Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've accidentally sync'ed my facebook contacts to my Pre several times now. I absolutely love the idea of it. Automatically adding a picture, email, phone number, birthday, etc for all of your facebook friends is amazing. The only problem is that it adds all my friends (200+).

I don't want to unfriend all these people and then sync, because I actually like following these friends. I just don't happen to want them all in my phone.

It'd be great if Palm allowed us to choose a facebook "group" of friends to sync. Anyone else see the value in this? It'd make this awesome synergy feature useful for many more people.
    I have 600 friends. It doesn't matter since you shouldn't be scrolling through your contacts to call people. Just use universal search.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I have 600 friends. It doesn't matter since you shouldn't be scrolling through your contacts to call people. Just use universal search.
    We have a Winner^^!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    I don't even open the contacts app (or email or messaging for that matter) just universal search and pick how I want to contact the person. So much easier then scrolling through contacts and really the only feasible way if you have hundreds (or thousands) of contacts
    universal search is the way to go now... i have my facebook contacts and seeing their info ie bday, email sometimes phone number is really great...

sometimes i think of a friend and would like to send an email and with universal search, you can look them up and if they have their email listed, you can email them right away!
  6.    #6  
    I'm all for universal searching. The problem is linking the contacts. You have to do this every time you get a new Pre (and with the Pre's build quality, that can be quite often). I'm pretty particular about keeping my contacts well sync'ed and ordered.

That was my main concern: linking contacts. It probably takes me about 1 - 2 hours to do that each time I get a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre_daddy View Post
    I'm all for universal searching. The problem is linking the contacts. You have to do this every time you get a new Pre (and with the Pre's build quality, that can be quite often). I'm pretty particular about keeping my contacts well sync'ed and ordered.

That was my main concern: linking contacts. It probably takes me about 1 - 2 hours to do that each time I get a new phone.
    Not sure where/how you keep your contacts, but I would suggest google (some form of cloud). You should load the patch "save all via email" from preware....activate the function, email to self, save on computer, then import to google.

After you do this, you can add/delete facebook or other accts as often as you desire and it should never take more than 5-10max for each acct. Facebook (a cloud acct) will probably be the biggest adn take the longest (no more than 5-7mins)

I don't sync facebook or any other social media. I've always kept my contacts well ordered (about 3,000) in Outlook. That's why I bought Pocket Mirror and I only sync contacts with Outlook on my local PC. I synced Facebook when I first got my Pre and I didn't like the results because Palm somehow managed to leave "categories" out of the WebOS address book. A major flaw for me.

In figuring all this out, I wiped my phone several times and determined that I would not sync any contacts from any "cloud" accounts I have. That has worked very well for me.

Bottom line is that there isn't any useful contact info (other than profile picture) that I don't already have in Outlook. I am so old-school. Hopefully Palm (or a homebrew hero) will add a field to the contact app for "category" like every other PIM on the planet (including PalmOS...)
    +1 for yes, and universal search. I don't mind all those contacts, as they are easy to get to, and are there in a pinch if I need them.

I have my contacts all in gmail and also sync with FB. When I doctored my phone the contacts were still linked. I assumed the links were held in your Palm profile.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I was under the impression that my pre linked fb and google contacts automatically if the names were the same. Some of my fb contacts use hyphenated names or weird characters for style or what have you and I did have to link those contacts manually. But all the others linked on their own. Universal search with contact linking is one of my favorite features and I would be sad without it on a future device.
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    With or without universal search I don't like having loads of contacts that I will never call.

How hard can it be to perfect the function by implenting some kind of screening ie allowing sync of certain groups.
    I only have 200 facebook friends, but even if i had 10 000 i'd be fine... I use universal search, and i love it.. A fair amount of my contacts have their number up.. I just wish there was an app that showed me which ones don't so i could ask them all when i'm at school one day..
    Universal search FTW!!!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Not sure where/how you keep your contacts, but I would suggest google (some form of cloud). You should load the patch "save all via email" from preware....activate the function, email to self, save on computer, then import to google.

After you do this, you can add/delete facebook or other accts as often as you desire and it should never take more than 5-10max for each acct. Facebook (a cloud acct) will probably be the biggest adn take the longest (no more than 5-7mins)
    Thanks RoverNole..... That's a good idea. Up until now I've just been using my Palm Profile for contacts. Which is fine as long as a keep a webOS phone, but I'm SOL if I ever decide to jump ship.

Installed the email contacts patch and am gonna give google contacts a whirl. Hoping for the best.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Universal search or not you are all ignoring the simple fact that it shouldn't be this way...It's not like this on other phones. It should ONLY upload info for existing contacts, thats how it works on BB/iPhone if your contact matches one on FB it will add their picture/email.

There is NO logical reason to have all 200-300 FB friends in your cell phone..thats stupid regardless of having to scroll through them or not. I dont know about you but once and a while I like to scroll through my contacts to see who all is in there and who can be deleted since I may not have talked to them in forever (or dont want to)...scrolling through an extra 300 FB contacts half of which don't even have phone numbers attached is stupid...

This is a simple fix that someone at Palm should be able to do...universal search FTW is not the answer...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    Universal search or not you are all ignoring the simple fact that it shouldn't be this way...It's not like this on other phones. It should ONLY upload info for existing contacts, thats how it works on BB/iPhone if your contact matches one on FB it will add their picture/email.

There is NO logical reason to have all 200-300 FB friends in your cell phone..thats stupid regardless of having to scroll through them or not. I dont know about you but once and a while I like to scroll through my contacts to see who all is in there and who can be deleted since I may not have talked to them in forever (or dont want to)...scrolling through an extra 300 FB contacts half of which don't even have phone numbers attached is stupid...

This is a simple fix that someone at Palm should be able to do...universal search FTW is not the answer...
    Having all your FB accounts in your phone is great with the FB chat patch... just an FYI of a good reason to have them all in your phone...
    I dont know if this has been discovered or not, i tried searching the forums...

Everyone hates the fact that you cant pick and choose which facebook friends show up in your contacts list. I realized a simple way to achieve this goal! Create a new contact called facebook friends or whatever u want, and then link everyone u dont want in your contacts to it!! Thats it,then it leaves u with one contact instead of hundreds!

Im sure someone has figured this out before me, but like i said i couldnt find it in the forums so it would be nice if someone would respond to let me know! Thanks hope this helps people!
    I've got almost 400 FB friends.. and sync them all. Wish there would be an official update with FB chat finally! But the universal search handles it all flawlessly. Got well over a thousand contacts from family, friends, work synced to my phone. Works great!
    if you dont like the idea of having all those facebook contacts on your contacts app,, just create a contact saying "Facebook Friends" and sync all of them to there and problem solved
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast