1.    #1  
    My Pre is my personal phone, although I sync my work email (Exchange) to it. It came as a surprise to me when my company released a note indicating that if my password is entered wrong too many times that they would wipe ALL DATA from my phone. I didn't even know this was possible!

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? A patch or an app or something that might block a remote data wipe?
    Exchange e-mail is stored on remote servers. Your phone only gets a synced copy.

If they remove the ability for you to sync your data, your phone is essentially 'wiped' of e-mail, contacts, and whatever else is synced with that Exchange account.

You can't prevent them from doing this, but you can send yourself a vCard containing all the contacts on your phone to back them up.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Exchange e-mail is stored on remote servers. Your phone only gets a synced copy.

If they remove the ability for you to sync your data, your phone is essentially 'wiped' of e-mail, contacts, and whatever else is synced with that Exchange account.

You can't prevent them from doing this, but you can send yourself a vCard containing all the contacts on your phone to back them up.
    That's what I thought at first too, but my company assures me that ALL data on the phone will be erased including personal information.
    It's physically impossible for your company to wipe any data that isn't store on their servers.

They have no access to your palm profile or any non-Exchange data on your phone.
  5.    #5  
    BTW I love Arrested Development.

"Lindsay, spit it out. That's not real happiness!"
  6.    #6  
    It's physically impossible for your company to wipe any data that isn't store on their servers.

They have no access to your palm profile or any non-Exchange data on your phone.
    Here is some Exchange information I found scanning the web:

Remote Device Wipe
    An administrator or the owner of the device can prevent the compromising of sensitive data by initiating a remote device wipe. After you initiate a remote device wipe, the device removes all its data the next time it connects to Exchange Server. Not only does this return the device to its factory default condition, it also removes any data stored on any storage card inserted into the device. Wiping the data prevents it from being compromised.

Here is some more information directly from Palm that may be of use:
    http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/.../58353_en.html
    Last edited by rebowling; 04/13/2010 at 01:14 PM.
    I guess it is possible. Palm even makes it available if you lose your phone.

I had no idea. I'm kind of shocked that a company would implement a policy of using it after a few wrong password checks...
  8.    #8  
    Me too...
    if you go on your palm profile you can remote wipe it.
    Actually, that is standard corporate practice. This is why big companies love Blackberries. Don't want company secrets falling into enemy hands .

In fact, many companies require this as part of any device which syncs to their Exchange servers. If it missing this part of the ActiveSync specs or the ability to require a password (like the Droids did - at least in the earliest implementation) they are prohibited.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I agree with C-Note. This is actually standard in most companies. Most devices have some form of this available. Not sure if it is the same with Exchange but with Lotus Notes Windows and Nokia phones you have the option to just wipe the corporate email. Devices like Palm, iPhone and Andriod. The only option is to wipe the whole phone.

In reading through Palm's information looks like you will lose photos, music, videos, and documents since they are not backed-up with your profile. Everything else should come back when you reload your palm profile. Good reason to always back up your phone if you have import files on your phone.
  12.    #12  
    I submitted a patch request to the developers to see if there is a way to block a remote wipe. I would hate to see a new WebOS version somehow break Exchange authentication or something like that, and then have my company wipe my phone as a result. Yeah I can always restore it but with all the customizations I have, that takes a while and I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...data-wipe.html
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts

Wanna bet? Last month, I had an iPhone set down by someone on my desk that was connected to Exchange. Out of curiosity, I sent it a device wipe command from Exchange. It wiped that phone clean within 2 seconds, and whacked it so hard that it even lost it's phone number provisioning! Wish that I had a video of how quickly it was wiped...and the look on the face of the person who left it on my desk when they picked up their new iBrick.....
    Yeah if you read the thread you'll see that I noted that I was incorrect. :-P
    More Apple iPhone remote wipe goodness in the news: Wipeout: When Your Company Kills Your iPhone

Question: Does anyone know if a remote wipe on a webOS phone will result in deprovisioning it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rebowling View Post
    My Pre is my personal phone, although I sync my work email (Exchange) to it. It came as a surprise to me when my company released a note indicating that if my password is entered wrong too many times that they would wipe ALL DATA from my phone. I didn't even know this was possible!

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? A patch or an app or something that might block a remote data wipe?
    Don't connect using EAS. If that is the only option, then connecting this way does give them the ability to remote-wipe your phone, and there is nothing that you can do about it. And it does, indeed, wipe it to where it was when you walked out of the store with it.
    : (){:|:&};:
    I thought webOS didn't support EAS's remote wipe protocol?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I thought webOS didn't support EAS's remote wipe protocol?
    From Palm's whitepaper, located here:

Remote wipe. • From the Exchange management console, IT administrators can initiate a remote wipe command that clears all data from the user’s phone. Remote wipe can be used to clear data from a stolen phone and also to prepare a phone for transfer from one employee to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    More Apple iPhone remote wipe goodness in the news: Wipeout: When Your Company Kills Your iPhone

Question: Does anyone know if a remote wipe on a webOS phone will result in deprovisioning it?
    No, it will not deprovision it. I wiped mine as a test to see what would happen. Everything in your palm profile will come back. Everything you installed from the app catalog will be re-downloaded (and your phone will get HOT! :-) ). Data about patches seems to remain intact, however, even with the patches no longer existing. So, to be safe, after a remote wipe, you should doctor your phone and then re-install patches and such.