Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Ever since the 1.4 update, the AOL "Sent" folder (on my Pre) does not show email I've sent or replied to FROM my Pre. My computer also does not show any record of email I've sent FROM my Pre. However, if I send mail from my computer, it does show up on the Pre.

Interestingly, the "Sent" folder on the Pre is greyed out so you cannot access it to make any changes. All of my other email accounts (yahoo, gmail) sync perfectly. AOL syncs incoming mail fine; just outgoing mail is the problem.

Is this a Palm issue or an AOL issue? Anyone know a patch or a fix for this? I don't want to go back to an earlier version of webOS but I REALLY need these outgoing emails to sync.

I hate AOL... =-)
    Last edited by jifmom; 03/26/2010 at 07:49 AM.
    it's both palm and AOL issue.

AOL sent an email indicating sent mails are no longer automatically saved to the Sent Items folder..

and palm does not have the ability to change the folder to a different one (greyed out)

I have the same problem as well, and it sucks.

we need a Dev to ungrey that box!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks for your quick reply. I don't recall receiving that email from AOL stating the changes.

Do you think this is a problem that anyone (Palm or AOL) is trying to resolve or do they just not care? Why in the world would they remove that feature -- wonder if it was intentional or a glitch?
    i remember seeing that email from AOL. What i cannot figure out is where in AOL mail on the browser can i adjust the settings so that it goes to my sent mail. ANyone?
    you can't.

because the pre is greyed out, and does not allow you to change the sent folder.
    Hey Jifmom:

I have one of my emails on AOL and the "Sent Items" works fine. You could try deleting the account and re-adding it back. I'm not sure why yours is that way but mine works fine if that's any glimmer of hope. It can be done. FWTW

notimeoff
    + The Search Function is your Best Friend!
    + Reading the Entire Phone Manual can be Very Enlightening!
    + Want to thank someone here for helping you? Throw them a "Thanks"!
    @notimeoff : which country are you in?

which server settings are you using? Imap.aol.com??

sent folder is not working, try to send an email on your pre with your AOL account and log online on your desktop to webmail.aol.com, and check the sent folder..

unless you are using a different server for aol mail, I find it hard to believe
    trim81:

I am in USA and using IMAP. I have no reason to post here, if it were not true.

Need a snapshot?

notimeoff
    could you please go to your server settings and see what the server address is using?

imap.aol.com? Ssl?

I have about 12 palm pres over here. And I know for a fact the sent mails sending FROM the Palm pre does not snc with the Sent folder online.

Note: sending mail FROM webmail.aol.com or AOL desktop DOES show up on your sent folder.

however, anything that sends from the Palm Pre does not show up on the sent folder

we've been having this problem for a few weeks now.

An AOL email has been sent to all users: and it was brought up before on this forum

I can post the email again, but I am mobile at the time being

(search the forum for AOL issues lately)
    I am having the exact same problem. I don't think palm or aol really care. Inevitably, people will post that this is what you get for sticking with AOL. They are probably right.
    This is the email that the AOL team sent out about Sent Mail:
    Dear (name),

If you access your email using third party software, such as Outlook or Thunderbird, please read this important message.

We want to inform you of a change to our email infrastructure that will result in copies of sent emails no longer being automatically placed in your Sent folder when sent via third party email software, as of Tuesday, February 2, 2010.

In order for you to continue having your sent emails automatically placed in your Sent folder on February 2, 2010 or later, you will need to make a change in your email software settings no later than February 1, 2010. Please note that you will not be required to enter your AOL login and password as part of this process.

Below are links to help articles on how to update the settings for the most common email software

Outlook 2007

Outlook 2002/2003

Outlook Express

Thunderbird for Windows and Mac

Mail on Mac OS X

Please make the necessary updates as soon as possible.

The infrastructure change we are making will only affect email sent through third party email software. Email sent using AOL software (AOL 9.0, 9.1, 9.5, Desktop), AOL webmail, or a mobile device such as a Blackberry or iPhone will continue to have copies of sent email placed in the Sent folder.

Thank you for using AOL Mail.

Regards,
    The AOL Mail Team
    I have the Sent mail folder and it's not grayed out, but there's no new email in there since the date of 2/11/2010.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

I can not say that AOL Desktop 10 works. I use 9.5. My Pre has smtp.aol.com = outgoing
    and imap.aol.com = incoming

hope that helps...

notimeoff
    notimeoff

could you try to send an email outgoing from your AOL (on the pre) to a gmail account.

then after sent from the Pre, logon to webmail.aol.com and look at the sent folder.... See if the message is synced.
    I do not use gmail. However I can tell you if I sent to my Exchange account it saves it in sent.

notimeoff
    I don't know whatever it is you are doing, but I still find it hard to believe.

this is a known issue (even mentioned on the official Palm boards)

also, some iphone users are expriencing the issue since the email above, but for iphone users, they have the ability to change the sent folders to one of the SAVED/Sent on AOL as outlined in the above email
    no need to prove anything thoug -glad it's working for you I guess
    hmm... I'm not sure why either. When dealing with AOL stranger things have been know to happen. I will try to investigate it a bit more tonight. If I find anything... note-able. I will be sure to post. Sorry if my posts did not find the all the answers, I was only trying to help out.

notimeoff
    Yep, AOL no longer saves sent messages to the sent mail folder automatically. You can save messages in the AOL sent mail folder if the application you're using to check and send emails allows you to customize where to save sent messages ie. like chattermail lets you do.

I decided to ditch AOL because some of their recent changes. The easiest thing to do if this is really important to you is create a gmail account that acts as a wrapper around your AOL email. You check and send messages using your gmail account but everything you send looks like it came from your AOL account. Make sense? Your friends never have to know your gmail address.
    For many many years..... since the mid 90's I've been with AOL and when they decided to stop charging for email and give us free imap I was really happy. However, there are some people that give me a hard time because they think only n00bs use AOL. However, with these new changes I'm just gonna completely ditch AOL.

Why are they doing this?
    When you send an email there are two ways you can get your sent emails in your SENT folder. You can have your email server make a copy of it on the server. This way you don't consume bandwidth or you are responsible for it. They other way is by making your email software do it. This can be a pain in the **** if you are sending attachments. The problem is that AOL is trying to save processing power by making us responsible for saving our emails. Forget it! I'm out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    For many many years..... since the mid 90's I've been with AOL and when they decided to stop charging for email and give us free imap I was really happy. However, there are some people that give me a hard time because they think only n00bs use AOL. However, with these new changes I'm just gonna completely ditch AOL.

Why are they doing this?
    When you send an email there are two ways you can get your sent emails in your SENT folder. You can have your email server make a copy of it on the server. This way you don't consume bandwidth or you are responsible for it. They other way is by making your email software do it. This can be a pain in the **** if you are sending attachments. The problem is that AOL is trying to save processing power by making us responsible for saving our emails. Forget it! I'm out.
    Well ppl that still use AOL for dialup are indeed n00bs - AOL is going the way of Netscape. and from my troubleshooting with friends n family - the sooner the better!

Gmail is much better for free - and hotmail's not bad as well...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast