1.    #1  
    Working on my first 24 hours with a Sprint Pre, so far pretty good. My IT guy couldn't sync my outlook email, calender, contacts with my Pre. He ended up calling Palm support from my office and still couldn't do it.

I am will to overlook this for now, I mean, I know it wasnt going to be like the Blackberry.

Here's my question...Should I install Preware before syncing to outlook? I know it may be a dumb question, but I just wanted to check. I am really want to play with my Pre, but I afraid i might mess up something.

Thanks
    My outlook sync works great. Just make sure you have the right servername and domain. I had to leave the domain blank and do my username like this:

domain\username

to get it to work.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by lou27md View Post
    Working on my first 24 hours with a Sprint Pre, so far pretty good. My IT guy couldn't sync my outlook email, calender, contacts with my Pre. He ended up calling Palm support from my office and still couldn't do it.

I am will to overlook this for now, I mean, I know it wasnt going to be like the Blackberry.

Here's my question...Should I install Preware before syncing to outlook? I know it may be a dumb question, but I just wanted to check. I am really want to play with my Pre, but I afraid i might mess up something.

Thanks
    Are you trying to synch with Outlook (desktop clinet) or Exchange (Server)?

My company won't let me snch with exchange, so I sync to my Outlook client on my PC (and my PC stays in sync with the server).

I use PocketMirror for that. There are several other apps that can do the same thing. All have a trial period so you can check them out.

Just don't sync from more than one becaue the Pre will see the contacts will see wach sync program as a unique source. It will duplicate your contacts. Of course Synergy will combine them on the phone... but YMMV as to what that would look like to Exchange. It didn't duplicate them in Outlook for me because I set it up to only sync FROM the PC ONLY so I could test them, and I noticed it before I had turned on the bi-directional setting.

If you get Exchange working, I'd love to hear how. I am remote and can only get to our exchange server via VPN so I have no idea how I could get to the exchange server behind the firewall and on a non-routable IP address...

Any ideas? If I could figure that out (or find a VPN client for WebOS) I could throw away the blackberry that I have to use and use my Pre+ for everything. That would be sooooo groovy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    My outlook sync works great. Just make sure you have the right servername and domain. I had to leave the domain blank and do my username like this:

domain\username

to get it to work.
    How does that work if the Exchange server is on it's own vLAN using non-routable IP address?

I work remotely and I can only get to the exchange server over a vpn connection.

As far as I know, I could only use EAS if I was in our main office where I could Wifi to the internal network. True?

If that is the case, then I still have to pray for a VPN Client.

I've heard that from enough people that I'll bet a VPN client would win Palms current $1million developer challenge if there are and developers here that have some "spare" time...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Are you trying to synch with Outlook (desktop clinet) or Exchange (Server)?

My company won't let me snch with exchange, so I sync to my Outlook client on my PC (and my PC stays in sync with the server).

I use PocketMirror for that. There are several other apps that can do the same thing. All have a trial period so you can check them out.

Just don't sync from more than one becaue the Pre will see the contacts will see wach sync program as a unique source. It will duplicate your contacts. Of course Synergy will combine them on the phone... but YMMV as to what that would look like to Exchange. It didn't duplicate them in Outlook for me because I set it up to only sync FROM the PC ONLY so I could test them, and I noticed it before I had turned on the bi-directional setting.

If you get Exchange working, I'd love to hear how. I am remote and can only get to our exchange server via VPN so I have no idea how I could get to the exchange server behind the firewall and on a non-routable IP address...

Any ideas? If I could figure that out (or find a VPN client for WebOS) I could throw away the blackberry that I have to use and use my Pre+ for everything. That would be sooooo groovy.
    I was thinking of trying pocket mirror. I think the network might be the problem. I am going to do some research on PM, I'll let you know. Thanks
  6.    #6  
    The guy on the phone at palm told me to use this...

Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows
    it is the same server (a proxy) that we use for Outlook Web Access.

Ours used to require a vpn, too, but not anymore. I can use Outlook from home on my NASA laptop use the web based email. And my Pre keeps up to date wirelessly. It is heavenly how all my emails from all accounts can be managed together or separately, however I want!

Good luck! It is really up to your company's IT policies, but the Pre works great with EAS.
    That is a one-time-only solution to get your Palm phone populated. After that, it will sync with your Palm Profile. If you aren't able to sync with Exchange at that point, your Palm and Exchange will not stay synced. The PocketMirror or CompanionLink solutions allow youto continue syncing your phone with your Outlook client. That's the model that was used with the Palm Desktop.

That's how I am doing it because I can't let my company contact info sync to Palm, Google, or any other cloud.

The guy on the phone at palm told me to use this...

Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows
    Should I install Preware before syncing to outlook? I know it may be a dumb question, but I just wanted to check. I am really want to play with my Pre, but I afraid i might mess up something.
    Preware has no effect at all on the normal functionality of the device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals