1.    #1  
    hello
    removed my email accounts as suggested in a thread to get better battery life after 1.4.1.1. So far, I don't notice a diff. I disconnected USB cable, and it jumped down to 98%. Wait, not 95%.

Anyway. I had my gmail setup before with manual settings for IMAP. I just stumbled onto a GMAIL setting in the mail type drop down option of the manual settings.

Does anyone know the diff between those? In other words, how does choosing the GMAIL setting behave? I would like to go with the imap option to leave the msgs on the server, and not download them to phone (POP).

thanks
    POP settings will surely help your battery life. When you use POP settings it is a one way data transmission: from Gmail to your phone. If you use IMAP your phone will also send data to Gmail to sync your emails after you read or delete them. If you never use your desktop to check emails then POP settings are the way to go.
    Basically, selecting GMail automatically sets the proper ports. GMail uses secure ports, with IMAP you have to manually set the proper ports for them to work with GMail.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I have POP mail setup and there is an option in the Preferences of the Pre account to leave messages on the server. I don't use gmail though. I use Optimum mail with a desktop as my main mail process. thorne
  5.    #5  
    thanks all.
    parsons---do you know if when selecting Gmail as a setting, it behaves as IMAP or POP?
    Prob IMAP, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    thanks all.
    parsons---do you know if when selecting Gmail as a setting, it behaves as IMAP or POP?
    Prob IMAP, right?
    Yes, it's IMAP with secure port settings.