCH easier if I can quickly and easily sync my notes to the Desktop. I also create Memos on the desktop, its so much faster to enter data on a full size keyboard.

3. I'm on the road a lot and dont always have access to the internet. Its nice to be able to sit down, open my laptop and do work knowing that I can still easily access all my PIM info whether there is WiFi or not. Also, sometimes our internet service goes down, again, its handy to still be able to access all my data.

4. Entering data in the Google Calendar and Contcts in Gmail suck. I can enter data way faster and much more comprehensively in the Palm Desktop. So you may be happy with anemic calendar and contact functionality but many people prefer the much more robust functionality that Palm Desktop and Outlook offer.

5. Over the Air syncing of hundreds of Calendar items, Thousands of Contacts, etc. is SLOW. Not to my Palm Desktop. I could sync 2000 Contacts, a year worth of Calendar entries, hundreds of Tasks, and 1500+ Memos... all in less than a minute.

So there's 5 really good reasons, I could have listed more, and I didn't even mention the security issues since I'm not in the CIA, since apparently you believe only the CIA has a need for privacy.

PS: Since you don't work for the CIA either, please email me your contact info and be sure to include bank account numbers, credit card numbers, date of birth, Social Security Numbers, etc. Thanks!

Hope that helps!
    Eric
    Last edited by edfehrman; 05/11/2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling...
    I agree with the original poster...though I do recognize other folks have different needs...and I would like a better way to sync tasks and such...but I don't understand buying a phone that only syncs to the cloud and then *****ing and bemoaning the fact it only syncs to the cloud. Sometimes I think this forum would be a happier place if all of you would have just kept your treos...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So a million people use Buzz and one person is physically abused because of it.

The statistics don't lie: thats a million in one chance.

You would have a better chance of being hurt in a car crash.

That sir is known as paranoia.

Using anecdotal evidence of a single event tied with emotional attachment is a fallacy of argument and is in fact very childish and immature.

I feel sorry for that lady but her husband abusing her has nothing to do with Buzz.

You grow up.
    Grow up? The extent to which my specific needs and preferences line up with your view is the key indicator of my maturity? Really?

I was building salesforce automation on laptops in the 80's.
    I had my house networked before Al Gore invented the internet.

I don't think growing up is on my top 10 list of needs. I really do appreciate that you know better than I do what I need to do my job and secure information that is more valuable to me than your entire net worth.

You still haven't responded to those that want to come over because you probably don't lock your house. And someone asked for your credit card numbers, PINs, etc. Please post those.

I am not critical that you chose to sync to the cloud. If all of my contacts were facebook users from my high school, I would do it that way, too.

Thanks for sharing your amazing wisdom, and demonstrating that you have the future under control. Awesome, you are so gangsta.
    To those who use Pocket Mirror. This is from their site as to how it works.:
    At the end of the desktop installation, you will create a Chapura SyncManager Account which is used to establish and maintain the relationship between Pre and the PC. Synchronizations are initiated from Pre. When one begins, PocketMirror Standard contacts our servers, our servers locate the PC and broker the connection between the two. The synchronization is performed on your local PC and your data is transfer over your local network.

Did you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    To those who use Pocket Mirror. This is from their site as to how it works.:
    At the end of the desktop installation, you will create a Chapura SyncManager Account which is used to establish and maintain the relationship between Pre and the PC. Synchronizations are initiated from Pre. When one begins, PocketMirror Standard contacts our servers, our servers locate the PC and broker the connection between the two. The synchronization is performed on your local PC and your data is transfer over your local network.

Did you know this?
    Yes. The Pre and the PC have to know that they are the correct match, and where they are. The data being synced does NOT go through their server. It is only to make the connection on the local wifi. I'm not sure if it woks that way when syncing over Bluetooth.

I wasn't crazy about having to pay for pocket mirror, but I'm so glad I did.
    How about this reason - many large corporations (Fortune 500, 100k+ employees) won't let you store data in Google, nor even access Google mail/calendar from work? So your work stuff is now locked out of your Pre. However, these same companies, back in the day, allowed the use of Treos (provided they met lock-down restrictions).

Now things are a bit different, and more secure. Companies won't let you use personal devices, for good reasons. They will let you use their Blackberries, and increasingly, iPhones.

If HP is able to use their corporate clout to push sales, it won't help if the devices are useless without using Google.

Plus, in the cloud, how do I beam contacts, events, etc. to others? MS Exchange? That only works if the other person is on the same server. So it wouldn't do personal contacts, nor contacts between salespeople, vendors, consultants, or even employees if they aren't letting you into the Exchange Server.

So why should Palm/HP base their key feature on Google or Microsoft platforms/tools.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    So has anyone tried Chapura's Echo to synch to your Palm Desktop via wi-fi?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12