1.    #1  
    I've seen several options for cloud storage posted: ZumoDrive, Dropbox, Evernote, Google, etc. In thinking about it, I pay a healthy fee for my own web service with tons of storage and bandwidth...so I could easily set up my own "cloud storage".

But what software to use..both on the web server and the Pre? I suppose it could be as simple as Secure FTP, assuming there is a SFTP client available for the Pre. But are there other more robust options that anyone knows about? Obviously I need software for both sides of the equation.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Having a single server isn't considered being in the cloud.

When there is a cloud setup, it means (typically) dozens to thousands of servers in a FULL redundant setup throughout the world (sometimes).

They also typically have a CDN (content delivery network) of their own built into the cloud.

You can get a 10GB cloud of your own for usually $100/mo (doesn't come with much, low amount of ram, typically 256mb)

If you do have a cloud setup, you just need an FTP client and you're good as the servers should sync themselves.

As of now, there is no SFTP client for the Pre, nor can you release a PDK app until Palm includes the full PDL libraries needed by the PDK in a future WebOS update.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    What exactly would make an app a "PDK" app vs the apps being released now using the SDK?

Not too concerned about the terminology of what constitutes a "cloud". Mostly just don't see a reason for me to pay for storage when I already do. I just need some clean methodology to do something similar to dropbox or pogoplug but to use the space I have available on my web service provider.

Thanks for the response.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    I suppose you could use rsync+ssh to do some of what you want. You could ask the guy that did the "wifi media sync" to come up with a solution for *nix hosts.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-ala-zune.html
    I just setup my own ftp server by using my NAS (D-Link Dual-bay running Raid 1) at home. Its not as redundant as some of the 'cloud' services, but its accessible locally and doesnt use my data (dont want to go over my Comcast cap of whatever the number is going to be this month). Too bad that there isnt an FTP app for the Pre.
    Can't understand why people actually WANT to upload all their data to THE cloud...

I also looked for a nice file service, the problem is that all newer web file manager rely heavily on Ajax and big screens.

I found phpWebFileManager - Hosted at SourceForge.net , its a simple and nice script that fits my pupose, maybe I'll create a better user Interface that fits the screen better. You would also need some Authentication ( apache .htaccess? ) and SSL for https and you voila, your own webbased file Service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    What exactly would make an app a "PDK" app vs the apps being released now using the SDK?
    A PDK app is one built using C or C++ and that relies on C/C++ libraries from Palm.

The SDK apps are the ones built using JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. (web technologies)

PDK apps are meant to be for games or things that need 3d.
    SDK is for everything that isn't too resource intensive.
    Not too concerned about the terminology of what constitutes a "cloud". Mostly just don't see a reason for me to pay for storage when I already do. I just need some clean methodology to do something similar to dropbox or pogoplug but to use the space I have available on my web service provider.
    If that is the case, then all you need is some way to authenticate along with a nice PHP script and you're golden.

Upload via FTP (or SFTP) and you can download the files through SSL (even through a self signed certificate since it is for you only) or through non-SSL.

You could make a UI however you wanted and then save the login credentials in a cookie on your Pre/Pixi. Then just request the file from the PHP script with your credentials each time:

Code:
    getFile.php?user=MyUserAcct&pass=MyPaSSwOrD!23$5&fileToGet=myFavoriteSong.mp3
    and then have the PHP script get the file info (read that it is an MP3 and declare file type MP3) and read the file source to the PHP output. Then the file will download and play (or open, what have you) on your WebOS device.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I left a cloud in my car right now, lol.
    I haven't found the time to play with this yet, and am not sure if it will work with webos, but something like the following might be what you are looking for. EyeOS - Cloud Computing Operating System | Web Desktop - RIA Framework - Web Office - your files and applications everywhere

I think there are some issues with it an the iphone, but it might be something to keep an eye on in the future.
    What exactly do you want to keep in "the cloud?" Is your "web service" shared hosting? Do you want to access ALL of that data via WebOS? Unfortunately, WebOS doesn't read all file types.

If you just want email, calendar, contacts, tasks, you could get exchange hosting for $10-$15 month. This could come from a web hosting provider too. Alternatively, you can run your own Kerio mail server.

As far as files, you could use a computer/NAS at your home to provide remote access. You could use Opera Unite for simplicity. Or, as you suggested, you can use FTP...either hosted at home or through a paid provider.
    Last edited by Seedillume; 03/29/2010 at 07:58 AM.
    I'm not sure if it's quite what you're after, but have you considered installing subversion and using that to sync your data? If you google for "keeping your life in svn" you should find an article by Joey Hess about how he handles /home across multiple machines.

Cheers, Steve